Google to have larger iPhone ad presence with AdMob acquisition

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Those who underestimate Apple, do so at their peril.

As do those who underestimate Google who could, at any time, pull the rug from under Apple's feet. Of course they have no reason to do so now, but Apple didn't acquire the map company and start building their massive server station for nothing. The next war will be on the cloud, everyone knows it.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

$750M is hardly freeloading.

Regarding your footer ... why not get an OEM version of 7? $139 for the Business Pro 64 bit. Newegg are a good source.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You should always expect either an ad or being tracked. Nothing is free.

It is truly astonishing the level of complacency that exists in the mobile user community towards the presence of ad-ware and spy-ware in our applications, when many of us would never allow such thing to happen in our desktops and laptops.

One thing is to have ads on web pages where the browser acts as a sandbox, and another entirely when an application with full access of your device's internals harbors a third party module tracking your actions and communicating with an unknown server over your phones internet connection, wasting cycles, power and even money for those in countries where they don't have unlimited data plans.

If someone at Apple is reading: Please, we need full disclosure in plain sight on each app's page in iTunes detailing the app's included ad/spy-ware before we buy. Also, we should be able to individually allow or block each app's access to the internet, and if possible to our internal databases. Make them ask for permission.

If you agree, reply Yes.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jz1492 View Post

It is truly astonishing the level of complacency that exists in the mobile user community towards the presence of ad-ware and spy-ware in our applications, when many of us would never allow such thing to happen in our desktops and laptops.

One thing is to have ads on web pages where the browser acts as a sandbox, and another entirely when an application with full access of your device's internals harbors a third party module tracking your actions and communicating with an unknown server over your phones internet connection, wasting cycles, power and even money for those in countries where they don't have unlimited data plans.

If someone at Apple is reading: Please, we need full disclosure in plain sight on each app's page in iTunes detailing the app's included ad/spy-ware before we buy. Also, we should be able to individually allow or block each app's access to the internet, and if possible to our internal databases. Make them ask for permission.

If you agree, reply Yes.

yes
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Whoever releases an app that blocks all advertising is going to become very wealthy.

If I wanted adverting I'd have a TV, not an iPhone. Please keep that ad crap away from us.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Free applications from the Android Market already had AdMob advertising.

I wonder if Android is "open" enough so that you could take free applications from the marketplace, remove the Ads and offer them somewhere else?

You could even advertise your alternative site on AdMob
  • Reply 27 of 31
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I wonder if Android is "open" enough so that you could take free applications from the marketplace, remove the Ads and offer them somewhere else?

Android open enough to break copyright of applications?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Regarding your footer ... why not get an OEM version of 7? $139 for the Business Pro 64 bit. Newegg are a good source.

I'm not buying it, I was just shocked by the price. Anyway, NewEgg do not deliver to my country.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jz1492 View Post

If you agree, reply Yes.

Check the oven, I think your tinfoil hat is done!

And yes, it's called sarcasm.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It doesn't matter how free the OS is, the apps are still closed source. You can't just take ads out of them.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    GOOG beats AAPL this time.