Apple sold estimated 60,000 iPhones in South Korean launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

To say 'westerners' is too broad a sweep. This is a peculiarly US usage of the word.

For the rest of the world (at least, the places to which I've traveled), 'Asia' means what it actually is on a map: Just about everything from the Middle East all the way to Papua New Guinea.

My anecdotal observations are quite different, but being an American I have to consider that people were talking to me from an American PoV for my benefit.

Hell, even the term ?Western? is ambiguous in and of itself. I tend to use it specifically to define people and their cultures derived from the Western Roman Empire and their base form of government.

PS: I hate that the term Oriental is considered derogatory when the term?s origins and etymology are from offensive and quite intriguing.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: I hate that the term Oriental ....

You occidentals all look alike!
  • Reply 23 of 47
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

PS: Westerners don?t consider Indians or Middle Easterns as Asians. You can test this sometime.

That's certainly not true in Britain. In fact, the very opposite is true. The term Asian usually refers to someone from the Indian sub-continent in the UK.

I don't know about the rest of western Europe. I guess it all depends on the size of the immigrant communities.

Whilst on the subject, does anyone know how well the iPhone is doing in India?
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You occidentals all look alike!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

That's certainly not true in Britain. In fact, the very opposite is true. The term Asian usually refers to someone from the Indian sub-continent in the UK.

I edited my post script to refer specifically to my observations of American Westerners.

Quote:

Whilst on the subject, does anyone know how well the iPhone is doing in India?

I would image it being quite bad. My stay in the country prior to the iPhone arriving had Nokia phones upwards of $900 USD at one Nokia store I visited but I don?t think I ever saw anyone using a decent phone that wasn?t had outside the country.

If you look at Indian?s network there is hardly any areas with 3GSM so EDGE is the best data you could find. I?d say it would be better to have an iPod Touch and simple pro-paid phone.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Israel reportedly has one of the highest global mobile phone penetration rates, at 125 percent. An estimated 80,000 unlocked iPhones already exist in the country.

Wow, people in Isreal must really like their phones for it to have over 100 percent penetration.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Wow, people in Isreal must really like their phones for it to have over 100 percent penetration.

It?s really has to do with other factors. I?d guess that Isreal didn?t have the extensive landline infrastructure that the US and other nations had so that when cellular infrastrusture came along it became a cheap alternative.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Australia also has over 100% penetration, almost everyone has a mobile or more than one, work and personal for instance.

There is still plenty of growth for Apple all the two year contracts for the 3G will start ending in July next year, I can't see a lot of people switching, especially those who have come to rely on all their Apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

• Reply 28 of 47
    (edit: too emotional a response, retracted and edited my subsequent responses)
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Don't want to sound ethnocentric, but something really is amiss, afoot, alas.

Here it is Apple has, a by every stretch of the imagination, a 'winning' product and it has taken almost 3 years to open up the Asian markets (a little less for the EU market) and yet they have been selling tons of 'crap' products (via Walmart) to us for decades!

The iPhone just high lights the disparity in a so-called 'free global market.'

Oh well.

EDIT: Before Solipsism corrects me, I guess it is naive of me to think it is a 'free' global Market!

iPhones have been in Asia for many, many years. It's taken time of officially open up the markets but the grey/import market has been around so there's your free trade at work. Xbox360's are widely available even though officially they're not sold in many countries.

On one hand you've got big corporations in the US going all out importing all sorts of crap into the US. On the other hand you've got nonsense bureaucracies in Asia so all sorts of US crap (ironically made in Asia anyways) goes in grey market into Asia.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Isn't Hong Kong in Asia?

Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan.

I'd heard Geography wasn't America's strongpoint but i've never come across it first hand.

It's extremely shocking to see it in this article. I swear Americans are better at this kind of stuff than the writer of this article. BTW, besides the countries you listed India is also considered Asia.

"One successful Asian debut" - absolute rubbish.

Apple has had several successful formal Asian debuts, and informal introductions through the grey market.

AppleInsider please correct or clarify your article as soon as possible. I suggest the wording be "...giving Apple one *RECENT* successful Asian debut".
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:

Geographically, sure. I have no doubt that Christopher126 knows that, but it was under British Rule for some 150 years only returning back to China a decade or so ago. When I think of Asia and the Asian people I don’t think of Hong Kong and it’s strong ties to the West. I wouldn’t slight anyone for that unless it was specifically regarding where Hong Kong was located.

PS: {It seems to me that American] Westerners don’t consider Indians or Middle Easterns as Asians. You can test this sometime.

Guys in modern international, economic, geographical, political and journalistic terms, Asia means China, India, Hong Kong, South East Asia, Japan, Korea. It's pretty simple.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

I was in South Korea for three weeks in the spring of 2008. Whenever I pulled out my iPhone, a crowd would gather around and people would ask for a demo. I found that interesting because I had heard that Korea produced such advanced mobile phones.

But it was clear that the iPhone went way beyond what Koreans were used to using and they were clearly interested in the technology.

Just like anywhere in the world, Apple takes technology and makes magic out of it. This appeals to a wide range of humanity as a whole, I think.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'm surprised it did that well in Korea since they are a tech mecca more so than China.

The iPhone hardware is like 90% Samsung anyway. Even after Apple switches to a PA Semi processor, it needs to be made in someones fab. If it's not Intel, it will probably be Samsung.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
  • Reply 35 of 47
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

We interrupt this program to give you a geography lesson. Gag.

These Brits and what-have-you actually think they are so much more superior than any American yet they move here and buy all our products- especially Apple products. Such hypocrisy.

Someone was actually banned for writing that response? Please tell me I've misunderstood the situation.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

Someone was actually banned for writing that response? Please tell me I've misunderstood the situation.

Best thing to do is to take it up with the mods, off the forums. That individual was a repeat offender and has been dealt with accordingly.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

Why do you think it was that response that got him banned?
  • Reply 38 of 47
    I don't understand how when Apple sells 60000 it is a huge success but when palm debuts in the U.S. with 90000 or the Droid debuts with 110000 those phones are failures. Sometimes this website contradicts itself. Just my opinion. My friend Penn was one of those 60000 purchasers! Go penn!
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

I don't understand how when Apple sells 60000 it is a huge success but when palm debuts in the U.S. with 90000 or the Droid debuts with 110000 those phones are failures. Sometimes this website contradicts itself. Just my opinion. My friend Penn was one of those 60000 purchasers! Go penn!

If we are just looking at Apple’s financials then Korea’s 60K isn’t nearly as good as the 700K for the original iPhone launch weekend, but we have to consider other factors at play. Apple has captured 15% of the S. Korean smartphone since launch while they have yet to do that in any other country I am aware of. I think they have more than 15% of AT&T’s smartphone market, maybe even their handset market, but they don’t have those figures for the whole of the US. Here are some other numbers that show the vast differences in country size.
    US population: ~308M

S. Korean Population: ~48M

US mobile subscribers: ~277M

S.Koreans mobile subscribers: ~44M

US smartphone customers: More than 10M?

S. Korean smartphone customers: ~300K (prior to iPhone launch)
    Let’s not forget that Apple is an American company doing business in S. Korea where they apparently have "such advanced tech that Apple is woefully behind in every way.”
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

Consider the context of that 60,000.