Verizon's advertising propels brand perception while AT&T sinks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well I had a Verizon phone and a Touch for one year and can vouch that having the iPhone alone is much better. Looking for hot spots was maddening not to mention carrying 2 devices. Think about it. AT&T has made some gains in their coverage after all.

I just haven't seen a significant lack of network like I keep hearing about. However, when I had Verizon I never got any calls when in my office building & service inside my house was terrible. That all changed when I switched.

EDGE works just fine most of the time for me, & since I get AT&T's wifi free everywhere I go I am never far from a hotspot.

By the way, got hands on with a Droid phone today, wow is Google's touch interface ever crappy! It is about as responsive as dirt, have to multi tap everything for anything to come up. Sorry, but for me the hardware & available software has made the iPhone a killer deal for me, I have never come up short on network yet & enduring a little EDGE here & there has not been a deal breaker at all.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Awesome.

Too bad consumers just shrugged at the Droid.

Most don't know what it is and I doubt many are that interested in it. It's no iPhone, that's for sure.

You can piss on AT&T all you like, but as long as they've got the iPhone, that's where people are headed. AT&T's brand perception has been in the basement for a while now, yet despite that, it's been iPhone iPhone iPhone! One big party over at AT&T. And unless Verizon gets the iPhone or has a REAL competitor to it, things won't really change. Consumers have been more than willing to make a deal with the AT&T devil to get the iPhone. That won't change because some carrier tells them they shouldn't.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    Well Verizon just tells it like it is -- AT&T is a dinosaur...

I mean AT&T's map could show their Telegraph coverage... ;-)
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Maybe?! Either it can or cannot, there is no "maybe" geez.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Maybe Field Test Mode can tell you.

• Reply 25 of 55
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    AT&T is the Chrysler of phone companies.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:

Does AT&T have a list of rollouts for 7.2Mbps and for 850Mhz spectrum upgrades?

For 7.2 Mbps rollout, here is a link from their press room:

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rticleid=27068

I didn't see anything official from AT&T's website, but I did receive an e-mail from them recently stating that Houston's 850 MHz rollout was complete.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Awesome.

Most don't know what it is and I doubt many are that interested in it. It's no iPhone, that's for sure.

You can piss on AT&T all you like, but as long as they've got the iPhone, that's where people are headed. AT&T's brand perception has been in the basement for a while now, yet despite that, it's been iPhone iPhone iPhone! One big party over at AT&T. And unless Verizon gets the iPhone or has a REAL competitor to it, things won't really change. Consumers have been more than willing to make a deal with the AT&T devil to get the iPhone. That won't change because some carrier tells them they shouldn't.

Agree.

It is also interesting that AT&T has such 'low' perceptions while the iPhone satisfaction surveys are at the extreme 'highly' satisfied end and the Droid is receiving virtually little interest.

It would seem to indicate that the majority of iPhone users are more than satisfied with AT&T and those that don't have an iPhone are not. Just like most of the trolls here.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

For 7.2 Mbps rollout, here is a link from their press room:

I didn't see anything official from AT&T's website, but I did receive an e-mail from them recently stating that Houston's 850 MHz rollout was complete.

Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:

Does AT&T have a list of rollouts for 7.2Mbps and for 850Mhz spectrum upgrades?

Perhaps this will help.

Quote:

AT&T* today announced details of its rollout plans for High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) 7.2 technology, which will provide a considerable speed boost to what is already the nation’s fastest 3G mobile broadband network.

Supporting this HSPA 7.2 initiative is AT&T’s ongoing deployment of additional backhaul capacity to cell sites. These backhaul connections add critical capacity to the network to support today’s unprecedented growth in mobile data traffic as well as the future demands of next-generation 4G networks.

AT&T plans to begin deployment of HSPA 7.2 in six major U.S. cities, including Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles and Miami, with initial service availability expected in these markets by the end of the year. All told, the company plans to deploy HSPA 7.2 in 25 of the nation’s 30 largest markets by the end of 2010, and to reach about 90 percent of its existing 3G network footprint with HSPA 7.2 by the end of 2011.

In addition, AT&T lists recent rollouts in their Recent News column at http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=2943

What a lot of people have forgotten is that one of the conditions that AT&T got exclusivity was their commitment to expanding and improving their 3G network and at the same time reducing their data charges. Seems that they are keeping up side. Just takes time and a lot of cash.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    The title SHOULD be "Verizon's advertising propels brand perception while AT&T stinks"

Seriously, where is iPhone tethering AT&T dinosaur?! No I don't mean Telegraph tethering either... ;-)
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Is there a SEPARATE coverage map for the faster speed HSPA so we can see visually?!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Perhaps this will help.

• Reply 32 of 55
    While I am extremely happy with AT&T's service and have been for several years, and I travel very regularly with my iPhone 3G between Seattle, Spokane, San Francisco, Las Vegas and Phoenix, it is AT&T's own fault for allowing themselves to be in this vulnerable situation of being attacked with an aggressive ad campaign. They knew that their "3G" coverage was not near as good as VZ's. They should have been on the attack with a campaign to offset their weaknesses. Their weakness was lack of coverage, not speed of the system. Their ad campaigns are about "The fastest 3G system in the land". Increasing speed is not going to offset the perception that you can't get coverage most of the US,
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

AT&T is the Chrysler of phone companies.

So does that make Verizon Ford or GM? Because if it's GM, I'm not sure I would want to go with them, either.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gigawire View Post

I don't think it's fickleness so much as it is people fed up with AT&T service and word is starting to get around. I know for myself if the iPhone was announced as being available on Verizon I would jump ship that day.

It's fickleness.

I wonder how many of those 18 - 34 year old demographics voted for Obama's slick marketing last year, and although he "holds" a 50+% likability rating, he was unable to save the Democratic bastion governorship of New Jersey from going over to the Republicans despite having visited the state like 5 times, two within two weeks of the election and recorded a robo-call message to the people of New Jersey. Obama supporters of last year didn't come out this year despite Obamas pleas to help keep Democrats in power to help with all that "Change"! It's just fickleness of the voter. Next election, they'll be PO'd at the Republican and vote a Democrat in. It's not necessarily the message than just no core values amongst the voters nowadays! It's what's in it for them. \
  • Reply 35 of 55
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Awesome.

You sure about that?! Verizon is creamin' in their jeans at the "Droid, Verizon's iPhone wishful thinking" phone!
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

So does that make Verizon Ford or GM? Because if it's GM, I'm not sure I would want to go with them, either.

Verizon's not much better, apparently. Seems most carriers in the US fail in one way or another.

I can't relate, though. I'm with Rogers up here in Canada and there's never a problem. And if I whine a bit now and then I get a reduction on my bill or a credit that moves certain charges into later months. Rogers isn't the cheapest, but the service has always been problem free - wireless, internet, you name it.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Awesome.

Agree.

Of course I have experienced dropped calls, yes, even more than I care for, but guess what, I just shrug my shoulders and try again. Certainly no reason to jump ship to join a company that has no proven record of being able to handle the data load of millions of data hungry smart phones. Oh, and I do want to be able to check a web site while talking on the phone!

AT&T is not perfect but likely good enough for 99% of its customers, even without the iPhone they are the second largest mobile phone company in the US.

I just hope that AT&T have learned from Apple during the few years that they have been partners. If so, they're certainly not going to go nuts over some perceived values.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Is there a SEPARATE coverage map for the faster speed HSPA so we can see visually?!

Since the faster speed SPA 7.2 in six major U.S. cities won't be up and running till the end of the year, I doubt there is a map out for it yet.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

I just hope that AT&T have learned from Apple during the few years that they have been partners.

Exactly. You nailed it.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:

Verizon's not much better, apparently. Seems most carriers in the US fail in one way or another.

I can't relate, though. I'm with Rogers up here in Canada and there's never a problem. And if I whine a bit now and then I get a reduction on my bill or a credit that moves certain charges into later months. Rogers isn't the cheapest, but the service has always been problem free - wireless, internet, you name it.

I have just always found it infuriating here in the States that our wireless industry is so backwater when compared to the rest of the world. I envy your situation. It's never been an issue of cost for me (within reason, of course), because Verizon and AT&T are priced just about even, but it's sad that Verizon has the best networks in arguable the most powerful country in the world, yet is still one of the worst networks when compared to the rest of the globe. Who knows, maybe I'll just move to Canada to get my perfect iPhone experience.