Mac marketshare grows in Europe as Apple's competitors struggle

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    I really don't understand the above chart. Who the Hell is "Apple Computer"? There's currently no tech company in the world with that name, is there?
  • Reply 22 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I believe you mean from the days of Vista.

Precisely. Which is why I said from the days of Tiger.

Vista had an effect, but it's not as if the Mac wasn't successful on it's own merits. I started with Tiger and can't imagine using OS X before that came out. I'd be quite happy using either Snow Leopard or Windows 7, they are both very good. Whether other consumers think so remains to be seen.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The one where Windows promises the fix the problems of the previous Windows going to back to Windows 3 was quite funny. I have some PC friends who were especially angered by that one.

I guess, but we used different actors (not that US ads are that much better). Mac/PC ads don't really work when the Mac guy is more unlikeable than the PC guy though!
  • Reply 24 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Why does anyone not have him on their ignore list? If there was such a thing as a waste of cyberspace, he'd be the definition.

Because, that way, he does not get called to the carpet for his idiocy. I think that some people hold out the hope that decency and self-esteem will finally trump his ignorance. (As William Osler said, "the greater the ignorance, the greater the dogmatism".) \
  • Reply 25 of 69
    Quote:

Wouldn't you want to know what part of the "premium" market Rolex has as opposed the the total wristwatch market?

I would like to know too, but I assume that Rolex and other premium luxury watch makers make a ton of money compared to makers of cheaper watches.

It's not all about market share in the overall market, it's about making money. Our society is build upon that, and Apple, like many other companies, are there to make money.

Apple made 8.34 billion USD in revenue in the 3rd quarter of 2009, with a profit of 1.23 billion USD. http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/07/21results.html

Microsoft made 13.099 billion USD of revenue in the same quarter of 2009 and had a profit of 3.045 billion USD. http://www.microsoft.com/msft/earnin...rel_q4_09.mspx

Microsoft had a margin of 23%, Apple had 14%.

If we assume Apple has 9% market share, that would mean it made 136 million USD in profit per one of its market share points, and Microsoft (89%) made 34 million USD per one of its market share points.

So while Apple might not have as much market share as Microsoft has, it made 4 times more profits with its "small" market compared to the "big" market of Microsoft (per 1%).

If roles were reversed and Apple had a market share of 89% it would have made 12.1 billion USD in profits alone (86 billion USD in revenue), and Microsoft with its meager 9% would have made 306 million USD in profits (1.3 billion USD in revenue).

I hope my math is right, even if it's just simple division and multiplication without any economical formulas involved.

Apple might be small, but they make a lot of money despite being so small.

See you in 800 of your posts or so.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Because, that way, he does not get called to the carpet for his idiocy. I think that some people hold out the hope that decency and self-esteem will finally trump his ignorance. (As William Osler said, "the greater the ignorance, the greater the dogmatism".) \

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I came across this gem of a quote from Goethe: "There is nothing worse than active ignorance."
  • Reply 27 of 69
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I came across this gem of a quote from Goethe: "There is nothing worse than active ignorance."

Too bad you can't put yourself on your ignore list.

(OMG- he's talking to himself now.)
  • Reply 28 of 69
    Nice attention to detail in your research Gartner! Apple Computer changed their name to Apple years ago. I have a hard time trusting anything these "research analysts" say. Maybe next time you should research the company name first.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    Quote:

Wow-3.5% to 5% in UK.

Be afraid Microsoft, be very afraid.

You're going to have to explain to me why you think this is relevant?

In the US for example, Apple "only" has 9.5% market share, but that has little, if anything, to do with Microsoft. Why?

Well Apple gets 33 cents in every dollar spent on computers in the US, despite having less than 10% of the market. How many cents does MS get for every dollar spent on a computer in the US? It's probably barely 10%.

Apple is competing against HP, Dell, Acer etc in hardware, and in terms of profits on computer sales, is the leader, by far.

If we're just interested in the kind of argument a pair of 12 year olds might havem then fair enough... let's all "LOL" @ Microsoft's 1% Zune market share... or their rapidly declining share in SmartPhones... how many albums did they sell last year?

• Reply 30 of 69
    Quote:

Basically you are full BS, lets get down to the basics here and not waste time with colorful quotes
  • Reply 31 of 69
    Quote:

sorry to reply to my own post, but i came across this gem of a quote from goethe: "there is nothing worse than active ignorance."

Quote:

too bad you can't put yourself on your ignore list.

(omg- he's talking to himself now.)

.. Q. E. D.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Unit share.

Who made big gains? Acer and Samsung. Why did they make gains? Netbooks. Cheap-ass laptops. Aspire Ones and NC10s.

I'd like to see the market share in terms of revenue.

Exactly!

In the mobile phone space. Apple has passed Nokia in terms of profitability.

I would like to know what Apple's position would be if this league-table was based on profit.

C.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    Quote:

I guess you missed this in the midst of your previous verbal fusillade*: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...28#post1518628

* That is not a bad word, btw.
  • Reply 34 of 69
    Quote:

I don't see where that concept applies to entertaining the ignorant. Trolls deserve to be ignored because they thrive on producing distraction. But that's the last I'm going to say about it, since I'm actually interested in the thread topic.
  • Reply 35 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The Premium end, teck. THAT'S the end everyone wants.

From a producer point of view, sure. But I'd like to reiterate an important argument made by someone else here: 95 percent of the computer market simply refuse Apple's offering. It's not important for the argument that Apple's market has an extremely high profitability as should hell freeze over and Microsoft collapse I'd say that a massively backed Linux distribution (e.g. Chrome OS) would have a far better chance to fill the void than Apple. People had the chance to buy Apple Redux computers for the past 10 years and Intel computers for the last 3 but something apparently was and is lacking in Apple's offering for the majority of consumers, be it a greater price differentiation or use cases which are not served by OS X as 92 percent market share vs. 5 can't really be interpreted as people moving to Apple in flocks. Apple gained less than 1 percent market share in the past 12 months, mostly at the expense of Microsoft. At this rate they'll take decades to overtake Redmond.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    Quote:

I guess you missed this in the midst of your previous verbal fusillade*: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...28#post1518628

* That is not a bad word, btw.

What? You send me a link to a link? Dude you're loosin' it!
  • Reply 37 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

From a producer point of view, sure. But I'd like to reiterate an important argument made by someone else here: 95 percent of the computer market simply refuse Apple's offering. It's not important for the argument that Apple's market has an extremely high profitability as should hell freeze over and Microsoft collapse I'd say that a massively backed Linux distribution (e.g. Chrome OS) would have a far better chance to fill the void than Apple. People had the chance to buy Apple Redux computers for the past 10 years and Intel computers for the last 3 but something apparently was and is lacking in Apple's offering for the majority of consumers, be it a greater price differentiation or use cases which are not served by OS X as 92 percent market share vs. 5 can't really be interpreted as people moving to Apple in flocks. Apple gained less than 1 percent market share in the past 12 months, mostly at the expense of Microsoft. At this rate they'll take decades to overtake Redmond.

I honestly don't think Apple is directly trying to gain as much market share as possible. I think they try to build the best product they can, and make the best possible profit off their premium products. They understand some people will pay the price for it, others won't. They don't want to make crappy (in their eyes), inexpensive products that would increase the share. In the end if they gain market share in the process, its an indirect result. At least this is my interpretation of the situation.
  • Reply 38 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

I honestly don't think Apple is directly trying to gain as much market share as possible. I think they try to build the best product they can, and make the best possible profit off their premium products. They understand some people will pay the price for it, others won't. They don't want to make crappy (in their eyes), inexpensive products that would increase the share. In the end if they gain market share in the process, its an indirect result. At least this is my interpretation of the situation.

Yet everytime there's a 0.75 gain in marketshare everyone gets bananas! new threads, heralded headlines
  • Reply 39 of 69
    Quote:

Yet everytime there's a 0.75 gain in marketshare everyone gets bananas! new threads, heralded headlines

And you posting how its still only 90/10
  • Reply 40 of 69
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Well, Apple does not only consist of Mac as they are monopolists in other markets but generally I do agree. They've positioned themselves in a highly profitable niche and are doing quite well obviously being a company with one of the highest profit margin and total profit. I sometimes get the impression tough that among some of the AI residents there seems to be some kind of internal conflict. On the one hand they do appreciate being elitists where being the minority is a prerequisite but on the other hand they seek affirmation in growing market share as this would ultimately prove that Apple was right and Microsoft (and everybody else) wrong if you want to think in this kind of categories.