Apple posts tools for building TuneKit iTunes LPs and Extras

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I was hoping for something like iDVD, iMovie, iWeb, Pages, Keynote. etc. that could assist the creator in building the package at a high level (themes, templates, drag and drop placement/formatting of content, etc.) leaving the Tool to create the necessary glue to make it all work.

There's nothing to say that such an authoring app can't come later. Remember that the iPhone development platform came a year after the initial 1.0 release. It would be great if everything as you describe were available out the gate, but Apple can't wait around for the full banquet to be prepared before serving the appetizers. Others (Adobe, MS, the Labels, etc.) are probably working on their own versions of this sort of thing as we discuss this.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

There's nothing to say that such an authoring app can't come later. Remember that the iPhone development platform came a year after the initial 1.0 release. It would be great if everything as you describe were available out the gate, but Apple can't wait around for the full banquet to be prepared before serving the appetizers. Others (Adobe, MS, the Labels, etc.) are probably working on their own versions of this sort of thing as we discuss this.

It seems likely that an a proper app will be created at some point. There are plenty of drag-n-drop web development apps available, including iWeb. There are some very complex aspects to the iTunes LP/Extras setup but at the same time it?s also a pretty strict format so I can easily see how an app would be in the works.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is all great news and a great article (Flash grumblers aside). The problems I see with this however are that the article perhaps paints too rosy of a picture of futuristic magazines and distribution.

For instance just because magazines *can* be produced in this way without advertisements, doesn't mean that they actually won't have advertisements. The practice of business is kind of inherently evil in that it's about self interest for most players.

If Newsweek can sell you a digital version for a price as well as put ads in it, they probably will as long as people are stupid enough to buy it, and no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the consumer. Also fashion magazines and some others are really more "about" the ads, than they are the content. To remove the ads would kind of remove the best content, leaving only puerile reviews by "writers" who can't really write. Overall, I would expect that the new magazines would have ads, but that they might soon be under competition from newcomers who will try to provide ad-free content as a bonus.

The second thing is that how rosey this future is completely depends on the distribution model. If all Apple allows is big name publishers, then there will be no freedom in this market. On the other hand, I don't see Apple becoming a publisher/gatekeeper because of the copyright issues they would have to police.

The real goal here, would be to make it possible for the average Jane Doe to publish their own books or magazines and sell them through iTunes and the (presumed) mobile book store. I don't see Apple doing that at all, although they might. So while this is a shot in the arm for ageing crap publications like Time, Newsweek, Chatelaine, PC Magazine etc., it doesn't seem like a real content revolution to me.

The point isn't that advertising will go away, but that the content providers will get the advertising dollars (as well as the micropayments) for producing value, instead of Google raking in the advertising dollars just for being a middle man.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

I was hoping for a Tool (or set of Tools) that you could give to an artist or author that would help and inspire him to package his creativity.

This ain't it!

The creator, in addition to his major talent, would need to be conversant in HTML5, CSS, XML, JavaScript, and the idiosyncrasies of iTunes, QuickTime and AppleTV.

Why? We [should] have apps for that!

I was hoping for something like iDVD, iMovie, iWeb, Pages, Keynote. etc. that could assist the creator in building the package at a high level (themes, templates, drag and drop placement/formatting of content, etc.) leaving the Tool to create the necessary glue to make it all work.

Instead, we start by discussing manifests, pLists, schemas... The creator will do all the work at a very low level using a text editor to build and interrelate all the various bits and pieces.

IMO, It was easier to learn Objective-C and iPhone development than it would be to learn to build a iTunesLP with the present approach (I have 10 plus years web development experience and had no XCode experience).

Apple should have built upon their present high-level tools rather than create this low-level morass.

Um, the paint isn't even dry on it, and you're bitching that there isn't a fully finished IDE?

Hope the ice cream trees on your world are blooming well.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Quote:

True! See comment below

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It seems likely that an a proper app will be created at some point. There are plenty of drag-n-drop web development apps available, including iWeb. There are some very complex aspects to the iTunes LP/Extras setup but at the same time it?s also a pretty strict format so I can easily see how an app would be in the works.

Also True. Though, I think Apple, the creatives, and the consumers would be better served with:

1) a high-level tool with [initial] limited-capability: themes, items (songs, chapters, titling, navigation

2) the docs and package as they stand, today.

That way, the creatives (or anyone) could use the high-level tool as an introduction to the process to get something up and running, quickly. Then get down to the underlying detail if they need to go beyond the capabilities of the tool.

By comparison: With a few minutes of experimentation, using basic Apple tools, a non-techie can create a movie; a DVD; a Web site. When you think of it, it is amazing what they can do with these tools...

I don't understand why a [desktop website] Widget (that uses an iTunes/QuickTime AV player) is more difficult than any of the above.

Sadly, as I write this, I do begin to understand-- ease of use (creating iTunesLP / iTunesExtra) is not the motivation.

• Reply 26 of 46
    You people must be blind to the fairly large writing on the wall.

Apple is poised yet again to create another veritable revolution in the publishing industry with the introduction of its tablet and content delivery system.

But this one is going to have a far greater impact than even that of the "desktop publishing" phenomenon of the late '80s and '90s.

Once again, Apple will be far ahead of anyone with its well-thought-out, smoothly-functioning, system which will create a huge new market for multi-media content.

And talk about "halo effect"! The tablet stands to bring far more people into the Apple fold for all of their information needs.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

You people must be blind to the fairly large writing on the wall.

Apple is poised yet again to create another veritable revolution in the publishing industry with the introduction of its tablet and content delivery system.

But this one is going to have a far greater impact than even that of the "desktop publishing" phenomenon of the late '80s and '90s.

Once again, Apple will be far ahead of anyone with its well-thought-out, smoothly-functioning, system which will create a huge new market for multi-media content.

And talk about "halo effect"! The tablet stands to bring far more people into the Apple fold for all of their information needs.

What is interesting about the iTunes LP and Extra format (and presumably the Apple tablet subscription service coming next year) is that Apple is using open standards to deliver it. Surely any video and possibly even certain audio can be locked down with FairPlay, but the interactive packaging is completely open source. I see no reason why others won?t be able to use TuneKit for their own version of these.

Admittedly, I am having trouble seeing how certain aspects of this can play out but it?s obvious that is just the top of the iceberg for this format and that Apple is confident enough in what they will be offering to make the code completely open source.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:

What is interesting about the iTunes LP and Extra format (and presumably the Apple tablet subscription service coming next year) is that Apple is using open standards to deliver it. Surely any video and possibly even certain audio can be locked down with FairPlay, but the interactive packaging is completely open source. I see no reason why others won?t be able to use TuneKit for their own version of these.

Admittedly, I am having trouble seeing how certain aspects of this can play out but it?s obvious that is just the top of the iceberg for this format and that Apple is confident enough in what they will be offering to make the code completely open source.

Yes, it is interesting that the packaging is open source-- the only apparent tie-in to Apple is using iTunes/Quicktime as the AV player... but competitors could certainly modify the package (or package creation tools) to use a different AV player (Flash, SilverLight, etc.) and associated DRM.

Why would Apple do that?

Maybe the wizard behind the curtain is the iTunes [music/app and whatever else] store that offers broad selection and convenience.

As you mentioned, Apple could offer certain digital content (books, magazines, specialty newsletters. etc.) with a subscription (gasp) option.

This could close the loop and make the iTunes store the "go-to hub" of all digital-content shopping.

If successful, a subscription option could be extended to more traditional iTunes media (music, video, apps, games).

A while back, Apple applied for patents for online shopping that goes beyond digital content.

http://www.macnn.com/blogs/2008/04/1...cond-life.html

Could a more robust interactive shopping experience be part of their plan?

And just how does the Tablet fit into the picture?

• Reply 29 of 46
    The thing that is great here is that we're going to see designers get put to work and not put out of work.

A WYSYWYG app would only create garbage templates and make everything look the same. If you don't know HTML5, java, Css, or jquery then you shouldn't be doing this kind of work. Why give a stethoscope to a plumber? Seriously, if you have a book that needs to be published; you would do it yourself?

This news is another reason and sign that the tablet is going to be a smash and Apple is going to dominate yet another device segment. Makes me wonder what the ATV V2 device or maybe V4 of the software will do? Web browsing and apps seems like an imminent step to integrate everything, (ex. itunes extras currently can link to the web but you have to be on a computer to use them) web surfing to a movie, music or magazine publishers site would be a great selling point for the Devs and it would make the ATV a real stand out device over ROKU or slingbox; apps even more so.

If you haven't already seen it first hand, the best thing about itunes extras really is the coming of the DVD experience (in a much better way) to the ATV and not the extras themselves. I was very impressed with the Angels and Demons menu. Utilizing the ATV remote app on my iphone made it clear the tablet will also work in conjunction with ATV. The gesture pad on the remote made it so much fun and very easy to surf the menu; especially over a traditional remote.

I have a feeling that once the tablet is out all of the ATV neigh sayers will be eating their words as the two might just end up working very closely together.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

The thing that is great here is that we're going to see designers get put to work and not put out of work.

A WYSYWYG app would only create garbage templates and make everything look the same. If you don't know HTML5, java, Css, or jquery then you shouldn't be doing this kind of work. Why give a stethoscope to a plumber? Seriously, if you have a book that needs to be published; you would do it yourself?

WYSIWYG: Wizzy-Wig -- What You See Is What You Get

WYGIWYW: Wiggy-Woo -- What You Get Isn't What You Want

There are several ways to look at this:

The creatives already hire services beyond their areas of expertise (studios, backup bands, videographers, photographers, etc) to put together a CD, DVD or a book/magazine.

Why shouldn't they be willing to hire the widget expertise (HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, XML, web design, navigation, etc).

I agree, to an extent.

However, Steve Jobs said he was going to provide tools to the creatives to allow them to build the packages, themselves.

In either case, a WYSIWG tool could be a useful productivity aid. The use of such a tool need not limit the user to a few standard, off the shelf, (as you say "garbage") templates. Rather, the WYSIWYG tool could be used to design an unique, custom template specifically tailored to the package being created and the artists desires.

In prior posts I used iWeb, iDVD, etc to represent high-level tools... that's because they are relatively known entities. They have a limited number of themes and templates (though that can be expanded).

Apple does have one very high-level GUI (WYSIWYG) Tool that is virtually unlimited and deals rather nicely with the XML that binds the the resulting package together.

That tool is InterfaceBuilder (IB) and it is currently used to create the GUI for most Mac, iPhone, iPod Touch apps (and presumably Tablet apps).

IB allows you to put together a virtually unlimited combination of standard and custom components to create unique app interfaces. The iTunes LP and Extras interfaces represent a small subset of IB's capabilities. IB is a stand-alone app with drag and drop, allows WYSIWYG, and creates a XML file as output,

Currently, IB interfaces app code written in Objective-C using Cocoa or Cocoa Touch. I see no reason that IB couldn't be extended to interface HTML5, CSS, JavaScript.

Quote:

This news is another reason and sign that the tablet is going to be a smash and Apple is going to dominate yet another device segment. Makes me wonder what the ATV V2 device or maybe V4 of the software will do? Web browsing and apps seems like an imminent step to integrate everything, (ex. itunes extras currently can link to the web but you have to be on a computer to use them) web surfing to a movie, music or magazine publishers site would be a great selling point for the Devs and it would make the ATV a real stand out device over ROKU or slingbox; apps even more so.

If you haven't already seen it first hand, the best thing about itunes extras really is the coming of the DVD experience (in a much better way) to the ATV and not the extras themselves. I was very impressed with the Angels and Demons menu. Utilizing the ATV remote app on my iphone made it clear the tablet will also work in conjunction with ATV. The gesture pad on the remote made it so much fun and very easy to surf the menu; especially over a traditional remote.

I have a feeling that once the tablet is out all of the ATV neigh sayers will be eating their words as the two might just end up working very closely together.

+++ These are excellent points

• Reply 31 of 46
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:

Jammies with Cheetos stains on the front. It's the law.

• Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:

Serious question (which I couldn't find directly addressed in the article): Will this be open to everyone, and can free content using this framework be passed around outside of the iTunes store (ie. P2P)?

And if so, could one of these bundles be essentially published as is as a regular web page with little modification? It would be interesting to see one live using Safari.

My question, too.

Anyone here know?

I'd like to create one of these for med students and residents that I teach and have them review it at their leisure on any HTML 5 compliant browser (ie. IE need not apply!)
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Quote:

I was hoping for a Tool (or set of Tools) that you could give to an artist or author that would help and inspire him to package his creativity.

This ain't it!

The creator, in addition to his major talent, would need to be conversant in HTML5, CSS, XML, JavaScript, and the idiosyncrasies of iTunes, QuickTime and AppleTV.

Why? We [should] have apps for that!

Instead, we start by discussing manifests, pLists, schemas... The creator will do all the work at a very low level using a text editor to build and interrelate all the various bits and pieces.

IMO, It was easier to learn Objective-C and iPhone development than it would be to learn to build a iTunesLP with the present approach (I have 10 plus years web development experience and had no XCode experience).

Apple should have built upon their present high-level tools rather than create this low-level morass.

Have you downloaded it and worked with it?

Just curious.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:

Serious question (which I couldn't find directly addressed in the article): Will this be open to everyone, and can free content using this framework be passed around outside of the iTunes store (ie. P2P)?

And if so, could one of these bundles be essentially published as is as a regular web page with little modification? It would be interesting to see one live using Safari.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

My question, too.

Anyone here know?

It’s HTML, CSS and JS, plus whatever audio, video and document files you put into it. There is nothing stopping you from adapting this format for a typical web browser. either to be accessed from a server or to be downloaded and accessed locally by a web browser.

If you access the package info it will already open up in Safari just as it does in iTunes. I’d like to do also same in QuickTime. I‘d also like them to be accessible by the .ITE and .iTLP extensions.

Quote:

I'd like to create one of these for med students and residents that I teach and have them review it at their leisure on any HTML 5 compliant browser (ie. IE need not apply!)

Go for it, though I’d image that there will eventually be a Firefox plug in to make these work without iTunes or Safari, as well as a open project to make this format even more open and universal than it is. Create an interactive, DVD menu-like experience without DVD authoring software. Just DLed the file and have it run in any browser.

PS: IE9 is going to have plenty of HTML5 support from MS.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:

Have you downloaded it and worked with it?

Just curious.

Yes!

• Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:

Quote:

My question, too.

Anyone here know?

The HTML5, CSS, JavaScript and XML are standard. The TuneKit frame work uses iTunes as the AV player on the desktop and the QuickTime built into AppleTV as the AV player on AppleTV.

At present, without modification, you could not run it in a browser (as there is no iTunes plugin).

That said, someone could reverse engineer the TuneKit framework and substitute browser plugins.

This would likely be acceptable if you had no need for the user to venture outside your package.

But, one of the great potentials of Apple's packages is that they can extend beyond the bounds of the package, itself, and integrate content from the iTunes store(s) as well as any web site. You can browse and shop within the package... kinda' like a Music Video, Song Album, Movie or eBook with in-app [in-content] shopping/purchasing.

If the reverse-engineered package wanted to duplicate the extended function, it would require it to invoke iTunes function through special (behind-the-scenes) web calls to iTunes, and then approximate iTunes UI within its own framework... or just invoke iTunes on the desktop. At that point, the reverse engineered framework is redundant.

The more I think about this, I am beginning to tell myself that it's not about the content...

...It's the shopping, stupid!

• Reply 37 of 46
    I've been searching for hours, and I've been trying to create an iTunes LP using the templates provided, and there is no way to assign an XID tag to the music!!! Any ideas?
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmwinand View Post

I've been searching for hours, and I've been trying to create an iTunes LP using the templates provided, and there is no way to assign an XID tag to the music!!! Any ideas?

edit 2: I think brain fart is common term for my initial posting.

These links contain work arounds to supplying an XID.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:

WYSIWYG: Wizzy-Wig -- What You See Is What You Get

WYGIWYW: Wiggy-Woo -- What You Get Isn't What You Want

LOL yeah I need to get my acronyms corrected. Better get to the doctor on monday.

but nice variation of your own as well

I was thinking you meant idvd, iweb type of program, which to me have been a disappointment even for the consumer. As far as free software goes it can't be beat, but the templates "kill" me; perhaps there are sources for better and more templates. None of the casual users I know ever seems to use the apps. strange. IB is a great piece of software, I agree. Thanks for the clarification on your thoughts.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:

edit 2: I think brain fart is common term for my initial posting.

These links contain work arounds to supplying an XID.

I saw those earlier today, but those are all pre-developer kit. In the new documentation, they say there is a way to create a TEST XID using UUIDs, and it specifies the parameters and everything, but does not how to say to attach them to the XID tag on the audio file. It's so frustrating!