Apple accused of NAND flash memory price manipulation

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

I was relating credit to the tracking of individuals. As they are scanned at point of sale, giving location or used online for product to be delivered, also giving location. It's an invasion of privacy. Credit companies sell the data use to other companies. As in age and product info. What you buy and where you are is being tracked. Google is another company I would want nothing to do with.

what I don't understand is people who buys things they can wait for. I see it all the time on here. Someone had one month, ONE MONTH, or 30 days left on a Verizon contract and they CANCELED it to get an iPhone. What an idiot, and I'm serious. 30 fricken days out like 23725 days of their life, and they could wait. And they want to complain about a cancellation fee???

What's it like being totally crazy? Like, is it fun (like dressing up crazy on halloween), or do you feel inside the same way people see you from the outside, like, all scared and confused all the time?
  • Reply 42 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter02l View Post

It's not monopsony because there are more than one buyer. In fact, there are hundreds of buyers.

By the way taking econ 101 is not an sign of enlightenment. I am sure all the bankers and politicians and CEOs who drove this economy into the gutter have taken econ 101. I can tell you this system does not work based on the principals taught in that class.

Monopsony doesn't require a single buyer, it requires one buyer to have inordinate market power, the power to move prices on its own. Just like, say, the definition of monopoly doesn't require a single seller.

While I agree that having taken Econ 101 is not a sign of enlightenment, NOT having taken it (as you clearly haven't) and then trying to participate in a discussion over economic terms is a sign of being foolish.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

I like how someone said something about being at the gov's whim. Aren't we "the people" supposed to be "the gov"

Er, no. A popular misconception.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asgiov View Post

Apple is ORDERING a large number of NAND chips from Korea, thus Korea PRODUCES the number of chips ordered.

Then it seems like Samsung is accusing Apple of forcing them to HOLD ON to the chips they made, exclusively for Apple, until Apple feels like buying them.

It is possible that Apple has a quarterly quota but Samsung has a daily production rate. Stockpiles swing wildly as Apple takes large delivery when prices drop as inventory peaks. There is no reason that Apple would go for daily purchase contracts, as the timing of production or new products is impacted on a monthly scale. It is a lot like commodity futures as they approach expiration.

I am sure Apple is doing a few things that are on the edge of ethical, but Samsung is no angel either. I thought the whole pre-purchase of inventory was mutually beneficial.

Both a dominant purchaser or supplier can game any commodity, and NAND falls into that category. If Samsung wants to shift the market dynamic they should start making terabyte flash drives and dumping them in the market. That will quickly absorb excess supply, create a new market, and put them back in control.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

What's it like being totally crazy? Like, is it fun (like dressing up crazy on halloween), or do you feel inside the same way people see you from the outside, like, all scared and confused all the time?

His reasons may be different, but there are many Americans who live that way. My parents have no debt, pay cash for everything, including their cars and house etc. Hell I am shocked that in the last 5 years they finally got cable and internet. In their case it's not about fear of being tracked, but fear of being poor and refusing to borrow or owe money. Given current economic conditions seems smart to me.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

His reasons may be different, but there are many Americans who live that way. My parents have no debt, pay cash for everything, including their cars and house etc. Hell I am shocked that in the last 5 years they finally got cable and internet. In their case it's not about fear of being tracked, but fear of being poor and refusing to borrow or owe money. Given current economic conditions seems smart to me.

But as you seem to understand, ones reasons for doing something do have a bearing on how crazy that thing is. Someone who washes his hands 50 times a day is pretty nuts, unless he works in a hospital. And the guy who thinks the government is tracking him if he used a credit card is crazy.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Well Apple has an iPhone app censorship board so nothing would surprise me.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter02l View Post

It's not monopsony because there are more than one buyer.

Not correct. Seldom if ever is there a market with one and only one buyer. All that's required for monopsonistic behavior to be exercised is for a single buyer to be the purchaser of a dominant share of the particular market's supply.

[Edit: Sorry - missed cameronj's earlier post in which he made this same point.]
  • Reply 49 of 60
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    If this story is true... is anyone else enjoying the irony?
  • Reply 50 of 60
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

well the hunt bros tried to control silver

apple does pre buy pre pay $500 million yrfor its nand flash

and you can-t help ay yhese large amounts to affect the market

maybe apple does drive a hard bargain !!

good for america
  • Reply 51 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

this is the first time i've ever heard of demand outstripping supply, yet prices fall. Unreal.

bingo

apple is that good

nand flash goes obsolete so fast

if you don't move it of the shelves quick your f--d

the next gen makes the old gen near worthless

the flash market like the chip market goes thru boom and bust cycles all the time
  • Reply 52 of 60
    Quote:

Monopsony doesn't require a single buyer, it requires one buyer to have inordinate market power, the power to move prices on its own. Just like, say, the definition of monopoly doesn't require a single seller.

While I agree that having taken Econ 101 is not a sign of enlightenment, NOT having taken it (as you clearly haven't) and then trying to participate in a discussion over economic terms is a sign of being foolish.

Monopsony ??
  • Reply 53 of 60
    I don't like debt. That's most of whats to it. I am lawfully disinclined, thus I don't really need ANYBODY to know where I am. I guess you could say I'm crazy, but I believe society is crazy, so take it how you want it.

LCD can be just as energy efficent ( http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/t...umption-chart/ )

Lifespan is not a factor. It used to be that people chose LCD TVs over plasma TVs because LCD TVs had a longer lifespan than plasma TVs. That advantage is no longer the case, the new generation of plasma TVs last just as long as LCD TVs. The average lifespan of both TVs should average out to about 60,000 hours. That means if you watched TV for 8 hours every day, these TVs could theoretically last 20 years.

( http://www.rvlifestyleexperts.com/fr...asma-v-lcd-tv/ )

Considering my plasma will be around for 20 years+ (at 8 hours viewing a day), I'm sure by then they'll have enough plasma converters (turn trash to gas) to burn it up and reuse the energy extracted.

But anyways I was thinking of this driving home: Apple orders X amount and only pays per chip or allotment. But Apple never pays for all the chips they ordered. So Apple gets a discount (lower price) for ordering such a large quantity, but they never buy them all, thus creating an oversupply which then lowers the price of NAND. Basically Apple is manipulating the system to lower the price of NAND by creating an over stock by ordering so many and not buying all of what they ordered but still paying bulk price per chip or just in allotments. So then Samsung with there now oversupply of NAND must off them at a lower price than would have been had Apple bought all they ordered. Just a theory
  • Reply 54 of 60

cameronj

\t

Quote:

"I was relating credit to the tracking of individuals. As they are scanned at point of sale, giving location or used online for product to be delivered, also giving location. It's an invasion of privacy. Credit companies sell the data use to other companies. As in age and product info. What you buy and where you are is being tracked. Google is another company I would want nothing to do with.

what I don't understand is people who buys things they can wait for. I see it all the time on here. Someone had one month, ONE MONTH, or 30 days left on a Verizon contract and they CANCELED it to get an iPhone. What an idiot, and I'm serious. 30 fricken days out like 23725 days of their life, and they could wait. And they want to complain about a cancellation fee???"

cameronj says,

"What's it like being totally crazy? Like, is it fun (like dressing up crazy on halloween), or do you feel inside the same way people see you from the outside, like, all scared and confused all the time?"

I say...YOU must be the guy that couldn't wait to get an iPhone so you paid a $170 cancellation fee instead of waiting a month and just paying your last bill (less that $170).
  • Reply 55 of 60
    Quote:

But anyways I was thinking of this driving home: Apple orders X amount and only pays per chip or allotment. But Apple never pays for all the chips they ordered. So Apple gets a discount (lower price) for ordering such a large quantity, but they never buy them all, thus creating an oversupply which then lowers the price of NAND. Basically Apple is manipulating the system to lower the price of NAND by creating an over stock by ordering so many and not buying all of what they ordered but still paying bulk price per chip or just in allotments. So then Samsung with there now oversupply of NAND must off them at a lower price than would have been had Apple bought all they ordered. Just a theory

Samsung would have to be a REALLY stupid giant multinational company to not have ANYONE on their whole staff who could figure out that little loophole and write it into a contract.

Amazing how many business geniuses post on this message board while NONE can be found in Samsung's conference rooms. Don't you think?
  • Reply 56 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Samsung would have to be a REALLY stupid giant multinational company to not have ANYONE on their whole staff who could figure out that little loophole and write it into a contract.

Don't you think?

I think, I think!
  • Reply 57 of 60
    Quote:

cameronj

\t

Quote:

"I was relating credit to the tracking of individuals. As they are scanned at point of sale, giving location or used online for product to be delivered, also giving location. It's an invasion of privacy. Credit companies sell the data use to other companies. As in age and product info. What you buy and where you are is being tracked. Google is another company I would want nothing to do with.

what I don't understand is people who buys things they can wait for. I see it all the time on here. Someone had one month, ONE MONTH, or 30 days left on a Verizon contract and they CANCELED it to get an iPhone. What an idiot, and I'm serious. 30 fricken days out like 23725 days of their life, and they could wait. And they want to complain about a cancellation fee???"

cameronj says,

"What's it like being totally crazy? Like, is it fun (like dressing up crazy on halloween), or do you feel inside the same way people see you from the outside, like, all scared and confused all the time?"

I say...YOU must be the guy that couldn't wait to get an iPhone so you paid a $170 cancellation fee instead of waiting a month and just paying your last bill (less that $170).

Not following you. I've had the iPhone since it first came out (after the first price drop) and didn't have to pay any fee since I've been with ATT for about 10 years.

What in the world does your reply have to do with this thread?
  • Reply 58 of 60
    I could ask you the same thing. But I won't, because I'm nice.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    Quote:

I could ask you the same thing. But I won't, because I'm nice.

Nice and simple?
  • Reply 60 of 60
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Been telling family and friends for years. The buyer has all the power. We the consumer have more power than any industry. We (as a whole nation) are stupid and don't research what we buy. When we do that we are throwing away our power. We chose what is made and what is not made. If more people were concerned about quality instead of quantity LCD tv's wouldn't be here. OS X would have a much higher market share, we wouldn't buy "American" cars just because it's "American" supporting companies that take our jobs away and build "American" cars in foreign plants. We wouldn't have a credit (how the gov keeps track of you) crunch. We wouldn't have a mortgage crisis. If people were smarter and more disciplined (live within your means) we would all be better off.

Thats's right! I have no bank accounts, no credit cards, no loans, no cars in my name. All cash all the time, ain't nobody in my business Was even thinking of de-printing my fingers.

Is your real name John Connor..?