Apple's next-gen iPhone power amp; NASA chemical sensor app

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... a NASA scientist has used the iPhone to create a chemical sensor..... the device can detect chemicals such as ammonia, chlorine gas and methane. The accompanying application can automatically transfer data to other devices.

What a canary-in-the-coalmine app! (Pun intended. )
  • Reply 42 of 65
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Let's see if I can help....

Thanks, but not to belabour the point, as I said ... I know what an amplifier is, and I already looked it up in the context of the phone.

My point had nothing to do with amplifiers, and everything to do with clarity of language and general laziness in writing.

To someone initially unaware (like me) that phones had "power amplifiers" in them (and judging by the comments I'm far from alone in that regard), the article was confusingly worded and a bit thin. that was my only real point.

It talks about the iPhone in the specific context of "new hardware" and then implies that this new hardware will have a power amplifier in it. If you don't already know that phones have power amplifiers in them, you are left wondering what the heck they are putting one in for and what the implications of that might be.

The story is really just about Apple changing their supplier, but it isn't clear from the somewhat mangled wording that this is the case.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Cool looking UI for this app. Didn't know NASA had it in 'em. It's exciting to imagine what apps are just around the corner with the world's best platform for developers...

The app shown is iProRecorder form Bias. It is an audio recording app that can xfer recordings to your mac via a host Bias app on the Mac of a web interface. The app had nothing to do with the NASA sniffer chip... I guess it is hooked up to an amp.

E.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    How about a damn keyboard? The Stowaway keyboard I used to use on my Handspring Visor (with Visorphone!) was superb. I wish Apple would figure out that there are plenty of us who type blazingingly fast but who find the onscreen interface hopeless. Sorry, I can't touch-type onscreen with zero tactile feedback.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    Fantastic news for Engineering data acquisition options.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Is there anyone with even half a brain or a quarter of an education at AI? Repeat after me: plurals of nouns in the English language are not formed with an apostrophe and the letter S. Never. Not ever.

Singular: amplifier.

Plural: amplifiers.

Come on, we butcher the English language just so you will feel needed.
  • Reply 47 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Cool looking UI for this app. Didn't know NASA had it in 'em. It's exciting to imagine what apps are just around the corner with the world's best platform for developers...

Right, NASA is developing an attachment for the iPhone so ATT can zap Verizon.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    Quote:

Is there anyone with even half a brain or a quarter of an education at AI? Repeat after me: plurals of nouns in the English language are not formed with an apostrophe and the letter S. Never. Not ever.

I feel your pain. This nasty habit is common in the business sector.

Form's, memo's, etc.

Stupid merchant class . . .
  • Reply 49 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by James Beatty View Post

I think mbmcavoy has it right about the power amplifier. A good "amp" as they are called shorthand can make a world of difference in how good your music will sound; whether it's being listened too with headphones or a larger speaker system. Hopefully Apple has chosen another good one. Anyone familier with Skyworks, and whether they make good amps?

The amps in the iPods have gotten progressively better over the years. (they're pretty frkn awesome right now) I would hope this latest news would be another move "forward" in that end of the technology.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    Quote:

This may be hard for you to understand from what I read of your statement, but most people who have iPhones are anything BUT geeks.

No, I try to keep an open mind on such things, so it's not hard to understand. People, for whatever reason, in masses do dumb sh** all the time. Like waste money every month because it's cool, or a fad. So they happily sign themselves up for an iPhone plan, when they probably won't use half of the features it is capable of. My point was, if you're not a "geek" you probably don't need one. By need, I mean remain interested after two years of spending 90-120 a month on the bill.

For me, I suppose I am a "geek", love the tech, and the ability to do things with my phone like I'm sitting at my computer. Its's way more features than I was paying for my Treo on Verizon back in the day, that's for sure.
  • Reply 51 of 65
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:

See my posting above (#18)
  • Reply 52 of 65
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Meh, go read the WSJ and leave us to our comment'''''''''s would ya. It's not like the forum posts look like the ones on YouTube for crying out loud. They are still perfectly legible. Does it really matter if one writes its or it's or not? No. After all, it's how the English language has evolved over the centuries, by people changing the words and the way they are used.

If the only thing that an apostrophe is useful for is to warn us that the letter s is coming, then there's little point to using it at all, either it means something or it doesn't. Yes, it's still readable, but it's awkward. I also find that the people that actually try to use proper grammar are generally more likely to know what they're talking about too. For a site that seems to strive to be the top third party Apple source, I wish the upper management would require a little bit of copy editing of their articles, they don't seem to be hearing the pleas. I don't recall seeing the same level editing faux pas on prominent PC enthusiast sites that I've read.

Quote:

No, I try to keep an open mind on such things, so it's not hard to understand. People, for whatever reason, in masses do dumb sh** all the time. Like waste money every month because it's cool, or a fad. So they happily sign themselves up for an iPhone plan, when they probably won't use half of the features it is capable of. My point was, if you're not a "geek" you probably don't need one. By need, I mean remain interested after two years of spending 90-120 a month on the bill.

We'll see. I think the same thing could have been said of computers too.

The family plan isn't so bad, really. My parents are about as computer illiterate as they come, and they love their iPhones. They don't absolutely need it, but they really enjoy having them, and the money doesn't seem to bother them. I was pretty surprised by all this. My mom says it's the easiest to use cell phone she's ever used, she can keep track of the weather, her favorite stocks, play a few simple games with a relatively minimum amount of steps. My dad wanted to keep track of a certain web site, and that can't be done very well with a feature phone (even his BlackBerry balked at this site), and those too have a data plan.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:

For me, I suppose I am a "geek", love the tech, and the ability to do things with my phone like I'm sitting at my computer. Its's way more features than I was paying for my Treo on Verizon back in the day, that's for sure.

Then your definition of geek is "anyone who buys an iPhone".

I don't think that most people who have one would agree with that.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    Quote:

Then your definition of geek is "anyone who buys an iPhone".

I don't think that most people who have one would agree with that.

Well, he is a techno hermit, so, by definition, he doesn't get out much.
  • Reply 55 of 65
    I would suppose a phone contains not only an audio power amp., but also an RF power amp., to drive the antenna?
  • Reply 56 of 65
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    I think the big splash will be when at-home medical devices can be attached through the iPhone for interfacing with a server-monitor. Why have large dedicated machines to do something like this when you can use a small attachment that enables a device to perform multiple functions?
  • Reply 57 of 65
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

I think the big splash will be when at-home medical devices can be attached through the iPhone for interfacing with a server-monitor. Why have large dedicated machines to do something like this when you can use a small attachment that enables a device to perform multiple functions?

While I too would love to see this happen I'm wondering what if any hurdles the iPhone itself would have to overcome before it could be used as a medical monitoring device? An advanced prosthetic limb doesn't cost upwards of 20k or more due only to the cost of design materials and production but also because of the often costly, time consuming and red tape filled FDA approval process.

And before someone comes attacking me .... I'm not picking on the FDA or it's processes I for one like the idea that the government has an agency to protect it's citizens from from voodoo doctors, snake-oil salesmen and neer-do-wells. At the same time they aren't perfect and the processes they have are rife with red-tape and redundancy nearing the absurd (if every other government run agency is any indication).

I know the Palm Pilot in its day was used quite extensively in the medical circles... While I myself worked with crazy Ph.D's (in a previous life) the other side of the complex was a medical institute where I saw a many surgeon with a Palm Pilot in his breast pocket.

Does anyone know if medical instruments were ever built as add-ons to the device and if so did the Palm itself have to be submitted to the FDA for approval before any devices that only worked only when connected to the palm itself were able to get approved... (if that makes any sense)?

But could you imagine...

Heart Rate Monitor

Blood Glucose Monitor

Blood Pressure Recorder* (over BT I'd guess - not suggesting the iPhone actually power a BP cuff...)

Body Temperature Monitor

Body Weight

Speaking from someone with a unique perspective on all this imagine being able to record without error (or extra effort) all of your vitals on a daily / weekly / monthly (or as needed) basis and then it automatically gets sent to the file your primary care doctor has on you and then perhaps someday the physicians systems could be updated to the point where it would red flag potentially worrisome conditions so the doctor could review your file and perhaps call YOU to make an appointment.

I'm personally waiting for the day when I can do unassisted CBC blood tests at home... Odd how life's twits and turns make you hope and wish for the strangest of things...
  • Reply 58 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

While I too would love to see this happen I'm wondering what if any hurdles the iPhone itself would have to overcome before it could be used as a medical monitoring device? An advanced prosthetic limb doesn't cost upwards of 20k or more due only to the cost of design materials and production but also because of the often costly, time consuming and red tape filled FDA approval process.

And before someone comes attacking me .... I'm not picking on the FDA or it's processes I for one like the idea that the government has an agency to protect it's citizens from from voodoo doctors, snake-oil salesmen and neer-do-wells. At the same time they aren't perfect and the processes they have are rife with red-tape and redundancy nearing the absurd (if every other government run agency is any indication).

I know the Palm Pilot in its day was used quite extensively in the medical circles... While I myself worked with crazy Ph.D's (in a previous life) the other side of the complex was a medical institute where I saw a many surgeon with a Palm Pilot in his breast pocket.

Does anyone know if medical instruments were ever built as add-ons to the device and if so did the Palm itself have to be submitted to the FDA for approval before any devices that only worked only when connected to the palm itself were able to get approved... (if that makes any sense)?

But could you imagine...

Heart Rate Monitor

Blood Glucose Monitor

Blood Pressure Recorder* (over BT I'd guess - not suggesting the iPhone actually power a BP cuff...)

Body Temperature Monitor

Body Weight

Speaking from someone with a unique perspective on all this imagine being able to record without error all of your vitals on a daily / weekly / monthly (or as needed) basis and then it automatically gets sent to the file your primary care doctor has on you and then perhaps someday the physicians systems could be updated to the point where it would red flag potentially worrisome conditions so the doctor could review your file and perhaps call YOU to make an appointment.

We're beginning to see some serious medical devices built around the iPhone already.

Here's one from GE, not exactly a minor player in this field:

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-11...ireless-health

A quick cut from the article:

Quote:

An iPhone display, projected on the big screen behind him, showed the electronic signature of a heartbeat, blood pressure, temperature, and oximetry (oxygen saturation of the blood). ?What if on your phone you had every minute of your sleep recorded?? Topol asked. ?What about counting every calorie??

Read more: http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-11...#ixzz0WsGPbxRT

The iPhone is very popular in the medical community:

http://palmdoc.net/?p=2552

And some work and research being done:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/db/thesis...ls.php?ID=3040

This is going back to March. I haven't followed up on it:

http://mobihealthnews.com/973/interv...-on-iphone-30/

Apple isn't going for medical certification for their phone at this time though, so I don't know how this will affect future products..

But then, no other phone manufacturers is either, and they don't have the connector needed.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    self delete
  • Reply 60 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

What is going to do next? Light up a cigarette?

There's an app for that! Of course it's a bitch to carry around so just get a lighter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wqR7-tDRbk