Google hopes to compete with iTunes, offer pay TV on YouTube

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

And will Googles approach be able to allow one to watch on their tv?

Besides my previous posting about media extenders, it?s possible that future TVs will be able to play YouTube directly, perhaps even with Chrome OS installed for internet browsing. On top of that, with YouTube?s H.264 usage and HTTP Streaming it?s not unfathomable to think that these shows could be viewed on handheld devices, too.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    "launching a TV rental business without the big hits that Apple and Amazon offer," Kafka said. "One possibility: It could start by moving immediately to long and mid-'tail' shows"

What TV shows does iTunes not have? It has everything. Now, it's movie selection is very thin. I would also think that cable providers, such as Comcast, would make a serious effort to cap broadband consumption if people started watching more TV over internet and less on cable. Or, they would certainly raise the price for broadband internet service.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Is there a plex plug-in yet? :-)
  • Reply 24 of 43
    This is stupid. I was expecting to read that they'd charge around 50¢, which would be reasonable for a single streaming view of a TV episode. At $2, I can't imagine what advantage they think they'd be offering over iTunes.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's looking increasingly to me like Google and Apple are going to totally own everything in terms of software for the next decade, with Apple taking the high end and Google filling in what would otherwise be Microsoft's place with the free/lesser junkier stuff for the masses.

How long till Microsoft just gives up on the whole idea of being anything but a (crappy) OS maker? I predict major job cuts, dissolution/reorganisation and the cutting loose of most of their divisions at Microsoft by November 2012 at the latest.

That's a pretty good take on the Big Picture.

Looks like Apple was prescient in declaring that they and Google were increasingly becoming competitors. I think it's just a matter of time before Apple launches its own search service for the iPhone, and eventually for ALL its products including the Mac. If that doesn't make Apple and Google head-on competitors, I don't know what will.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

20 shows is still 5 a week, how much TV does a person need? Besides, with Hulu and other websites (ABC.com offers virtual HD quality) you can watch way more than this for free.

I'm saving about $80 a month from dumping Cable. I paid all that just to get HBO/Showtime and Comedy Central - but you have to pay for all the shite to get the ad-ons...

Spoken like a single guy with one TV set.

Start a family, own multiple TV sets watching kids programs, news, sports, etc etc (and the sheer convenience of being able to turn on and off randomly from one to the other, or being able to switch channels) and you'll see.

Google's business model on this is dead on arrival.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Could we get cut out the immature copy cat comments? Successful businesses always try to expand into new areas. It's as simple as that. Grow up and get over it.

I don't recall anyone here calling out Apple when they introduced the Apple TV which was essentially a copy of the existing Windows Media Extender. I don't recall anyone complaining about Apple copying Palm or Blackberry when they introduced the iPhone.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

What TV shows does iTunes not have? It has everything. Now, it's movie selection is very thin. I would also think that cable providers, such as Comcast, would make a serious effort to cap broadband consumption if people started watching more TV over internet and less on cable. Or, they would certainly raise the price for broadband internet service.

That's why Comcast is looking at purchasing a majority share of NBC from GE, and along with it HULU which will I would wager will either not be free or available to everyone (without a cable subscription) for very long. To many unknowns still to know what they are going to do but they are thinking about it.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Looks like Apple was prescient in declaring that they and Google were increasingly becoming competitors.

Or Apple was not so dumb, after all, in having Schmidt sit on their Board......
  • Reply 30 of 43
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I stopped watching tv 2 years ago. Now occasionally when I see a tv it just doesn't capture my attention anymore. It's the content and the commercials + it just take too much time! I'm looking forward to when the new tv model is really in effect, globally so that I can watch one or two important tv productions a month or so. I can't even download a movie on iTunes yet where I'm at. Still a looong way to go for this to happen globally.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But what about people who don?t want much TV. This could save them money each month.

I really only watch one show, "Mad Men". I can buy a whole season on iTunes for appr. $36, which is half of my monthly cable bill. If I dump cable, pay for my one show, and an occasional movie, I'm coming out WAY ahead.

Except that I haven't figured out what to do about sports. I guess I can BootCamp to XP and watch it from there.

I get local news from the internet anyway. For whatever reason, the content of TV broadcasts, including regular programming and commercials is far too noisy. I'd prefer it this way. I may cave on the cable plan and just get local programming through cable. Not sure about that though.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's looking increasingly to me like Google and Apple are going to totally own everything in terms of software for the next decade, with Apple taking the high end and Google filling in what would otherwise be Microsoft's place with the free/lesser junkier stuff for the masses.

How long till Microsoft just gives up on the whole idea of being anything but a (crappy) OS maker? I predict major job cuts, dissolution/reorganisation and the cutting loose of most of their divisions at Microsoft by November 2012 at the latest.

microsoft is interested in the corporate IT market. Exchange Server rules corporate email. SQL Server is growing market share. WIndows Server gets good reviews in every new release.

Microsoft licenses ActiveSync to Apple and Google. Soon most of the world's smartphones will pay the microsoft tax.

Silverlight is growing so expect to pay the MS tax there as well
  • Reply 33 of 43
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    If Google hasn't noticed Youtube is a personal video sharing site. Let's keep it that way Google. If it wants to offer something why not brand it as Google Video or Google TV. I don't think youtube will ever be a good vehicle to roll out TV episodes or Movies, just cause that would ruin the YOU in youtube. But maybe it's just me.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

That's a pretty good take on the Big Picture.

Looks like Apple was prescient in declaring that they and Google were increasingly becoming competitors. I think it's just a matter of time before Apple launches its own search service for the iPhone, and eventually for ALL its products including the Mac. If that doesn't make Apple and Google head-on competitors, I don't know what will.

Only if you're not looking at the whole "Big Picture." Apple and Google barely even compete with Microsoft in the enterprise arena. Where are the competitors to Microsoft's Exchange Server, SQL Server and SharePoint services? That's just naming a few off the top of my head. Microsoft really doesn't have any competitors when it comes to office suites either and certainly not from Google or Apple.

Really the only area Microsoft and Apple compete in is the OS space. Microsoft and Google are fighting over the search/ad space.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I know this off-topic, but MS never lets us down with there issues

Absolutely priceless http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8388253.stm

Not blue screen death now going for black theme :lol

Windows 7 is out and it is not going to have any of the problems my last operating system has....

and they say "I am a Mac" ads are not true
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Windows 7 is out and it is not going to have any of the problems my last operating system has....

and they say "I am a Mac" ads are not true

It?s true. They keep changing the colour of the screen of death to make it new again.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

It?s true. They keep changing the colour of the screen of death to make it new again.

I am surprised they kept it blue for that long though
  • Reply 38 of 43
    801801 Posts: 271member
    TV generally insults your intelligence.

Do your mind a favor:

Read
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I am surprised they kept it blue for that long though

One of the Vista betas I had a red screen of death.

PS: I wonder how Apple makes their kernel panic screen. It seems to take a snapshot of the display and rolls a transparent image over it. It seems pretty intense for a kernel panic. I recall the first time I saw that in 10.0 and thinking that even kernel panics are aesthetically pleasing in the new Mac OS.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I know this off-topic, but MS never lets us down with there issues

Absolutely priceless http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8388253.stm

Not blue screen death now going for black theme :lol

Quote:

Quote:

One of the Vista betas I had a red screen of death.

PS: I wonder how Apple makes their kernel panic screen. It seems to take a snapshot of the display and rolls a transparent image over it. It seems pretty intense for a kernel panic. I recall the first time I saw that in 10.0 and thinking that even kernel panics are aesthetically pleasing in the new Mac OS.

And the News turned to be the false one as the compatibility issue was not due to Microsoft's update

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/1...patches-umm-no

So yeah

Back to Snow Leopard and deleting user files!