Palm Pre users suffer cloud computing data loss

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I always find this claim of IT staff support odd.

NeXT was global with offices in over a dozen countries and multiple locations within each country.

Our combined staff for IT was three Engineers. Yes you read correctly. Three Engineers who were experts in all matters regarding NIS/NFS/DNS/distributed networks, et, al.

They were paid very well and with Engineering developed a wide variety of enhancements to NeXTStep in-house only to make our productivity more than double itself.

These three guys split up after the Apple Merger. One took over Apple's network, another went to run ILM and a third went to PIXAR.

Quality over Quantity.

We always like to hear about good old days, which was when money was plentiful and IT support was not as required as today.

I can tell many stories, but guess I look at bigger picture, since I play in global market.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    I like being able to back up my iPhone data to my macbook pro, which in turn, gets backed up to my Time Machine. However, I wish I could do this in the background, wirelessly. The joint at the base of two USB cables (the one that came with my iPhone and the one that came with my old iPod Mini) have been rendered useless because of a crack due to a sh*tty design by apple. One of the prongs of the power adapter came lose, too, and so now I can only recharge my phone by plugging it to my notebook.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

I like being able to back up my iPhone data to my macbook pro, which in turn, gets backed up to my Time Machine. However, I wish I could do this in the background, wirelessly. The joint at the base of two USB cables (the one that came with my iPhone and the one that came with my old iPod Mini) have been rendered useless because of a crack due to a sh*tty design by apple. One of the prongs of the power adapter came lose, too, and so now I can only recharge my phone by plugging it to my notebook.

Apple Stores have always been very good to me about replacing those cables for free. I show them the tear and they have just given me a new one no questions ask, no hassle.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple Stores have always been very good to me about replacing those cables for free. I show them the tear and they have just given me a new one no questions ask, no hassle.

I did not know that. I still have one other USB cable in case this one fails, but I would like a power adapter...though I think I threw it out already. Oh well, good to know that the cables can easily be replaced. Thanks!
  • Reply 45 of 55
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

When a plane crashes there are news stories around the world. But every single day many more people are killed on the roads. They just don't make the headlines.

Cloud computing failures can be similarly high profile events. However, the reality is that most people do not back up local data and many more people have lost documents or contacts because of a HDD failure or their phone died than have lost data due to cloud computing failures.

The more duplication of data across more locations (local + remote) the less likely you are suffer data loss; however for the average consumer, just moving to the cloud would put them in a better position than they are now.

The difference is that some of these devices push lack of local sync as a feature.

i.e. no local backup. That's the point. They're cloud-only.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Quote:

When a plane crashes there are news stories around the world. But every single day many more people are killed on the roads. They just don't make the headlines.

Cloud computing failures can be similarly high profile events. However, the reality is that most people do not back up local data and many more people have lost documents or contacts because of a HDD failure or their phone died than have lost data due to cloud computing failures.

The more duplication of data across more locations (local + remote) the less likely you are suffer data loss; however for the average consumer, just moving to the cloud would put them in a better position than they are now.

This is a very valid point. It IS an improvement for most people. The cloud isn't an either or proposition either for most people, it's a complement to either what they don't do now (as above) or for us AI readers its an addition to what we would tend to do locally anyhow.

Users are going to need to insist to Google, MS, Apple and others that we always, always are able to generate a local back-up from the iPhone, Android, Google OS etc. If we don't insist, they'll assume we're all ok with centralisation and keeping our sole source of data with them.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

As a backup medium it's still better than having nothing at all. It's another redundancy with the added benefit (in MobileMe's case) of allowing the user to work on their files (or whatever they have on the Cloud) from anywhere in tne world, across a range of devices.

For instance, I work solely off the Cloud, using my iDisk. I automatically have a local backup on my Mac, but my documents folder is actually a shortcut to my iDisk. Even if Apple, by some strange twist of fate, lost all my info on the Cloud, I'll still have it locally, automatically.

The way I use it at least, there is no downside to the Cloud except for a possible security issue, but even if my most personal files on the Cloud were somehow hacked or violated, there would be no real personal risk to me, unless someone were out to publish my scholarly papers before I did.

The "cloud" is flawed and so is the internet, you can't trust either as a backup method as proven by this article.

Internet or phone access is not always readily available, fast, reliable or secure in most parts of the world.

The most effective and reliable backup method is simple CD/DVD burning and labeling as it's write protected and not subject to mechanical or electrical problems. Scratching and warping if your not careful of course like anything. If you have to pop your DVD into a Windows machine that's pwned, at least you know the disk is safe from alteration.

Any sort of connection to Windows machine with rewritable medium carries the risk of corruption and carrying of malware.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

This is a very valid point. It IS an improvement for most people. The cloud isn't an either or proposition either for most people, it's a complement to either what they don't do now (as above) or for us AI readers its an addition to what we would tend to do locally anyhow.

Users are going to need to insist to Google, MS, Apple and others that we always, always are able to generate a local back-up from the iPhone, Android, Google OS etc. If we don't insist, they'll assume we're all ok with centralization and keeping our sole source of data with them.

It's their plan to force centralization, then device makers don't have to carry as much expensive memory on each device. So they can produce cheaper devices at charge the same price, making more margins.

If you need more storage, then your going to have to pay extra to use the "cloud".

It's going to get to the point that you won't be able to run much software on a device, rather using the cloud processors to handle the heavy lifting. The netbook will essentially be just a dumb mobile terminal.

The reason the cloud has been losing people's data is because of hackers, it's just automatic for system admins to have redundancy for mechanical purposes alone. So something or someone has access and is waiting till it can hit the whole shebang. Backups and all.

I wouldn't be surprised if extortion is part of the game.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

Can't use Bluetooth?

Is there a app for that?
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Any sort of connection to Windows machine with rewritable medium carries the risk of corruption and carrying of malware.

Not really in the case of Macs + MobileMe.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:

I hear what you're saying and everything, but with cloud computing, you're exchanging multiple hard drives for ONE BIG storage service (effectively). If a problem develops in the storage service, thousands to millions are effected. With diligent options like Leopard's Time Machine, single hard drive failures aren't that problematic... but if a cloud service goes... you have NO options. Think about it this way, count the number of companies out there who will retrieve information from damaged media... then count the companies that will retrieve information from a damaged cloud service. Do you start to see a distinct difference?

That said, I will still use my Google cloud services happily... but I would feel leery using an Android if I didn't regularly "download" my important data to someplace OTHER than Google's service. I regularly pull down my Google email via IMAP on my desktop machine. This works for me. Palm's history of trying to "hack" into iTunes and NOT to develop their own service is very disturbing and unprofessional. Sidekicks and Helio phones have NEVER thrilled me with their data backup options. These competitors need to get their act together, and pointing to the cloud and skirting local software deployment entirely is pretty ridiculous and smacks of being "cheap".

I think Palm needs to BUY some small company that has figured this out, and simply start developing their options.

~ CB
  • Reply 52 of 55
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

To think that Google's Chrome OS will have ALL your content stored in the Cloud is a little disconcerting right now...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It will, but that doesn?t mean you won?t be able to have a local copy, too.

From what I saw on Teh YooToob, the default is to store everything in the cloud. No local storage at all. Even the OS gets reblasted based on whatever Google configures, so a botched OS update can mean no computer at all.

Google has essentially rebadged the mainframe with the internet replacing SNA...
  • Reply 53 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

More proof that Palm is a godawful mess. From one fumble to another.

a semi techie friend's thought on the matter -- so they stole their syncing software from Apple, suppose it would only be fair to steal their cloud software from Microsoft
  • Reply 54 of 55
    The effects of cloud computing on the Palm Pre users today much resembles the control that the government has on modern-day Americans. We now let the government control and "secure" nearly every aspect of our lives, yet we complain when it doesn't work or when they don't manage things as well as we might ourselves.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Removed. I was mistaken.