Apple looks to hire AAA game developer for in-house iPhone team

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 84
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

NO I CAN NOT LIST ANY APPLE DEVELOPERS WHO HAVE WENT TO WINDOWS DUE TO CRAPPY TREATMENT THE GOT FROM THE APP STORE!

Oh the other hand I NEVER said there were any....

What I said was developers ARE DROPPING SUPPORT FOR THE IPHONE DUE TO CRAPPY TREATMENT!

The links you provided were fine. Windows in this context would be winmob. Or Andriod or PalmOS or whatever.

Quote:

Just read any non-biased computer news site you can find lots of them but the NEWEST is the developer from Rogue Amoeba (not respectable enough for ya??!?!) oh and 2 days before that the lead developer responsible for the iPhone Twitter App... Another crappy developer I guess?!?!

There are many iPhone twitter apps. Rogue Amoeba violated the SDK agreement and yes, it was inconsistent of Apple to permit 1.0 to go through but not 1.0.1. The iPhone SDK 2.6 references Apple's Trademark Guidelines for Third Parties. This states in section 2:

"2. Apple Logo and Apple-owned Graphic Symbols: You may not use the Apple Logo or any other Apple-owned graphic symbol, logo, or icon on or in connection with web sites, products, packaging, manuals, promotional/advertising materials, or for any other purpose except pursuant to an express written trademark license from Apple, such as a reseller agreement."

No express written trademark license from Apple? You can't use it in your app.

The Facebook dev is "philosophically opposed to the existence of their review process,".

Mkay, that's nice. There are folks that don't like proprietary software at all. It's nice that Facebook is letting him be a prima donna and giving the code to another dev to maintain and all but hardly relevant to many other devs.

Could the process be better? Sure. Can Apple improve it more? Yes. Will they? Most likely. They just did recently so there's no reason to expect them not to.

App store policies are not nearly as important to devs as app store pricing. It currently feels a bit too low and will have a bit of inertia to move upwards.
  • Reply 82 of 84
    [QUOTE=DaveGee;1520996]I for one can't WAIT for Apple to enter the Game Segment proper... And shortly after begins a nonstop bloodletting of ALL of the previously approved apps simply because Apple is developing or about to release a driving game or FPS and CLEARLY all of the others applications of this type would have the potential to .... what's Apple call it ... 'User Confusion'...

Oh and not that AI felt the need to report on it but Rogue Amoeba has just pulled the plug on all iPhone development it's quite odd since we all KNOW Apples is nothing but fair and above board when it comes to its App approval process.

Finally I really wanted to comment on this:

"passionate gamer with 3 to 4 years of video game development experience ... Only candidates who have shipped "at least one AAA title" are asked to apply"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Hmmm....

- "3 to 4 years experience"

Translation.. Don't come to us expecting an enormous pay check... Superstars need not apply...

- "Have personally been involved in _at least_ one AAA title"

Translation: hahahahahahaha

Yea sure, because the development teams responsible for rolling out AAA titles are usually FILLED with people who only have 2-3 years experience in the game market.

Somehow I think Apple needs to revisit the core job requirements....

Yep - this doesn't exactly show a huge commitment to gaming at Apple. the requirements 2-3 years experience and AAA titles don't belong in the same job req :-))
  • Reply 83 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypermark View Post

For the most part, I agree with you that the similarity is overplayed by the broader market in reading that this is going to play out just like the PC, but to call it a superficial similarity, is superficial.

What clever wording.

Quote:

Flash forward 18-36 months from today, and you could see a market where what a mobile device is amounts to is four 'legs' - phone, media, apps platform, carrier/service network, and Android OEMs are now on their 3rd/4th revs and so for all intents of purposes they have gotten the core functionality and the core user experience down to the point that it's iPhone enough-like (or more likely have carved out their own unique 'IT').

Which has what to do with your assertion that Apple's "iPhone play has ad such a Microsoft like platform-build feel about it."

Zero. Nothing in your post supports this assertion that I disagreed with. The iPhone ecosystem is not structured like Microsoft platforms with one exception that I mentioned.

Quote:

Now all of this assumes that the Android platform doesn't fragment across self-interested handset makers and carriers,

A huge assumption.

Quote:

but if it hasn't, you could readily see a case where third-party R&D shifts to the high volume, multi-handset play (and the legions of ODMs popping up around it), or at least spreads their loyalties.

In fact, one of the best sections of the book 'Apple' by Jim Carlton is when Dan Eilers is in Taiwan and sees accessory maker after accessory maker building third party subsystem add ons for the PC. It's at that moment that he realizes that there is no way that Apple can match the R&D spend of a broader, engaged third party R&D engine that extends way beyond Microsoft.

And yet Apple has been executing quite well despite the huge disparity in R&D funding since Jobs' return.

How odd that Apple maintains dictator control over the iPod/iPhone ecosystem and yet there are many third party accessory makers for that platform. Perhaps the driver isn't R&D spending or method of control but simply 3rd party makers cluster to the dominant platform.

Gee, that would be too easy wouldn't it?

And given that Carlton dismisses Apple's chances of survival and is heavily biased against Jobs the book has zero credibility. Frankly the majority of his opinions and assertions are even more laughable today than they were a decade ago.

Quote:

Today, the choice for developers is relatively clear, and the hardware play is largely limited to a few biggies. That could readily change, which would be PC-like. I think the difference though is that the performance expectations are higher with a mobile device, and closer to what one expects in embedded systems, which takes a deeper level of integration. Plus, if any one android form factor takes off, I expect developers to focus on that specific handset, which leads to fragmentation.

What an amusing assertion: If one android form factor takes off and devs focus on that ONE specific handset there will be fragmentation. WTF? If Android DOESN'T coalesce around a few popular handsets there will be fragmentation, not the other way around.

The Android market is already fragmenting with different capabilities on different manufacturer's phones. More importantly the PC market isn't fragmented at all since they all follow the same core standards. There are different manufacturers but they all build compatible hardware that run the SAME OS. This is different from the level of customization on Android based phones.

For example, you cannot depend on Blur services on any but Motorolla phones as a developer. Likewise you can't expect to use any of the UX features on any phone but Sony Ericsson phones.

Couple that to the different hardware configurations and you have a large potential for a balkanized market.

Quote:

As to the benevolent dictator, and not being able to have it both ways, I think that Apple needs developers engaged, and knows how quickly the tide can turn on that one. Consumers are happy to be bullied for a better end experience. Developers care about the platform working as promised and reach/dollars, not in that order.

Gosh golly gee batman, perhaps Apple has been having it both ways given they've been selling a ton of phones and getting a lot of developer traction.

Google should be more a dictator when it comes to Android IMO but they frankly don't care as long as they control the eyeball ecosystem. Balkanized app stores is just fine as long as they still get all the ad revenues.
  • Reply 84 of 84
    "Android phones vary significantly in the hardware, too ? phones with and without camera flash, some have physical keyboards, others don?t.

?You may build an app that works perfectly with all three firmwares, but then when you run it on carriers? ROMs it completely blows up,? says Fagan. ?So we find ourselves having to create apps that are compatible with multiple firmwares, multiple ROMs and multiple devices with different hardware.?

It?s in sharp contrast to the iPhone platform. Apple has tightly controlled the introduction of new iPhones and updates to its operating system. It has just three iPhone models available since it first introduced the phone in 2007. And all iPhone users are prompted to update their phones to be on the same version of the operating system."

?Apple maintains an iron grip on what they do and there?s an advantage to that,? says Kelly Schrock, owner of Fognl, which has three apps on the Android market. ?IPhone developers don?t have to worry about fragmentation and creating apps for the iPhone is much easier.?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...fragmentation/

Android is no Windows OS.