Sony announces iTunes competitor for music, movies, books

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

If these idiots intend to let you download to own movies in a quality that is SUPERIOR to bluray, not "comparable" or "bluray quality" or whatever bulshit they come up with, I might be interested. Otherwise, why the hell would I buy something tied down to a proprietary company's system that is historically known for inventing the worst copyright management programs known to man (rootkit scandal anyone) and is additionally-at best- on really shitty financial ground?

I'm confused who you are talking about, you mention something about a rootkit, but that was SonyBMG, then you talk about the worst copyright management programs, I assume you are talking about Apple here, and their fairplay system they refuse to licence to anyone, yet this discussion is Sony, can you clarify what you are referring to?
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Poor compared to Blu-ray doesn?t mean that a market can?t be had. Apple?s iTMS music is poor compared to CD audio yet the iTMS was able to become the largest music store in the world. Sometimes good enough + more convenience trumps higher quality + less convenient. To use troll boy?s example, I don?t need to wait to get Netflix to send me Rachel Getting Married on Blu-ray in the mail when a digital version is SD or 720p HD is good enough.

With iTunes music 256k it is hard to tell the difference from a CD, but the streaming available to me now, it would have to be something real important to actually use it, the quality is that poor, and the internet connection that poor that it isn't an enjoyable experience.

And Windows market share is a great example of why good enough is more than enough for most people.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I'm confused who you are talking about, you mention something about a rootkit, but that was SonyBMG, then you talk about the worst copyright management programs, I assume you are talking about Apple here, and their fairplay system they refuse to licence to anyone, yet this discussion is Sony, can you clarify what you are referring to?

He?s talking about Sony. Look up the proprietary formats Sony tried to get make popular in the past, mostly failed.

FairPlay is pretty easy DRM to deal with. You can remove it by burning as an audio CD, unprecedented at time and you can play the files on nearly 100% of all PCs in the world and the most popular PMP. Of course, they no longer have that DRM on their audio, just their video and apps.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

With iTunes music 256k it is hard to tell the difference from a CD, but the streaming available to me now, it would have to be something real important to actually use it, the quality is that poor, and the internet connection that poor that it isn't an enjoyable experience.

That is now. It was 128kbps compares to CD audio and it was started back when more people were using dial up than having broadband connections. I may have 40Mbps down/5Mbps up, but I surely didn?t have that when Apple started the store. Granted I did have cable but it wasn?t nearly as fast as I have now and it surely wasn?t the norm.

Times change, even YouTube will be offering 1080p. It won?t be as high a profile as Blu-ray but it will be 1080p. Don?t overlook the value of convenience. If you don?t have a fast connection then it?s likely not more convenient to rent a movie from iTS than it is to run to a video store, but that will change. It always does.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:

FairPlay is pretty easy DRM to deal with. You can remove it by burning as an audio CD, unprecedented at time and you can play the files on nearly 100% of all PCs in the world and the most popular PMP. Of course, they no longer have that DRM on their audio, just their video and apps.

It is the video one that gets me, it is a pain to get video from iTunes to the TV, short of purchasing a NZ$90 cable to use with the iPod. Downloading video for purchase needs to come up with a compatible system pretty quickly it they want to get the traction going.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:

He?s talking about Sony. Look up the proprietary formats Sony tried to get make popular in the past, mostly failed.

Once you add FairPlay DRM onto a file, it's just as proprietary in its own way as anything Sony ever came up with. Even more so, since Sony is willing to license its formats to other companies while Apple is the only game in town to play FairPlay content.

Quote:

FairPlay is pretty easy DRM to deal with. You can remove it by burning as an audio CD,

How do I remove FairPlay from video files without violating the DMCA? Talking about audio files alone is pretty moot since every online store has moved to selling tracks devoid of DRM.

Quote:

and you can play the files on nearly 100% of all PCs in the world

And in that respect, pretty much ANY DRM-ed file can be played on PC's worldwide as OS X is still a drop in the bucket it fairly well negates any disadvantage of Windows-Only DRM.

Quote:

and the most popular PMP.

I fail to see how that is a good thing. It's still just one hardware manufacturer. And this is why I have no desire for downloaded video content because for the most part it locks you into one company's products. Right now, the best place to buy video content from is Amazon as it can be played on a wide range of devices from multiple manufacturers (even Macs).
  • Reply 47 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

Save Our Sony

Actually even this is another Apple copy ...lol. However that was a joke about Sony using this wasn't it?

"The Sophsticated Operating System, or SOS (pronounced /ˈsɔːs/), is the primary operating system developed for the Apple III computer." circa 1978.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:

Sony released a some CDs that were copy protected a few years ago. Needless to say, it was a big failure.

As for Apple's FairPlay, from what I've read, it's fairly easy to strip it from purchased music files. I've never bought music from iTunes or any other online music store, so I'm unsure about how it actually works.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Apple is like copy machine that makes the copies better than the originals.

iTunes was done before with musicmatch jukebox but that sucked.

mobile phones existed before.

But companies like Sony don't realise they should be copying the machine and not the products from the machine.

What should be done is to take a commercial product that is popular but badly implemented and giving it a good make over (like the sony reader).
  • Reply 50 of 53
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You're so right- The AppleTv combined iTunes with YouTube and Flickr and god knows what a disaster that's been without a TV or a Blu-ray attached to it like SOny's will have.

You obviously do not recall Sonys failed music store Sony Connect which they axed in 2007. The final nail in the coffin for Sony Connect was the launch of the Japanese iTunes store which achieved more sales in its first hour of business than Sony could manage in a month.

Sony may seem like a huge company but in reality Sony is comprised of many smaller segments which just don't know how to get on with each other. This has been one of the reasons for their inability to utilise the content they own for anything other than re-releases or special edition DVD and Blu-ray sales so far.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Like the second coming of Newton we keep hearing about lately- no?

That would be the iPhone
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Sony released a some CDs that were copy protected a few years ago. Needless to say, it was a big failure.

No, you are thinking of SonyBMG, although they were 50% owned by Sony at the time, it wasn't Sony itself that did it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

As for Apple's FairPlay, from what I've read, it's fairly easy to strip it from purchased music files. I've never bought music from iTunes or any other online music store, so I'm unsure about how it actually works.

No, you can't remove FairPlay from Apple's videos, that is the issue, not the audio side
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grawlix View Post

We keep hearing that various players intend to do something to compete with Apple.

How about Sony, Nintendo, Dell and others restrict their announcments to actual product launches, rather than desparately thinking out loud in front of journalists.

Because that would actually take some creative thinking along with some sort of action.