TomTom app updated to support iPod touch, first-gen iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gelong99 View Post

It's not working for me either. Not very happy after I spent an hour updating to version 1.2.

Not sure, but Route Demo is anything more than demoed here: http://www.routes.tomtom.com/t/#

Note: Click 'Demo' to see Flash video.

P.S., have bookmarked this beta site. Some great functionality. Already have made some routes up.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHay View Post

Just upgraded to 1.2 and Text to Speech seems not to work. Does it require the car kit or does it not work in "Route Demo" mode?

Anyone else tried it out yet?

Just found this on the tomtom website:

If you have updated your TomTom app from a previous version, your voice selection will be remembered. To select the Text-to-speech voice, tap Change Settings from the TomTom menu and then tap Voice. Scroll to the section for the language your iPhone is set to. If a Text-to-speech voice is available for this language it is listed with the label ?Computer?. Tap the voice to select it and hear a sample.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Upgraded to 1.2.

Stays at splash screen for 30 seconds then quits.

Tried restart of the iPhone, reset to no avail.

I am back to 1.1 waiting for a solution.

iPhone 3G 16 GB factory unlocked, 3.1.2, TomTom West Europe version.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eddyk View Post

Upgraded to 1.2.

Stays at splash screen for 30 seconds then quits.

Tried restart of the iPhone, reset to no avail.

I am back to 1.1 waiting for a solution.

iPhone 3G 16 GB factory unlocked, 3.1.2, TomTom West Europe version.

That happened to me last night when I installed it. I tried to open it at least 5 times. I tried it again this morning and it's been working fine for me. I've used it a few times with no problems.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Huh, this reads like the car kit has a full GPS unit built into it. That would be needed to support the non=GPS iPhone and Touch and explains a little more as to why it is so expensive.

I confirmed it myself this morning, the GPS in the car kit unit is more than just an "assist" to the GPS in your phone. I took my first generation iPhone Edge, one without a built in GPS unit, and plugged it into the car kit for this morning's drive. GPS navigation worked perfectly. 100% accurate in locations, and even the older slower iPhone Edge had the horsepower to keep everything running smoothly (with Navigon software).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Exactly. And the sirf chip that is in the car kit is MUCH more sensitive than whats in the iphone, not to mention the nice speaker thats included. A lot of those who say the car kit is just not needed, don't seem to understand these features!

Yes, I originally balked at the price tag of this thing, but when I realized that it was essentially its own GPS unit that would power a non-GPS iPhone, AND a car charger, AND a speakerphone, AND a solid dash/windshield mount, I ordered one without any feelings of guilt, but I tend to buy all the latest gadgets anyways. The built-in GPS breathes potential new life into my first generation iPhones as dedicated guidance systems. Still, I think they would sell a lot more of these things at $79.99.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JTberry View Post

Maybe I might take another look at TomTom but I still have one big question about the car dock.

Is it possible to play audio though USB when connected to a car stereo or is the USB port only for charging? I'd like to use my iPod Touch for GPS navigation but if I can't get audio out of the USB, than no thanks.

My car stereo does not have a 3.5mm jack.

I play iPod content while docked over my car's bluetooth system. Works well if you have bluetooth. I'll try to check and post back if the USB is full USB. It *should* be, since the USB connects to iPhone's dock connector in the car kit, but maybe they cut the corner on cost by not soldering the data pins? Silly if they did.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gelong99 View Post

Just found this on the tomtom website:

If you have updated your TomTom app from a previous version, your voice selection will be remembered. To select the Text-to-speech voice, tap Change Settings from the TomTom menu and then tap Voice. Scroll to the section for the language your iPhone is set to. If a Text-to-speech voice is available for this language it is listed with the label ?Computer?. Tap the voice to select it and hear a sample.

Many thanks, this fixed it! Works on Demo mode too.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petos View Post

It downloads the route and a little bit of information about the area around the route in case you go off route

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10...le_navigation/

Good info... thank you!
  • Reply 28 of 28
    It seems that the update came only for some versions of the app. I have the version for Mexico and it didn't get the update. It is still in 1.1. Does anyone know if it will eventually get the update?