The Apple Sage's predictions

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Found this on spymac, but before you all jump at the credibility of the site, I wrote this sage guy a mail and it appears that he is not connected with the site at all except through his weekly column:

Ask the Sage: additional notes for this week's column. (Posted Jan 21, 2002 @ 9:51 P.M)

Many people have been asking about feature sets of the next G4 machine and the upcoming G5, So here we go.:

1) Enclosure-The next G4 revision will not include a new enclosure,

however, if Steve decide that it is appropriate to do so, it has been

suggested that the enclosure will differ greatly from the one intended to house the G5. Much in the same way the Blue and White G3 did in comparison to the Graphite G4 we all know and love.

2)Gigawire-Gigawire is the progressional development of firewire. The development has reach 1.6Gbps although 800Mbps have been tested. It will likely not make the cut until we see the PMG5 UMA which will come with the G5.

3)USB 2-We will not see USB 2 until the implementation of Gigawire. Since there are devices on the market using it, it should be coming soon, but not until the PMG5 UMA. Matter of fact, I would predict the first or second revision of the PMG5 UMA.

4)DDR-DDR is coming, and soon. It wouldn't surprise me to see it with the speed bump, but again, I must put is off until the new PMG5 UMA.

5)Graphics-The Graphics will not likely change that much until the second revision of the PMG5 UMA. The AGP slot will stay at 4X although the Graphics card may change slightly.

Finally, it is being discussed whether or not to procure G5 processors from IBM. However, Apple has a specific path that they want to follow, so until the chips are widely implemented, IBM will not be a big supplier of G5 processors. However, Sources at IBM have said they will start putting them in servers soon. We shall see soon.

-Apple Sage

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Keyword- SpyMac.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>Keyword- SpyMac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You guys are funny.. . I wanted to actually discuss the possibility of the above, without using the Spymac forums. (I like the way they look but there are some strange folk there.)
  • Reply 3 of 22
    There's nothing there that sounds that unrealistic. I think Apple might hype some radial new PowerMac a little more than what we have. No Special Apple Event, no nothing.

Speed increase make the most sense with the new iMacs...
  • Reply 3 of 22

Oh, okay. Then we should discuss the plethora of information AI is providing us.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I was thinking the same thing. Although I guess many of you want "quality, not quantity" when it comes to rumors, it is not fun when the only site that updates is Spymac. Think Secret is good, but their rumors sound too much like news

Don't tell me that Spymac posts so much because they make up their information.. a rumor is a rumor regardless of who starts it
  • Reply 6 of 22
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights:

<strong>

Oh, okay. Then we should discuss the plethora of information AI is providing us.</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL
  • Reply 7 of 22
    But back to the above, can someone please tell me if USB 2 has any advantage over firewire? Would there be any reason to have USB 2 and firewire on a system? Would the keyboards etc connect via USB 2? Doesn't that seem like overkill just to run a small KB?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by CharlieBrownGirl:

<strong>But back to the above, can someone please tell me if USB 2 has any advantage over firewire? Would there be any reason to have USB 2 and firewire on a system? Would the keyboards etc connect via USB 2? Doesn't that seem like overkill just to run a small KB?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple was first to adopt the USB for it's general connects it would make little sense not to adopt it's successor. Gigawire would still be the high speed digital connect of choice, but both should be available.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights:

<strong>

Oh, okay. Then we should discuss the plethora of information AI is providing us.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, Ok, then we should talk about the iWalk instead.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    USB 2.0 doesn't have many advantages over Firewire other than it's backwards compatible with USB 1.0 devices...
  • Reply 11 of 22
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    As I said, the sage person is just recycling widely discussed rumors while leaving them open enough to be mutated into something that will actually happen so Spymac can say they predicted something.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Is firewire 2 faster than usb 2? Or is that info not known yet?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by Majuki:

<strong>As I said, the sage person is just recycling widely discussed rumors while leaving them open enough to be mutated into something that will actually happen so Spymac can say they predicted something.</strong><hr></blockquote>

well if stuff does come out tomorrow, they would be right on a big thing. They were the first to state the 22 date and other stuff.
  • Reply 14 of 22

<strong>Is firewire 2 faster than usb 2? Or is that info not known yet?</strong><hr></blockquote>

USB 2 is in the speed neighborhood of firewire 1... ~400 Mb/s. Firewire 2 blows way past this at 800 Mb/s and the potential for 3+ Gb/s.
  • Reply 15 of 22

<strong>Is firewire 2 faster than usb 2? Or is that info not known yet?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think USB2 will be as fast as Firewire 1.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Ok thanks. For some reason I thought I read that USB 2 would be faster than fw
  • Reply 17 of 22
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member

<strong>

I don't think USB2 will be as fast as Firewire 1.</strong><hr></blockquote>

the theoretical max of USB 2.0 is 480Mb/s But in use people get much lower speeds esp when USB 1.1 (12Mb/s) and USB 1.0(1.5 Mb/s (I think)) devices are on the same controller.

Firewire 1 is 400Mb/s

Firewire 2 is 800Mb/s
  • Reply 18 of 22
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    That "Sage" is not particularly sagacious.

Spymac, and he, claim to have extra-special information:

[quote]

The column, released every Monday and written by a mysteriously wise man known only as the Apple Sage, will feature more than just rumors and more than just speculations. With impeccable inside sources and an extensive array of industry knowledge, the Apple Sage will become a legendary source of what the future holds for a computer company that continues to think different...

<hr></blockquote>

and

[quote]

I am all knowing and all seeing as to what is and is not Apple... What I do have to offer is the current status of products at Apple that are either in development or about to be released.

<hr></blockquote>

However, what he offers is wide-open speculation, in the form of "it will be A, or else B, with the possibility of C seeming likely":

[quote]

However, a few questions remain: when and where will it be released and what will it consist of? The when and where are first. Our options seem to be an Apple Event between now and March, MacWorld Tokyo, or Seybold. While an Apple event would be nice, it would steal the thunder of the New iMac, MacWorld Tokyo is out, simply because that event is meant for compact consumer devices. Seybold seems the most likely, because Apple loves to flex their muscle around high-end production types.

<hr></blockquote>

Wow, thanks for that "scoop."
  • Reply 19 of 22
    [quote]1) Enclosure-The next G4 revision will not include a new enclosure, however, if Steve decide that it is appropriate to do so, it has been suggested that the enclosure will differ greatly from the one intended to house the G5.<hr></blockquote>

In plain English, the next G4s will not have a new enclosure, unless they do.

• Reply 20 of 22
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member

Keyword- KidRed.

Why would <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001075"; target="_blank">your story</a> be any more credible than <a href="http://www.spymac.com/"; target="_blank">SpyMac's speculation</a>?!? :confused:

Escher