iPhone 4 (G)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Maybe I missed it, but the discussion above seemed to be about making the screen bigger without making the device bigger. The trade-off being, a larger display but one that is more difficult to hold without dropping or accidental interaction.

The thing I want most from the next iPhone revision? Better gripability. I can't believe mine hasn't broken considering how many times it has hit the pavement after being dropped from waist or chest height.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The problem with a larger screen is the phone won't fit in a jeans pocket. Most the complaints I hear, partially from younger people is the phone is too big--especially with a case. The sort of design done above would make the device a little narrower, which would be great. That and even a little thinner would be welcomed. Don't expect a bigger screen, I don't think it'll happen.

I've had all three iPhones in my hand and the 2G version still feels the best to hold, particularly because it's narrower--with its smaller side-bezels. Narrower is the biggest thing they need to think about (physically) for the next iPhone, with practically zero side-bezel at all. Just like this mockup in fact. I do believe this mockup takes the zero bezels too far though, from a practical point of view. It has to have a "tiny" side bezel space to keep the thumb from accidentally touching the display.

I wouldn't put it past Apple, though, to correct for "accidental" touches. It seems the me the current iPhone sort of does that. I haven't taken the time to figure out exactly which presses are registered and which are not, but it seems that whenever I want to touch something without causing a certain function to happen, it works. I suppose it's the intuitive press-release algorithm and timing.

I love the mockup. When are we expecting the announcement? Ireland, any guesses? (I figured I'd ask the gentleman with 9,000 posts to these forums, who, according to his signature, has regular contact with Mr. Jobs himself!)
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SarahB View Post

Nice design. I would love a larger screen!

Nice design, as long as you're not thinking like an industrial designer of a consumer product.

One of the first concerns about the iPhone was whether it would be rugged enough to endure typical cellphone abuse. For the most part, it is, but if this mockup were the iPhone that would not be the case.

Glass straight to the edge would have insufficient structural rigidity to keep the glass from 'flexing' and then breaking. Likewise, the lack of a bezel means you can't recess the glass even a little bit (the iPhone 3GS glass is recessed ever so slightly) which helps protect against damage when dropped.

Also, the glass edges are not as durable as metal/plastic, and would likely chip over time, leading to possible sharp edges and ugliness. Apple won't do it.

Here's the iPhone 4g (rough)

• Reply 24 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

Nice design, as long as you're not thinking like an industrial designer of a consumer product.

One of the first concerns about the iPhone was whether it would be rugged enough to endure typical cellphone abuse. For the most part, it is, but if this mockup were the iPhone that would not be the case.

Glass straight to the edge would have insufficient structural rigidity to keep the glass from 'flexing' and then breaking. Likewise, the lack of a bezel means you can't recess the glass even a little bit (the iPhone 3GS glass is recessed ever so slightly) which helps protect against damage when dropped.

Also, the glass edges are not as durable as metal/plastic, and would likely chip over time, leading to possible sharp edges and ugliness. Apple won't do it.

Here's the iPhone 4g (rough)

Beautiful!

Is that a camera on the top?

When will we see Apple do an integrated (in-screen) camera for eye-contact videochatting?