Google Phone reports continue; Apple rejects Motorola Droid app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapple View Post

What would happen if Microsoft or google start blocking Apples adds from their products?

ummm.... they'd both lose money?
  • Reply 22 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

There is a new and free marketing tool.. get Apple to reject your iPhone app!!

Excellent point!
  • Reply 23 of 88
    Ok admit it, you posted this story as an early xmas / Hanukkah / kawanza preset to Teckstud right?
  • Reply 24 of 88
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

i'm surprised by your comment. does apple promote their products in windows software, or chrome (that are not paid advertising on public sites)? please give examples if you think they do.

Everytime a Windows user needs to update Apple's iTunes program for upteenth time they get an default Safari download (basically an advertisement) that they have to disengage- OK? Let's see the reaction from the fanbots if Microsoft rejects that mumbo-combo.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapple View Post

What would happen if Microsoft or google start blocking Apples adds from their products?

It's not blocking advertising; Droid ads can still pop up on websites or on TVU or whatever. If Apple asked MS to ship Windows with a bunch of "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" ads on the desktop, they would (quite fairly) tell them to go shove it.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Everytime a Windows user needs to update Apple's iTunes program for upteenth time they get an default Safari download (basically an advertisement) that they have to disengage- OK? Let's see the reaction from the fanbots if Microsoft rejects that mumbo-combo.

Judging by the fact that you said that means you don't use iTunes.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

It's not blocking advertising; Droid ads can still pop up on websites or on TVU or whatever. If Apple asked MS to ship Windows with a bunch of "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" ads on the desktop, they would (quite fairly) tell them to go shove it.

It's not a straight advertisement, so your point is moot.

It was an interactive app. Many music artists have them as well - diguising that fact they are basically advertisements for their themselves.
  • Reply 28 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Any Apple ad appearing on a web site run my MS or Google is paid for by Apple. Not provided for free. Why would Apple be under any obligation to provide free distribution of advertisements (via a free app on the App Store, for which Apple pays the costs to run) for a competing product? That's just absurd.

I agree, I didn't think about ads being free vs paid for.

In the end, it all comes down to distribution. apple is not obligated to distribute but apple is the only potential distributor :-p

theres nothing preventing apple from writing a windows application who's only purpose is to promote apple products (aka an adware)?

like theres nothing preventing microsoft from writing an adware for macosx.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    Quote:

MS ceded control of what could or could not be developed on the Windows platform donkey's years ago... same actually goes for OS X.

Can you install Safari on Xbox? What? No? ...world dies of shock.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Yes I do - what is your point?
  • Reply 31 of 88
    Quote:

It's not a straight advertisement, so your point is moot.

It was an interactive app. Many music artists have them as well - diguising that fact they are basically advertisements for their themselves.

That's a contradiction.
  • Reply 32 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

I think he is one of the ~700 Psystar customers.

I knew when mac_dog asked his question that would be his answer (I really wish that blocking a user would mean their posts didn?t come up as quoted replies). Irritable BowelBoy can?t see the difference between one company creating an app specifically as an advert for a competing device and an Apple installer app that lists other options for app installs for other Windows apps they make. They aren?t whoring out their installer to sneak in Ask.com tool bars, just apps that they make.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think he is one of the ~700 Psystar customers.

I knew when mac_dog asked his question that would be his answer (I really wish that blocking a user would mean their posts didn’t come up as quoted replies). Irritable BowelBoy can’t see the difference between one company creating an app specifically as an advert for a competing device and an Apple installer app that lists other options for app installs for other Windows apps they make. They aren’t whoring out their installer to sneak in Ask.com tool bars, just apps that they make.

No- they're "whoring" out their installer to sneak in a browser application, you who know so little yet thinks they know everything (including my responses) and thinks the decade ends next year.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    Sounds like a really pointless app. (I guess there are some that would want the glowing eye thing.) But there are MANY pointless apps on the store that are accepted.

Even though its Apple's competition, kinda a lame move on their part. It would be as if Safari blocked all Dell, HP, Acer, etc ads from showing, but allowing others that Apple agreed with through. Or it would be like Windows blocking iTunes, QuickTime, or Safari from installing. (iTunes IS an ad on windows with the feature of organizing your music/videos added on.) Or even worse, Apple stopping the support and blocking any install of Windows on their machines! Imagine the backlash!

Given, having played with a Droid, I wasn't impressed (though I liked it better than the iPhone) enough to care. I don't like its advertising scheme, and I don't like how it hits out against the iPhone. I don't like how the new iPhone ads hit out against the competition either. Just make your device amazing enough that no one can touch you and advertise only your device! The iPhone has a great market share, so I understand why the Droid ads (and this app) are created to hit out against iPhone... but the iPhone ads that hit out against competition doesn't make sense to me. Apple's the thing to have, so why hit out at the competition. Just advertise the iPhone as the device that it is!
  • Reply 35 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

MS ceded control of what could or could not be developed on the Windows platform donkey's years ago... same actually goes for OS X.

Can you install Safari on Xbox? What? No? ...world dies of shock.

You might want to clarify that you mean Windows OS PC desktop or he?ll likely come back saying that XBox is built off of Windows which won?t make any sense in the context of his argument but it require a couple pages of schooling from various posters and him changing his stance several times before he finally wets himself and moves onto to another thread to troll.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Sounds like a really pointless app. (I guess there are some that would want the glowing eye thing.) But there are MANY pointless apps on the store that are accepted.

Even though its Apple's competition, kinda a lame move on their part. It would be as if Safari blocked all Dell, HP, Acer, etc ads from showing, but allowing others that Apple agreed with through. Or it would be like Windows blocking iTunes, QuickTime, or Safari from installing. (iTunes IS an ad on windows with the feature of organizing your music/videos added on.)

Given, having played with a Droid, I wasn't impressed (though I liked it better than the iPhone) enough to care.

It's a really bad move- this will come back to haunt them, Brilliant move by Droid (Motorola)- they basically set Apple up for ridicule.
  • Reply 37 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You might want to clarify that you mean Windows OS PC desktop or he’ll likely come back saying that XBox is built off of Windows which won’t make any sense in the context of his argument but it require a couple pages of schooling from various posters and him changing his stance several times before he finally wets himself and moves onto to another thread to troll.

You're laughable and totally sad- too much turkey, not enough kool-aid?
  • Reply 38 of 88
    Quote:

It's a really bad move- this will come back to haunt them, Brilliant move by Droid (Motorola)- they basically set Apple up for ridicule.

I doubt it will come back to haunt Apple. Look around here, Apple is a mainstay. It does show how Apple operates, yet again... but if you look at the increasing numbers, it hasn't had any negative affect on them, oddly.

Have you sold all your Apple devices yet?
  • Reply 39 of 88
    Quote:

thinks the decade ends next year.

It does end next year, and it ends this year. Why that concept is so hard for you grasp is beyond me, but I guess 10 is big number to some people. If you lost a couple digits in special ed wood shop you might want to consider using.

Favorite TeckStud comments (paraphrased): “I don’t know what year the calendar started because I wasn’t there and neither we you so you can’t say it started at year one when it could have started with year zero", “Bill Gates invented the two-button mouse” and “Newton didn’t discover gravity, he invented gravity.”
  • Reply 40 of 88
    And since we are all into theoretical scenarios,

I think if the US Airforce wrote an app to promote themselves, Appstore would reject it because of the recent purchase of 2200 PS3 which are in direct competition with Apple TV and would result in Steve Jobs in Guantanamo bay where his iphone 3g is useless..cuz theres no map for that