Apple's iPhone predicted to find home at T-Mobile U.S. in 2010

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

OK cool- so at least it's better than the situation with Verizon.

Verizon does have plenty of pros with their network, too.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KangaMoJo View Post

My money says that Apple buys T-Mobile and releases the tablet together. Pour a couple of billion into upgrading the network directly to 4G. It ties the macosphere together and there a few gajillion iPhone users who would switch instantly when their ATT contract ends.

T-Mobile is the USA arm of Deutsche Telekom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Telekom

They are marching ahead with 4G LTE.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...direct.to.lte/
  • Reply 23 of 60
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Noticed a T-Mo ad today pushing 3G and this immediately came to my mind as well. I'm still a little suspicious about it though; it makes great sense for T-Mo as a way to come back and kick what is left of Sprint. It doesn't however do a whole lot for AT&T. If they couldn't get the QCom chip at the right price in the quantities they are looking at I would be quite surprised.

Maybe this means that the Google Phone will use VZ for data...?
  • Reply 24 of 60
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

They are marching ahead with 4G LTE.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...direct.to.lte/

More antennas! More, smaller base stations! Leverage all the WiFi hotspots!

If T-Mo really wants to make a push for it, LTE looks like too long-term of a plan. It would preserve capital, but it would keep their 3g (not to mention 2/2.5g) coverage pretty weak.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Noticed a T-Mo ad today pushing 3G and this immediately came to my mind as well. I'm still a little suspicious about it though; it makes great sense for T-Mo as a way to come back and kick what is left of Sprint. It doesn't however do a whole lot for AT&T. If they couldn't get the QCom chip at the right price in the quantities they are looking at I would be quite surprised.

Maybe this means that the Google Phone will use VZ for data...?

Bingo! Google "phone" might be a data handset that taps into VZ 3G data only, then uses Google Voice as internet phone service. It would be similar to getting a 3G data card for your laptop... only the handset is like the laptop. Considering the FCC's position, VZ might not be able to say no.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Since I have T-Mobile and am happy with their service, please be true! Pretty please.

I'm also on T-mobile and would be interested.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    When I had a Blackberry on T-Mobile, I was able to talk and use data at the same time. Apparently some EDGE towers support this, some don't. In Boston, they do. Slow as hell but still useful.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Hence all the iPhone bashing.

Verizon's CDMA network is slower than planned/future AT&T 3G of 7.2Mb and 14Mb and as we all know, does not support concurrent voice/data,,,,,which Apple is persistently advertising as a unique feature.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,083member
    this would be AWESOME. and i don't use that word very often. awesome only because use the 'pay as you go plan' (currently, roughly 3 months for $25), then get rid of my land line.

my current t-mobile phone is nothing to write home about, but if it was an iphone, it would be a completely different story.

keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yuck- T- Mobile's map is even less full than AT&T's?

Do they still use Catherine Zeta Jones at least?

GIGGITY, GIGGITY... Oh, Yeah!... Catherine Zeta Jones is still out there for T-Mobile...

T-Mo may be less full then At&T but for the most part, I can't complain for my particular location on the Virginia coastal area...
  • Reply 31 of 60
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Blackberry owned the market - why would there need to be a commercial?

Anyway Verizon and Droid apparently know what they are doing:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-10...html?tag=mncol

http://cnettv.cnet.com/ep-1115-droid...html?tag=mncol

Didn't Blackberry own the Business Market? There would be no need for a commercial.

Wasn't Palm's TREO or Handspring's Visor and added accesories, etc. meant more for the consumer versus Blackberry business unit?

Verizon and Droid may know what they are doing... NOW... but from the testing of the Droid and Palm PRE at my local Best Buy, for me personally, I'm not impressed with either product and especially their much touted physical keyboards!
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Didn't Blackberry own the Business Market? There would be no need for a commercial.

Wasn't Palm's TREO or Handspring's Visor and added accesories, etc. meant more for the consumer versus Blackberry business unit?

Verizon and Droid may know what they are doing... NOW... but from the testing of the Droid and Palm PRE at my local Best Buy, for me personally, I'm not impressed with either product and especially their much touted physical keyboards!

He doesn?t understand that with a consumer product you have to advertise relentlessly. Especially if you ?own? the market. Have you ever heard of a company saying, ?We have the most market share so let?s stop wasting money on advertising?? I haven?t. If that were the case then I wouldn?t see Coca-Cola and McDonalds ads all the time. Maybe RiM should have advertised more.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    If it does happen, it will forced AT&T to drop prices. AT&T might have a bigger network but in some places their coverage is about the same. A iPhone with a T mobile unlimited everything plan for $99 or less a month will sure be sweet.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

If it does happen, it will forced AT&T to drop prices. AT&T might have a bigger network but in some places their coverage is about the same. A iPhone with a T mobile unlimited everything plan for $99 or less a month will sure be sweet.

Is that what they charge now for unlimited everything? I wouldn?t bet on the iPhone falling into that category if interest is as high as i expect it to be. They could at least squeeze another $10 or $20 of customers, especially if they are subsidizing it as much as AT&T is.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Its been annoying to see people claiming the iPhone is coming to Verizon. A) Not while Verizon is using CDMA, B) Not until Verizon and ATT switch to LTE

It just doesnt make sense to add functionality to something that is end of life. Verizon is moving to LTE, Tmobile is already on GSM like ATT (granted, different frequencies, but thats a much easier fix than CDMA support.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    Just a quick note here: the iDon't ads are Motorola's not Verizon's. Verizon may accept them as Motorola's right to advertise their product, but not represent Verizon's ideas about the iPhone.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    A few points in Tmobile's favor here.

First, Tmobile doesn't lock down their network nor even try to heavily modify their phones to use their own services. That would help them lure Apple.

Second, Tmobile tends to be very good about compensating for their network. They have no problem applying VOIP calling within certain plans.

Third and final point, people don't mind the network being a bit spotty when they pay a reasonable dollar. They really mind it when they pay top dollar though.

AT&T demands a $30 data plan even if you live in areas with no 3G. They don't allow you to hook up a used iPhone without a two year contract. In short they are ridiculous and Tmobile could easily grab some folks with a $25 data plan and free VOIP being included. Add in the ability to buy and finance an iPhone with a lower priced plan and they could grab some serious share.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

A few points in Tmobile's favor here.

First, Tmobile doesn't lock down their network nor even try to heavily modify their phones to use their own services. That would help them lure Apple.

Second, Tmobile tends to be very good about compensating for their network. They have no problem applying VOIP calling within certain plans.

Third and final point, people don't mind the network being a bit spotty when they pay a reasonable dollar. They really mind it when they pay top dollar though.

AT&T demands a $30 data plan even if you live in areas with no 3G. They don't allow you to hook up a used iPhone without a two year contract. In short they are ridiculous and Tmobile could easily grab some folks with a $25 data plan and free VOIP being included. Add in the ability to buy and finance an iPhone with a lower priced plan and they could grab some serious share.

T-Mobile doesn't lock down their stuff in the US because they can't --- they are too small in size and their network is full of cheap customers.

T-Mobile in Germany --- being part of Germany's incumbant landline giant, is a million times worst in locking stuff down --- because they can.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechieFromTex View Post

Just a quick note here: the iDon't ads are Motorola's not Verizon's. Verizon may accept them as Motorola's right to advertise their product, but not represent Verizon's ideas about the iPhone.

Actually, this is an interesting point of confusion. The ads seem to be by Verizon. It's true that this is a Motorola handset, but Verizon appears to be pumping money into promoting it. Or it could be a situation of cooperative advertising. But if the consumer is confused about who is paying for the ad, then it opens a door to potential legal action.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechieFromTex View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by -cj- View Post

Actually, this is an interesting point of confusion. The ads seem to be by Verizon. It's true that this is a Motorola handset, but Verizon appears to be pumping money into promoting it. Or it could be a situation of cooperative advertising. But if the consumer is confused about who is paying for the ad, then it opens a door to potential legal action.

Interesting. It seemed like they were Verizon ads promoting the then unreleased Droid.