Apple's iPhone captures 17% of worldwide smartphone market

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In less than two and a half years on the market, Apple's iPhone has managed nearly a fifth of the total global smartphone market, thanks to nearly 50 percent year-over-year growth in sales in the third quarter of 2009.

New data released by research firm Gartner Thursday showed that the iPhone has taken a 17.1 percent share of the worldwide smartphone market in the three-month period ending in September. The report said Apple's share is only expected to grow, with even stronger anticipated sales in the fourth quarter, thanks to expansion into China and the addition of new carriers in multiple countries.

The study found Apple to be the third-largest smartphone company, behind only Nokia and Research in Motion. Apple shipped an estimated 7.04 million iPhones in the September quarter, up from just 4.72 million phones and a 12.9 percent share in the same frame a year ago. That represented a 49.2 percent year-over-year increase in sales.

Market leader Nokia took a 39.3 percent slice of the market, shipping 16.16 million smartphones. That was up from 15.47 million in the third quarter of 2008, but represented a smaller percentage of the overall market. Last year, Nokia took 42.3 percent of sales. Gartner said the company's 2009 share represents its lowest ever.

RIM shipped an estimated 8.52 million handsets during the quarter, earning it 20.8 percent of sales. It, too, grew its share, up from 15.9 percent in the same period in 2008, when it shipped 5.8 million smartphones, an increase of 46.9 percent.

Worldwide Smartphone Sales to End Users in 3Q09 (Thousands of Units). Source: Gartner.

Coming in fourth with 6.5 percent of sales was HTC, which saw its year-over-year sales grow 60.6 percent. It was followed by Samsung with 3.2 percent. All other hardware makers accounted for the remaining 13.1 percent. In all, 41.06 million smartphones shipped in the third quarter of 2009.

Gartner also tracked the mobile operating system market, where Android reportedly picked up momentum. However, its total global share sits at 3.5 percent.

"The third quarter of 2009 saw the announcement of many new mobile devices, including several Android smartphones ready for the holiday season in the fourth quarter, but hardware commoditization and the growth in open platforms will make it harder for them to stand out," said Carolina Milanesi, research director at Gartner. "Meanwhile, the channel slowed its inventory-reduction efforts so while some sales volumes increased, average selling prices (ASPs) stagnated. We expect pressure on ASP to continue into 2010."

The report said that the average selling price of the iPhone, however, is expected to hold firm. Last quarter, Apple stated that the ASP of the iPhone was "just over $600," showing that sales tend to skew toward the higher-priced iPhone 3GS.

"Many devices will reach the market in time for Christmas, and mobile carriers will run incentives for consumers during the holidays," Milanesi said. "We expect sales of mobile devices in the fourth quarter of 2009 to show year-over-year growth. As many vendors and industry watchers call for a decrease in sales into the channel, our sell through data is showing that 2009 performance will be flat rather than down over 2008."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    Cool. Now if they could just open it up here in the US to all carriers, even if they have to make a CDMA phone, it would rise even higher.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Ok, I'll make this announcement here since this should get plenty of views:

PLEASE CHANGE THE ADS ON THE FRONT PAGE.

I'm pretty sure none of those dudes got ripped in 30 days, and I'm absolutely positive it makes the site look extremely GAY.

When I visit AI from my phone, and all those ads come up, it looks reeeaaallly bad.

Pertaining to the article: Who didn't see this coming? Time to expand to other carriers and double that percentage in a few months, amiright?
  • Reply 3 of 65
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Orange in the UK have reported shipping just over 30,000 iPhones in their first weekend stocking the handset, not bad considering O2 has sold so many iPhones here already, looks like Apple can only grow!
  • Reply 4 of 65
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Ok, I'll make this announcement here since this should get plenty of views:

PLEASE CHANGE THE ADS ON THE FRONT PAGE.

I'm pretty sure none of those dudes got ripped in 30 days, and I'm absolutely positive it makes the site look extremely GAY.

When I visit AI from my phone, and all those ads come up, it looks reeeaaallly bad.

1.) How did you get flash to run on your phone?

2.) It looks reeeeeeeeeeally bad because you think people are looking at your phone and think you gay?
  • Reply 5 of 65
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    China is not even worth mentioning, they have pretty much rejected the iphone (from carriers, not in general) due to its obscene price tag. Still im intrigued to see how they do this quarter.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

1.) How did you get flash to run on your iPhone?

2.) It looks reeeeeeeeeeally bad because you think people are looking at your iPhone and think you gay?

Where did he say he was visiting the site from his iPhone?
  • Reply 7 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Quote:

Unless he meant his Droid.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Unless he meant his Droid.

Apple in third place behind Nokia and RIM. No wonder Quadra hasn't responded.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

What phone runs flash ads?
  • Reply 10 of 65
    The ripped, gay guy on the home page is not flash. It's just a jpeg with a link.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    The very reason why NOKIA is so LIVID over Iphone...now you see where the hatred coming from, no wonder they slap multimillion dollar lawsuit on Iphone becaise they are so mad and livid on the success of Iphone, so if you cannot beat Iphone sue them and collect money at the expence of iphone...that seem to be what nokia wans, now that they are gradually labelled as has been and out of sync with the times...
  • Reply 12 of 65
    I want to know why their market cap hasn't reflected this growth -- they were at 190/share before the whole "Steve is gonna die" crisis hit, and now they're back there. Thing is, now they're a major player in a whole new market, have grown in just about all other areas of production, and are rumored to have a whole new product line about to ship...

why aren't they up to 250/share yet?

stupid market.

oh, and I'm pretty sick of staring at ripped dudes too -- maybe just a little sponser variety would be nice.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    RIM's about to get creamed.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Apple in third place behind Nokia and RIM. No wonder Quadra hasn't responded.

Sooooo, let's put this whole thing in perspective shall we? RIM started their entry into mobility devices in 1984, releasing the Blackberry/BES systems in 1999. That would be, generously, an 8-year lead on the introduction of the iPhone.

Nokia has been in the mobility industry even longer - starting back in 1979 with their first truly cellular telephony devices, developing the GSM standards (and patents) in 1987. So even if we look back ONLY to the advent of GSM - that's a 20 year lead on the iPhone. We could even spot Nokia a decade or two for the real development of their smartphones (9000 Communicator in 1996, E50 Enterprise mobile in 2006 or the N70 in 2005).

The iPhone has gone from zero to 17% of the GLOBAL smartphone market in 2.5 years. Or 30 months. Or 10,950 days.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    17% is "more than a sixth" but calling it "almost a fifth" is fudging a bit, dontcha think?

Admittedly, after this holiday season, they could very well be up to "almost a fourth" I suppose...
  • Reply 16 of 65
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

RIM's about to get creamed.

give me back the 3 seconds it took to read this garbage.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

give me back the 3 seconds it took to read this garbage.

It'll happen.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It'll happen.

Have you ever spoken to a blackberry user about their phone? There's no convincing them of anything better. That's not going away anytime soon.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Whatever comes along and "trumps" the iphone won't look anything like an iphone.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I wonder why Gartner and Canalys's numbers for Q3 are so far apart? I assume that they're both estimates but they must have pretty different guessing methods to differ so greatly.

EDIT: It's more bizarre than I first thought. Gartner has Apple selling 4.7 million iPhones in Q3 2008 whilst Canalys reckons that they sold 6.9 million in the same period. Which figure is correct?

It makes a huge difference to Apple's growth; 49.2% vs. 6.7%.

I assume one of the two has made the mistake of using Apple's Q3 accounting period rather than the Q3 calendar period.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Apple in third place behind Nokia and RIM.

Apple is DOOMED!