Comcast's NBC deal could be roadblock for Apple's subscription hopes

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skittlebrau79 View Post

Like I said above, nobody has made a profit off their online streaming business. Explain how Apple could make a profit by producing a show at a cost of $1.2 million per episode (average cost for a 1 hour drama) and then offer it for free online? Even Hulu, which sells ad space, doesn't make enough money to pay for a single TV show--last year its profits were estimated at less than $20 million, which isn't enough to pay for a single season of 24 or Heroes.

You seem to be providing conflicting statements here. You said that "nobody has made a profit off their online streaming business" and then you go on to say that Hulu made a profit of less than $20 million. They both can't be right.

Also I have to ask why would a show produced by Apple would have to cost $1.2 million an episode or whatever insane price popular TV shows go for these days? I have seen people throw something together in iMovie that has better plot, acting, and quality than something that was done by these "TV professionals".
  • Reply 62 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Apple is the least of my concerns. This Merger would be the beginning of the end of much of what we love about the Internet. Comcast must be stopped.

Anti-Merger site:

http://freepress.net/comcast

Taken from the site you just linked "

They?ll suffocate online TV like Netflix, Miro and iTunes."

see, it's this kind of stuff that keeps flash from iPhones or DVR from Apple TV.

Wht bother offering free ABC LOST, example, all series, when they can get you to pay for $1.99 or $2.99 at iTunes. I'm just glad bittorents are alive and doing well. That way no one person can stop it and I dint forsee DVRs going away anytime soon.

Peace.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    [QUOTE=monstrosity;1530951]"destroyed the music business," they did a fine job of destroying their own business without the help of Apple.

Such ungrateful fools![/QUOTE

yes. The business. Not sales for consumers. I worked at a label for 10 years. The labels had their chance and blew it. As an artist too. Most are doing their own recordings now which by the way is why we need stronger, upgradable mid range and not iMacs and mac pros.

Anyway. Am I reading this wrong. As is. You can go to abC and watch lost with 15 sec commercials watching almost all the seasons. On the iPhone n flash means you can't. On the apple tv no dvr means no record, that's like the dark ages. Anyway would this deal, if it worked pit allthose shows on for one price. As is is now you have free HD at ABC or $1.99-$2.99 PER EPISODE.

Can some explains. In a way I can see maybe, why tv and companies like Hearst wants Aple as far away as that means Apple hardware only and limited at that.

Thanks for any explanation.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Well, Hulu has a big lead on free content streaming -- Apple is WAY late to the game, and it seems Apple does not plan any free content. Go Hulu! Choice is good.

Hulu used to be cool. Now all the shows thatvare on cable and networks are shows that are on the networks sites. Far cry from hili of several years ago. Peace.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

They changed their name when they started showing less and less sci fi shows (like showing professional wrestling). One day they'll be like MTV not playing music anymore.

I though it was kinda obvious. If everyone gets their content over the internet they can cancel their $100/month cable service. If Comcast can keep popular channels like NBC, USA, and SyFy hard to access via the internet (ie, no subscriptions), then people will need to keep their cable subscriptions.

Nah. If the shows not on. Bittorents. Problem solved and no commicials. Lol. P