TV market looks to mimic Apple with cross-platform 'app store'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
TV manufacturers and software makers believe the next evolution of television will feature Internet-connected hardware with a selection of software available in a method like Apple's iPhone App Store.

Companies like Adobe, Roku and Yahoo, and TV manufacturers like LG, Samsung, Sony and Vizio all have a stake in the newly forming market, as profiled by SFGate. The Yahoo Widget Engine has led to around 20 applications that are now included with TV sets from a variety of major manufacturers, while Adobe Flash is coming to new connected TVs and Roku's set top box will soon offer third-party applications.

Some of Yahoo's Widget Channel Apps include Facebook, Flickr, USA Today Sports, and a fantasy football application. They work by providing content that can pop up on the side or bottom of the screen. Russ Schafer, senior director of marketing with Yahoo, said the widget applications make watching TV a more interactive experience, like using an iPhone.

Network executives hope that bringing connectivity to the television set will bring viewers back to the living room. Right now, networks must compete with users who spend as much time on their computer as they do on the couch.

Connected TVs are expected to grow in the next few years. While less than a million will be sold this year, the report noted that 13.8 million Internet-enabled TV sets will be in U.S. homes by 2013.

Apple has been rumored to enter the TV business for some time. Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray still expects that the Cupertino, Calif., company will release its own Internet-connected television set by 2011.

Such a device, Munster believes, would have a DVR and home media center functionality built into the set. Such a device could allow recorded TV shows to automatically sync with other devices in the home, like Macs, iPhones and iPods, all wirelessly. It could even, Munster predicted, act as a game machine using an iPhone or iPod touch as a controller.

Illustrations from Apple's DVR patent filing reported by AppleInsider in 2008.

He noted earlier this year that although TV hardware is a competitive business, Apple could very well "change the rules of the game" by offering best-in-class hardware and software.

The Apple TV offers connectivity with Apple's own iTunes, as well as YouTube, but does not offer an App Store like the company provides on the iPhone. In October, Apple updated the Apple TV software to version 3.0, adding compatibility with iTunes LP and iTunes Extras bonus content, along with Genius Mixes and Internet radio.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    No thanks....I will wait for Apple's version. It will be done right!
  • Reply 2 of 67
    Quote:

Apple has been rumored to enter the TV business for some time. Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray still expects that the Cupertino, Calif., company will release its own Internet-connected television set by 2011.

Such a device, Munster believes, would have a DVR and home media center functionality built into the set. Such a device could allow recorded TV shows to automatically sync with other devices in the home, like Macs, iPhones and iPods, all wirelessly. It could even, Munster predicted, act as a game machine using an iPhone or iPod touch as a controller.

Can't see them adding DVR, more likely a Hard Drive!
  • Reply 3 of 67
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

TV manufacturers and software makers believe the next evolution of television will feature Internet-connected hardware with a selection of software available in a method like Apple's iPhone App Store.

Hey, Hi there children, It's time to play follow the leader!!
  • Reply 4 of 67
    Don't they already have those? I think they're called 'computers' or something.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

A little obtuse, but I like it!
  • Reply 6 of 67
    Would be nice in the Ad breaks to do a little surfing, that's if I can read it from the coach
  • Reply 7 of 67
    I remember years ago, my father had dial-up WebTV. I used to watch him and affectionately think to myself, 'Great not only am I going to be bald, but stupid, too!'

WebTV was horrible, then MS bought it and a year or two later it was....er.....gone! So was my Dad!
  • Reply 8 of 67
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

You are 100% correct. I see a 42" iMac with an 8-core Mac Pro mobo in the future - maybe? One thing for sure, if that did happen it would be freaking expensive!
  • Reply 9 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    removed
  • Reply 10 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

No thanks....I will wait for Apple's version. It will be done right!

You've had it - for 3 years now- the AppleTV.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    Quote:

Except in this case- make it totally open.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    jingojingo Posts: 117member
    Well Apple had better hurry up about it, because if they don't the market will be sewn up by the likes of Sony et al. Normally Apple can wait a bit and get into the market later by doing it better, but this time the consumer electronics behemoths may do the job well-enough and soon-enough to corner the opportunity. Certainly if there isn't any standards war one has to ask what Apple can add. And I say this a someone who expects Apple to produce a better product than anyone else and I will then preferentially buy it, but I really do fear they'll lose this one.

Quite apart from anything else, look at AppleTV. Well executed within its limits, but the trouble is that the limits are much too tightly drawn. If it had an App store and the ability to record OTA TV I would use it much more, but as it is it just sits on the shelf and I use it once a month or so.

The product that gets most use in my house is the HD satellite (Freesat) PVR which doesn't do anything that AppleTV does, but what it does do is what I want to do most of the time - watch great TV that is either being broadcast live or that I have recorded previously.

Why don't they get it?
  • Reply 13 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't think they're correct. TVs will become Internet connected but it will be for downloading current style non-interactive TV shows, not "TV apps."

Human beings are not machines: we need to "veg out" at some point. Therefore a human will want at least one device in his house that is purely passive, even if all the others are interactive. And sorry TV manufacturers, that's you, by virtue of your device starting out as the endpoint of a broadcast medium.

What they need to think about is how to make a better passive device, instead of always trying to make their passive device interactive. The company that can do that will be successful, and the companies that keep trying to do the second will fail for the umpteenth time (based on past evidence).
  • Reply 14 of 67
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    Ya, I think the author has this all wrong. Apple will never release a TV, there are so many good TV's available and most people already own one.

No, Apple will make the AppleTV box more attractive, by offering TV on demand... but the real way. The same shows we all watch everyday, only you don't pay for cable, you pay for an iTunes Cable Subscription and download the 10 or 12 shows you watch anyway - without commercials, stream while you download, save to your iPod, etc.

I suspect that they will not tie this directly to the AppleTV, but just add it as an iTunes Store option, so those of us who choose not to buy an AppleTV will just need iTunes and way to play said media on your TV.

The TV "App Store" idea already exists in the form of the iTunes Store, the pricing is just not there yet. We'll see much better subscription service fee's offered once Apple announces the new financial deal they're coming to with the production studios.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

Can't see them adding DVR, more likely a Hard Drive!

I have to agree. a DVR would cut into the iTunes store. Seems more likely they would go the other way and include things that would increase sales.

Also, I can't see them doing a full on TV. Adding such things to the Apple TV box and letting you use any TV you want seems more likely. And more practical. If I have a 40" tv now and get a 52" next year, I can just unhook/hook my ATV and go. Also, by modifying the ATV they could probably have it out a lot sooner than 2011.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

Well Apple had better hurry up about it, because if they don't the market will be sewn up by the likes of Sony et al. Normally Apple can wait a bit and get into the market later by doing it better, but this time the consumer electronics behemoths may do the job well-enough and soon-enough to corner the opportunity. Certainly if there isn't any standards war one has to ask what Apple can add. And I say this a someone who expects Apple to produce a better product than anyone else and I will then preferentially buy it, but I really do fear they'll lose this one.

Quite apart from anything else, look at AppleTV. Well executed within its limits, but the trouble is that the limits are much too tightly drawn. If it had an App store and the ability to record OTA TV I would use it much more, but as it is it just sits on the shelf and I use it once a month or so.

The product that gets most use in my house is the HD satellite (Freesat) PVR which doesn't do anything that AppleTV does, but what it does do is what I want to do most of the time - watch great TV that is either being broadcast live or that I have recorded previously.

Why don't they get it?

Good comments. I don't think it's a matter of not getting it, I think it's more a matter of getting it right. If Apple can find a way to blow away the cable box (a device which I am sure Steve finds to be utterly offensive), then they've got something potentially very big. It has to be more than just applications running on the TV, it should change the way we interact with the TV, from the setup menus to the channel guides, the remote controls, and everything else that presently sucks. A new paradigm UI for the TV has to be the goal. I suspect they are working on this, somewhere deep in the labs at Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

Why don't they get it?

Because Steve Jobs is obsessed with Apple control. Read this months Fortune magazine as it explains how it worked for the iPhone and failed on the AppleTV.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You've had it - for 3 years now- the AppleTV.

Yep. But I was thinking of something like the app store that's on the iPhone. With a BT keyboard. Sort of an interim step before making the tv a 'computer'

besides I hope they keep the 'hot plate' feature on the ATv.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    I've got an Apple TV in my home theater for renting HD movies a la carte. I've also got a Mac Mini in my family room attached to my FPTV which I use for streaming video content from Hulu, You Tube and other sites. And I just purchased a new Panasonic FPTV that supports streaming widgets (Viera CAST) as well such as Weather and Bloomberg. Apple would have gotten my hard-earned dollars if they offered a networked TV that supported not only iTunes but Hulu as well as I'd like to get rid of the Mac Mini in the family room and have most of the features I want supported via the TV. It's the way of the future and the TV manufacturers have a lot to lose if they don't get it right. LG, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony and now Vizio are all on 1st/2nd gen networked TV's. They have the lead but will not necessarily hold it. Not sure Apple wants to get into a very low margin business like Networked TV's.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Apple is never going to make its own TV's. AI should pay attention to what is happening in the TV marketplace. HDTV prices are dropping fast - just like PC prices. HDTV's have become a commodity, just like PC's. profit margins are getting less and less. the competition is cut throat. because even low-end HDTV's now have really good pictures. this has hurt Sony in particular because for 20+ years until about 2007 it had the best picture quality models when that really made a viewing difference. now it does not. Sony has been forced this year to release a new line of much lower priced models just to stay alive. its top of the line models with super specs and all the bells and whistles just aren't selling much anymore.

and when you can buy an AppleTV for $229, who is going to pay a bigger premium extra price for an Apple HDTV instead? makes no business sense. if you have extra bucks to spend, instead you buy a bigger screen, which does make a real viewing difference.