First-known iPhone worm 'Rickrolls' jailbroken Apple handsets

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 99
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Perception is reality, without jailbreaking there would be no headlines screaming "iPhone Virus" period.

Perception is subjective. Those that are ignorant enough to only read the headline and believe that 1) it is a virus and that 2) it affects iPhones in general or 3) all jailbroken iPhones are going to believe what they want to believe. Just as those that feel jailbreaking is somehow evil will rationalize that this worm is the fault of jailbreakers in general.
  • Reply 82 of 99
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Perhaps you'd like to inform the 300+ news sites which come up in a search involving "iPhone" and "virus" about how they are wrong.

Apple didn't make my decision to buy an iPhone, I did, if I wanted something to mess with I could have got a WinMo phone and headed over to XDA developers or a Symbian phone, Android phone or whatever.

"jailbreak" and "worm" doesn't bring up more? Interesting since this doesn't effect all iphones...

Also, you and I are on the same page about going with Windows Mobile if they're looking for total control over the phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The coder put it in the comments in the source...

Sure, there are other options. WinMo is just the closest thing to a joke to hold up as an alternative.

Perhaps for the same reason HTC is shifting quickly away from WinMo to Android. Why would HTC still ship Leo? For those suckers that cling to a sinking ship. Most major WinMo vendors are shifting away.

true enough

Like having to hunt down useable ROMs for your WinMo? That is a shame. I always find it funny that the guys that rant about how easy it is to flash their WinMo ROMs to get the functionality they want (as though JB'ing is any more difficult) are the same ones running to XDA begging for a stable ROM.

1.) Exactly. Apple didn't, the coder did. "someone else" as in someone other than Apple. Admittedly my conspiracy theory was a joke with obvious flaws so I'll stop discussing it lol.

2.) Not really. In terms of having control over as many aspects as possible, WM is leader here. It's got the longer history as it's advantage. Back when nothing else was around, what else would geeks play with? Now, some years later, geeks are still finding very interesting and creative tweaks.

3.) There's no quick shift away from one or the other. If anything, there's a quick adoption of Android, and that's it. Besides that, HTC isn't the only manufacturer who continues to make WM phones. Why would companies invest so much if it was such a sinking ship?

4.) k

5.) What do you mean usable? The stock rom on my TP2 was EXTREMELY usable and when custom roms came out for it, there really was no need whatsoever to rush into a custom rom, unless you wanted to do it for eye candy.

The fact that I can go find a community that regularly posts updated roms containing the latest and greatest is a definite PLUS not any kind of negative. See, in your mind, you think as soon as someone has a WM phone, they just HAVE TO flash a custom rom. I ran the stock rom on my Touch Pro 1 for almost an entire year before trying a custom rom. The custom rom was a bit snapper, and had facebook and youtube integration in the album, but wasn't leaps and bounds away from the stock rom.

I always find it funny the guys who know nothing of the things they talk about dismiss anyone else who's been through it and can give an honest opinion.

I wouldn't steer you wrong on this. I'm not gonna lie and say WM is as smooth as the iphone OS, but it DEFINITELY isn't as bad as you iphone guys believe.
  • Reply 83 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

1.) Exactly. Apple didn't, the coder did. "someone else" as in someone other than Apple. Admittedly my conspiracy theory was a joke with obvious flaws so I'll stop discussing it lol.

2.) Not really. In terms of having control over as many aspects as possible, WM is leader here. It's got the longer history as it's advantage. Back when nothing else was around, what else would geeks play with? Now, some years later, geeks are still finding very interesting and creative tweaks.

Subjective at best. Anecdotally, I'm a developer in a software house that does some (little) WinCE/WinMo work. Not one of the WinMo devs where uses a WinMo phone. BB, Pre and iPhone, but no WinMo. But then, they have to work with the shit everyday, so I guess they know better.

Quote:

3.) There's no quick shift away from one or the other. If anything, there's a quick adoption of Android, and that's it. Besides that, HTC isn't the only manufacturer who continues to make WM phones. Why would companies invest so much if it was such a sinking ship?

because obviously there is still a market for it. But when you go from being 100% WinMo to 50% or more other, then yeah, that is a shift. Adoption of alternatives is by definition a shift away from the status quo.

Quote:

4.) k

5.) What do you mean usable? The stock rom on my TP2 was EXTREMELY usable and when custom roms came out for it, there really was no need whatsoever to rush into a custom rom, unless you wanted to do it for eye candy.

The fact that I can go find a community that regularly posts updated roms containing the latest and greatest is a definite PLUS not any kind of negative. See, in your mind, you think as soon as someone has a WM phone, they just HAVE TO flash a custom rom. I ran the stock rom on my Touch Pro 1 for almost an entire year before trying a custom rom. The custom rom was a bit snapper, and had facebook and youtube integration in the album, but wasn't leaps and bounds away from the stock rom.

Similarly, after over a year I haven't had to JB. But to go beyond the stock abilities, I would have to....just as you would have to flash. having that community can be a plus, as having the JB community is also a plus.

Quote:

I always find it funny the guys who know nothing of the things they talk about dismiss anyone else who's been through it and can give an honest opinion.

I wouldn't steer you wrong on this. I'm not gonna lie and say WM is as smooth as the iphone OS, but it DEFINITELY isn't as bad as you iphone guys believe.

I am an iPhone guy, but that isn't why I am down on WinMo. I am not saying it is complete shit, but it is the bottom of the bunch and has a shrinking market share as a consequence.
  • Reply 84 of 99
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Subjective at best. Anecdotally, I'm a developer in a software house that does some (little) WinCE/WinMo work. Not one of the WinMo devs where uses a WinMo phone. BB, Pre and iPhone, but no WinMo. But then, they have to work with the shit everyday, so I guess they know better.

Just because someone writes software for WM doesn't mean they need to own a WM phone, or the lack of owning one points at them "knowing better." If I worked on WM all day, I probably would want a different phone as well, why not? If I could play with two different kinds of phones, that would be awesome. If Sprint let me, I would bind a hero, a tp2, and maybe even an Instinct HD all to one number. I want to try it all, but that's impossible. You get what I'm saying? I wouldn't be surprised if someone who developed for iphone owned a pre, just as people who develop games for WM might go home and watch movies on their MBP.

Quote:

because obviously there is still a market for it. But when you go from being 100% WinMo to 50% or more other, then yeah, that is a shift. Adoption of alternatives is by definition a shift away from the status quo.

There's a shift, or distribution rather of HTC's focus, but that doesn't mean less for WM, it just means more from HTC (in fact, more WM phones are being made today more than ever.) It's an expansion, and obviously when that happens, the percentage of focus on WM goes down (that's a basic concept of fractions.) And actually it's more like 30% but I agree that until MS steps things up, you won't be seeing much with HTC advertising WM phones.

Quote:

Similarly, after over a year I haven't had to JB. But to go beyond the stock abilities, I would have to....just as you would have to flash. having that community can be a plus, as having the JB community is also a plus.

I am an iPhone guy, but that isn't why I am down on WinMo. I am not saying it is complete shit, but it is the bottom of the bunch and has a shrinking market share as a consequence.

I think I'd be one of those people who tried jailbreaking, simply because the idea that I owned a device capable of SO much handheld computing power, but was limited "for my protection" would irritate the ever-loving crap out of me.
  • Reply 85 of 99
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Samsung is dumping WinMo and Symbian in favour of Android and a new OS developed inhouse called Bada.

Garmin is going to Android.

Palm went to WebOS

Motorola went Android

HTC is about the only one left and they are shifting more to Android.

WinMo is a dead man walking the writing is on the wall.
  • Reply 86 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Jailbroken refers to the iPhone OS working in a way other than intended by Apple. As a result, Mac OS X cannot be considered Jailbroken as it functions as Apple intended.

Jail-broken !== open

Jail-broken === broken

What you wrote is just a game with words and there is no "official" definition of what "jail-broken" means, so it is pretty meaningless one. But the truth is that iPhone OS X is pretty much (functionality-wise) equal Mac OS X that is "jail-broken". But on the Mac OS X nobody thinks that it constitutes any security risk.
  • Reply 87 of 99
    One of the first things you do when you get a new Mac and set up OSX is define a user account and password, this does not happen with iPhone OS.

It's a pretty big difference and one which the people responsible for Jailbreaking should have taken into account when releasing the software, but they are answerable to no-one because it's their device and they can do whatever they want with it, right?

The jailbreakers are a pack of bozo's who should have known better when they started messing with other people's things.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

What you wrote is just a game with words and there is no "official" definition of what "jail-broken" means, so it is pretty meaningless one. But the truth is that iPhone OS X is pretty much (functionality-wise) equal Mac OS X that is "jail-broken". But on the Mac OS X nobody thinks that it constitutes any security risk.

• Reply 88 of 99
    Quote:

The jailbreakers are a pack of bozo's who should have known better when they started messing with other people's things.

Wow. I guess you guys just think differently.

See, if I buy a device, I figure it's mine, not something that belongs to someone else that I only get to use on their terms.
  • Reply 89 of 99
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntm856 View Post

Wow. I guess you guys just think differently.

See, if I buy a device, I figure it's mine, not something that belongs to someone else that I only get to use on their terms.

The problem has always been that --- like airplane accidents --- most are self-inflicted human errors.

You should download the source code directly from George Hotz, inspect every single line of the source code (and Hotz is not God so you may have to fix a few thing in the source code), compile the source code yourself and then apply the jailbreak to your own phone.
  • Reply 90 of 99
    Don't forget you should also ensure that adequate security polices are in place as you are taking that responsibility away from Apple.

Unlike the bozo's who are so clever with what they do with jailbreaking they forget to include the most basic things, or maybe they thought it was just too hard for the idiots who they target with their jailbreaking software to comprehend why changing the user name and password during the jailbreaking process is necessary.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

The problem has always been that --- like airplane accidents --- most are self-inflicted human errors.

You should download the source code directly from George Hotz, inspect every single line of the source code (and Hotz is not God so you may have to fix a few thing in the source code), compile the source code yourself and then apply the jailbreak to your own phone.

• Reply 91 of 99
    Quote:

One of the first things you do when you get a new Mac and set up OSX is define a user account and password, this does not happen with iPhone OS.

If the iPhone OS X is same as Mac OS X, i.e. non-jail-broken, I'd assume it will also ask for the user account and password. How long it might take Apple to implement such feature into iPhone OS X, what you reckon ?

To sum it up : there is no "security" reason for locking iPhone, it is just powered by handsome 30% they get from every AppStore purchase. It is OK for them to have it, both iPhone and AppStore is great concept, but they should be man enough to admit this, and stop bitching that it is for the security of the end user. This is just heap of bul..hit.
  • Reply 92 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

If the iPhone OS X is same as Mac OS X,

No, no it?s not.
  • Reply 93 of 99
    Quote:

Don't forget you should also ensure that adequate security polices are in place as you are taking that responsibility away from Apple.

Unlike the bozo's who are so clever with what they do with jailbreaking they forget to include the most basic things, or maybe they thought it was just too hard for the idiots who they target with their jailbreaking software to comprehend why changing the user name and password during the jailbreaking process is necessary.

There is no username or password given during the jailbreak process...... bozo....

Also the Cydia Store has instructions on how to change your SSH password, and the instructions and "How to" SSH are on the main screen, soon as you load that app up, which is the first app any jailbreak will use. There's never been a need to change your password before this, as there was never a reason to. I still haven't changed mine, I just disable SSH when I'm not using it.

You really need to read up on what exactly this is all about, your just posting ignorantly and clearly have no clue on how any of this works.
  • Reply 94 of 99
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntm856 View Post

wrong. it belongs to you for use on their terms.
  • Reply 95 of 99
    It's a bit of a bitch having to turn it off everytime you reboot your phone.

Now I was replying to someone who claimed that Mac OS and iPhone OS were the same obviously they aren't as Mac OS requires a unique user name and password combination thus having a higher level of security making it less vulnerable to attacks like these.

Now if you want to wander around with port 9 open then that's your choice, the bozo's I was referring to are the one's who advertise sites where anyone can pay $29.99 th 'let it ra1n', the ones who were obviously victims of this prank.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

There is no username or password given during the jailbreak process...... bozo....

Also the Cydia Store has instructions on how to change your SSH password, and the instructions and "How to" SSH are on the main screen, soon as you load that app up, which is the first app any jailbreak will use. There's never been a need to change your password before this, as there was never a reason to. I still haven't changed mine, I just disable SSH when I'm not using it.

You really need to read up on what exactly this is all about, your just posting ignorantly and clearly have no clue on how any of this works.

• Reply 96 of 99
    This is really a testament to how well the jailbreaking community have done to make the process simple for the average user to jailbreak, unlock and install packages. What would be an obvious requirement to now being overlooked simply because they don?t know better. Installing media and apps on Android is more involved than unlocking your iPhone.

I am surprised Cydia hasn?t changed their OpenSSH page to put the default password change info as the first step in the process instead of making it the last step.

Quote:

I?m not following this. SSH turns back on when you reboot your iPhone?
  • Reply 97 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

There's never been a need to change your password before this, as there was never a reason to

There was reason to change your password from day one when you were able to remotely access the iPhone?s root. It?s a difference between reactive and proactive security.
  • Reply 98 of 99
    Yes if you install it it runs at start up, there is another tool which toggles SSH on and off to make it easier to switch it off.

There are new players in the jailbreaking field one's who think the Dev Team are to slow and careful.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I’m not following this. SSH turns back on when you reboot your iPhone?

• Reply 99 of 99
    Quote:

Now I was replying to someone who claimed that Mac OS and iPhone OS were the same obviously they aren't as Mac OS requires a unique user name and password combination thus having a higher level of security making it less vulnerable to attacks like these.

Of course the gigantic hole in this claim you keep making is that the MacOS allows you to create users, even admin level, that do not have a password. Does that make Apple a bunch of bozo for allowing users without passwords?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60

or maybe they thought they would leave it up to the user...just as the bozos, to use your term, at Apple allow user accts without passwords. It is up to the user to ensure security policies, like passwords, are in place. 'Adequate' security policies are not Apple's responsibility. They are the users responsibility. Apple is responsible for putting in securing the OS. Policies on the computer are up to the user. Users know this. Apple knows this. You seem confused on this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60

It's a pretty big difference and one which the people responsible for Jailbreaking should have taken into account when releasing the software, but they are answerable to no-one because it's their device and they can do whatever they want with it, right?

Who are the 'other' people whose things they were messing with? You keep calling them bozo's but then arguments you use to demonstrate this only show one bozo....one with a deep and utter lack of understanding what is being discussed. Your similarly whacky logic was earlier used to try to pin blame for innaccurate, sensationalist headlines on the jailbreakers...just as weak.

You are so desperate to rail against anything you see as anti-Apple, but your arguments rarely stand up. But please continue. Your righteous, if confused, anger is always entertaining.

Expecting Apple to decide what security policies you will need, use or have is sort of like expecting your mother decide what you will wear and whom you will date. Some people like and expect that sort of coddling, I guess. Other prefer to think for themselves.