AT&T defends its data network from Verizon ad attacks

Comments

• Reply 141 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

I agree. EV-DO devices have been around for ages now --- and we haven't heard much real life complaining about this theoretical deficiency. In 3 months or 6 month's time, you are going to see a million Android phones on the Verizon network --- and you ain't going to see much real life complaining about this deficiency. All the talk had been, is and will be limited to fanbois talking in a theoretical setting.

Well, hello there, samab. Fancy meeting you here.
  • Reply 142 of 221
    Quote:

Again you are talking therotical speed claims that can NEVER be achieved in real life.

So what Filezilla was showing was theoretical? AFAIK if Filezilla shows 1.8-1.85 MB/s speeds it means that it's actually working at 14-15 Mbps. Online speed tests can be tricky, but downloading through Filezilla gives pretty precise numbers if the server is powerful enough. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: done with a Huawei K4505
  • Reply 143 of 221
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heffeque View Post

So what Filezilla was showing was theoretical? AFAIK if Filezilla shows 1.8-1.85 MB/s speeds it means that it's actually working at 14-15 Mbps. Online speed tests can be tricky, but downloading through Filezilla gives pretty precise numbers if the server is powerful enough. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: done with a Huawei K4505

There are things like compression that can affects the speed indicated.

If carriers can get 14-15 mbps download speed with 3G HSPA+, then why are they upgrading to 4G LTE which has 7-12 mbps.

You can google the entire internet and you won't find a single documentation that will say that a 21.6 mbps peak HSDPA download speed network has an average real life download speed of 14-15 mbps.

And every single documentation you can find for 14.4 mbps HSDPA will give you an average downlink speed of 2-3 mbps.

http://www.koreaittimes.com/story/27...-packet-access

http://www.umts-forum.org/content/view/1086/172/

http://jp.fujitsu.com/about/magazine.../vol58-2e.html

I find it laughable on how you supposedly can achieve 5.4 mbps on a 7.2 mbps HSDPA network when the manufactuer (like Alcatel) is saying that you can only get 2-3 mbps on a 14.4 mbps HSDPA network. You are probably getting 1.8 mbps average download speed, not 1.8 MB/s download speed.
  • Reply 144 of 221
    Quote:

There are things like compression that can affects the speed indicated.

If carriers can get 14-15 mbps download speed with 3G HSPA+, then why are they upgrading to 4G LTE which has 7-12 mbps.

You can google the entire internet and you won't find a single documentation that will say that a 21.6 mbps peak HSDPA download speed network has an average real life download speed of 14-15 mbps.

The Huawei K4505 doesn't support LTE.
  • Reply 145 of 221
    Quote:

The Huawei K4505 doesn't support LTE.

I never said that it supports LTE.

I am saying that you are reading 1.8 mbps as 1.8 MB/s.

You can search the entire internet and all the manufacturers will say the same thing --- a 14.4 mbps HSDPA network will give you an average 2-3 mbps download speed.
  • Reply 146 of 221
    Quote:

I never said that it supports LTE.

I am saying that you are reading 1.8 mbps as 1.8 MB/s.

You can search the entire internet and all the manufacturers will say the same thing --- a 14.4 mbps HSDPA network will give you an average 2-3 mbps download speed.

1.8 MB/s is 14.4 Mbps, not 1.8 Mbps.
  • Reply 147 of 221
    Quote:

1.8 MB/s is 14.4 Mbps, not 1.8 Mbps.

Hey, my laptop tells me that I connect to my 54G wireless router at 54 mbps --- it doesn't mean that I actually get 54 mbps average download speed.
  • Reply 148 of 221
    Quote:

Hey, my laptop tells me that I connect to my 54G wireless router at 54 mbps --- it doesn't mean that I actually get 54 mbps average download speed.

What does that have to do with Filezilla's speed readings? I'm confused. Do you know what Filezilla is?
  • Reply 149 of 221
    Quote:

What does that have to do with Filezilla's speed readings? I'm confused. Do you know what Filezilla is?

It's just an open source FTP client. It's a combination of compression and software bugs that will give you an incorrect speed rating that exceeds what the manufacturers' specifications. There is also the issue of how much 3G data users in Spain vs. a G7 industrial country.
  • Reply 150 of 221
    Quote:

It's just an open source FTP client. It's a combination of compression and software bugs that will give you an incorrect speed rating that exceeds what the manufacturers' specifications. There is also the issue of how much 3G data users in Spain vs. a G7 industrial country.

Filezilla has been out for some time (used 3.3.0) and it's never given me major speed reading errors (comparing Leopard's Activity Monitor readings and I doubt that they're also wrong and buggy).

As far as 3G data user usage... In Spain, since March 2006, there are officially more cellphone lines than inhabitants. In 2007 Spain had 109% while the US was "still" at 83%

In Spain there are less iPhones than in the US but there's a much higher percentage of smartphones in general than the US (Nokias leading the pack) and a much higher usage of external USB 3G modems.

So yes... I guess that's the main reason the cellphone network in Europe is more advanced than in the US.

I still remember several years ago people using walkie talkies in US malls. It seemed pretty bizarre when I went to Europe and saw NO walkies at all. It seemed like everyone had a cellphone and they gave a pretty intensive usage to the SMS system, something that in the US wasn't the normal thing to use unlike nowadays.
  • Reply 151 of 221
    Quote:

Filezilla has been out for some time (used 3.3.0) and it's never given me major speed reading errors (comparing Leopard's Activity Monitor readings and I doubt that they're also wrong and buggy).

As far as 3G data user usage... In Spain, since March 2006, there are officially more cellphone lines than inhabitants. In 2007 Spain had 109% while the US was "still" at 83%

In Spain there are less iPhones than in the US but there's a much higher percentage of smartphones in general than the US (Nokias leading the pack) and a much higher usage of external USB 3G modems.

So yes... I guess that's the main reason the cellphone network in Europe is more advanced than in the US.

I still remember several years ago people using walkie talkies in US malls. It seemed pretty bizarre when I went to Europe and saw NO walkies at all. It seemed like everyone had a cellphone and they gave a pretty intensive usage to the SMS system, something that in the US wasn't the normal thing to use unlike nowadays.

Having a high cell phone penetration number doesn't mean anything --- they are just counting SIM card numbers. Everybody in Europe has a few SIM cards in their drawers somewhere.
  • Reply 152 of 221
    Quote:

Having a high cell phone penetration number doesn't mean anything --- they are just counting SIM card numbers. Everybody in Europe has a few SIM cards in their drawers somewhere.

So basically your point is:

In the US it's more complicated to have a good cellphone coverage because of the extensive land to cover: true.

Europe uses 3G networks more than in the US but in the US the speeds are slower because there's a higher load on the cellphone towers because there are not as well dimensioned (I guess that's what you meant by the 3G user data usage compared to other countries): true, but also because in Europe they use newer standards than in the US.
  • Reply 153 of 221
    Quote:

So basically your point is:

In the US it's more complicated to have a good cellphone coverage because of the extensive land to cover: true.

Europe uses 3G networks more than in the US but in the US the speeds are slower because there's a higher load on the cellphone towers because there are not as well dimensioned (I guess that's what you meant by the 3G user data usage compared to other countries): true, but also because in Europe they use newer standards than in the US.

You HEAR more people complaining about AT&T's pathetic 3G iphone coverage --- because they are compared to Verizon's 3G coverage. Nothing to do with whether American 3G coverage is better or worst than European 3G coverage.

An average American uses more voice minutes (3x-4x) than Europeans, more SMS than Euroepans, more data than Europeans... And with AT&T being tied for third on 3G iphone speed in the whole world (Wired.com survey) --- there is really nothing to complain about with the American 3G network.

American carriers have deployed 3G on their 800 MHz spectrum --- which makes it a lot better than European's 2100 MHz spectrum. This is why with all the complaining about how much AT&T's 3G network suck --- they still tied for third place in the wired.com survey in the whole world.

And you are hopelessly sucked into the theoretical max speed hype that can never be able to achieve in real life. It doesn't make a lot of difference in real life speed.
  • Reply 154 of 221
    Quote:

You HEAR more people complaining about AT&T's pathetic 3G iphone coverage --- because they are compared to Verizon's 3G coverage. Nothing to do with whether American 3G coverage is better or worst than European 3G coverage.

An average American uses more voice minutes (3x-4x) than Europeans, more SMS than Euroepans, more data than Europeans... And with AT&T being tied for third on 3G iphone speed in the whole world (Wired.com survey) --- there is really nothing to complain about with the American 3G network.

American carriers have deployed 3G on their 800 MHz spectrum --- which makes it a lot better than European's 2100 MHz spectrum. This is why with all the complaining about how much AT&T's 3G network suck --- they still tied for third place in the wired.com survey in the whole world.

And you are hopelessly sucked into the theoretical max speed hype that can never be able to achieve in real life. It doesn't make a lot of difference in real life speed.

Well... I got 14-15 Mbps in real life. It must suck to get slower cellphone speeds over there :P

And no... Americans don't use more SMS and data than Europeans.
  • Reply 155 of 221
    Quote:

Well... I got 14-15 Mbps in real life. It must suck to get slower cellphone speeds over there :P

And no... Americans don't use more SMS and data than Europeans.

I can claim that I am the king of the world, who believe that?

Not a single manufacturer from Alcatel to Ericsson will say that you can get average download speed of 14-15 mbps with existing 3G network technology.

The OECD study (where the Europeans are) has "heavy" SMS usage as 660 SMS per year. Americans average 15 SMS a DAY (5500 SMS a year).

http://techcrunchies.com/how-many-sm...n-a-day-in-us/
  • Reply 156 of 221
    Quote:

I can claim that I am the king of the world, who believe that?

Not a single manufacturer from Alcatel to Ericsson will say that you can get average download speed of 14-15 mbps with existing 3G network technology.

The OECD study (where the Europeans are) has "heavy" SMS usage as 660 SMS per year. Americans average 15 SMS a DAY (5500 SMS a year).

http://techcrunchies.com/how-many-sm...n-a-day-in-us/

A friend of mine just did an online test for me (I'm currently in Salamanca and they haven't deployed the 21.6 Mbps theoretical speeds here yet):

http://img12.imageshack.us/i/1235641120.jpg/
  • Reply 157 of 221
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

A friend of mine just did an online test for me (I'm currently in Salamanca and they haven't deployed the 21.6 Mbps theoretical speeds here yet):

I am under the impression that current phone HW can?t process that kind of throughput. Is this a mobile network USB card or ?modem? for home networks?
  • Reply 158 of 221
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Most people don't use speakerphone for hands free phone use, most people use a headset.

In a car sure, but obviously the feature is included for a reason. When I attempt to use it, I find it subpar.

Quote:

The problem is that you are making authoritative statement. You are saying the speakerphone is useless. This is not true. You can argue that you've found another phone to have a more useful speakerphone system, but its untrue that the iPhone's is useless.

I'll be happy to read the review where the iPhone speakerphone is praised. Everyone I have read notes it is subpar or politely says it is "too soft." If I'm being authoritative, it is because I haven't read a source contrary to the contention. Feel free to produce it.

Quote:

Yes those 50+ million people who have bought iPhone's feel so deprived.

I know I do as one of those 50+ million. There are only so many things you can fix with software hacks and jailbreaking.

Quote:

What applications do you use for notifications that doesn't work right?

All of them because the notification system is all wrong. I don't want little read numbers spread across nine screens or something popping up to be dismissed without the ability to address it unless I close what I am presently doing and go to the app that handles it.

Quote:

Maybe its just that you use some really strange off the cuff examples to make your point. But most people are not particularly concerned about cancer before they would ever be diagnosed with it.

I guess I just imagine all those awareness campaigns.

Quote:

Its the perception of AT&T's network quality that is in the crapper. In reality AT&T is adding 2 million new subscribers per quarter.

Actually surveys and studies have put it in the crapper as well.

Quote:

You seem to be ignoring the fact that Apple has been upgrading the OS and adding new features to the iPhone every year. What makes you think that will suddenly stop?

I'm not saying they will stop dead in their tracks, but Apple appears to be letting certain items wilt on the vine so to speak. They've done it on the Mac so it becomes worrisome and easy to spot. Go open iSync and notice that the copyright on it hasn't even been updated since 2007 as an example. Also what you call new features, others call plugging the holes. Copy/Paste, MMS, and tethering aren't exactly "new."
  • Reply 159 of 221
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I am under the impression that current phone HW can’t process that kind of throughput. Is this a mobile network USB card or “modem” for home networks?

It's a datacard --- and it's "do-able" if you live in the middle of nowhere and there is nobody else using the whole cell tower (and if you are standing right beside the cell tower).

http://www.techshout.com/telecom/200...up-to-16-mbps/

But even Vodafone Spain is saying that in an urban area, it drops down to 4 mbps.

My country (Canada) also has a couple of HSPA 21.6 mbps networks --- and with more people using 3G phones and laptops --- the average tested speed goes down to around 7 mbps. And it's a brand new network without too many people using the brand new HSPA datacards --- as more and more people use the new datacards, it will go down in speed to 4 mbps.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...a.plus.tested/

He thinks that Spain is so advanced with their wireless networks --- but it is basically the exact opposite. It's a bridge to nowhere that nobody uses. What's the point in that?
  • Reply 160 of 221
    Quote:

He thinks that Spain is so advanced with their wireless networks --- but it is basically the exact opposite. It's a bridge to nowhere that nobody uses. What's the point in that?

FYI... Spain's cable companies don't have data caps (unlike Canada's) and sharing copyrighted material through P2P is legal so people do give internet lines a good deal of data use.

Also... 5 GB at 3.6 Mbps speeds costs 25 euros a month here and Vodafone (one of the big companies) has a pretty intensive 7.2 Mbps coverage (in towns as small as 15.000 inhabitants, smaller towns usually are at 3.6 Mbps) and offers 4 GB for 45 euros a month. Here's an online test of the speed of the 7.2down/2up Mbps connection. That's a sustained 5.4 Mbps speed, not the 2-3 Mbps speeds you claim 7.2 Mbps connections can handle.

I was born and raised in Pennsylvania and trust me, when I went to Europe (7 years ago), the first thing that I noticed was that the cellphone industry was a lot more advanced in Europe than in the US (and I guess than Canada too). I gave you examples of Spain because that's where I'm living now, but I could well give you examples of Germany or France and you'd have more or less the same coverage and the same speeds and prices if you'd like me to check them out for you.

It's a shame that you bash European networks for some personal grudge or whatever reason you seem to have against them.