Apple reportedly spent $80 million to acquire Lala

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Lala had an iPhone App it was going to release, which in itself will rob Apple millions of potential customers. Free music, and then $.10 for a track. That is like highway robbery for iTunes.

So buy the suckers, act like you want to do anything with it for a few months, then shut it down.

$80 million is nothing compared to what Apple stand s to lose because of them.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Lala had an iPhone App it was going to release, which in itself will rob Apple millions of potential customers. Free music, and then $.10 for a track. That is like highway robbery for iTunes.

So buy the suckers, act like you want to do anything with it for a few months, then shut it down.

Again, according to reports, LaLa approached Apple, not the other way around.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Using someone else's code is not just like a piece of LEGO that fits anywhere. I think writing completely new code for the iTunes system is probably a better alternative in the long run. But who is better to write it than someone who already developed a working method? Maybe a year from now there'll be a working system. Then two years from now the first labels are signed on the deal...

But the remarkable part is:

Quote:

Lala had reportedly actively sought out Apple after its executives concluded that prospects for turning a profit in the short term were relatively slim.

Maybe Lala is acquired for having the best sales pitch ever, and is gonna take over Steve Jobs role as a keynote guru? I mean seeking out Apple and convincing them to buy your company for a not so shabby amount is an astonishing achievement in itself.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

I can kind of see where you are going with the grassy knoll here, but then explaining the much advertised Rhapsody app supports the single shooter theory does it not?
  • Reply 25 of 25
    As far as what Apple stands to gain from the Lala purchase, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lala's top hit in Google search results for nearly any song title imaginable.

The default option is to play via Lala, you also have options to stream via Pandora, Rhapsody, and iLike, the glaringly obvious omission being iTunes, and Amazon as they have no streaming services.

I think this is an incredibly smart play, as Apple saw the music market passing it by, as Google search results leave it out completely. $80 at that point almost seems trivial for the "advertising" this type of search results would bring, let alone ensuring that Apple, and iTunes remain relevant.