Apple preparing first betas of Mac OS X 10.6.3

Comments

• Reply 41 of 97
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Bootcamp was promised to support Windows 7 by years end. Would they have that out within the next few weeks?

USB 3.0 support would be nice to have in one of these minor releases. Products are already coming onto the market using this new tech.
  • Reply 42 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

A cosmetic change but personally one I could care less about. I don't read documents in Expose. I just glance at the one I want and click it.

You still seem to know which is the stickie and which is the browser without any issue. If you don't like it, put a suggestion on the Apple site and move on.

Yeah, I get your sentiment. When everyone was bitching about the transparency of the menu bar with 10.5, I felt similarly.

But losing the ability to discriminate between open windows isn't a cosmetic change, it's a loss of functionality. (Yes, as you pointed out in such a dismissive way, I can differentiate between a stickie and a browser window, but in 10.5 I could differentiate between one stickie note and another, and could pick the Safari window I wanted; now they all blend together.)

And thanks for your uninspired referral to the Apple site, but I submitted my suggestion to Apple on day 1.
  • Reply 43 of 97
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    A couple quickies...

I'd like to be able to easily send large emails right from the comfort of Mail. Secondly, I'd like to be able to send encrypted emails that the recipient could open with a password.

Resolution independence would be nice with this huge monitor.
  • Reply 44 of 97
    I think I'm the only person who is NOT happy with snow leopard. My laptop is slow as hell thanks to it.

And I hate the way expose come on automatically when I hover a file over the dock.

Generally quite irritating.
  • Reply 45 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I think I'm the only person who is NOT happy with snow leopard. My laptop is slow as hell thanks to it.

And I hate the way expose come on automatically when I hover a file over the dock.

It's interesting how people find so different things good and irritating. I don't see the Exposé activation when hovering a file over the dock as a problem at all. But. I fully agree Apple should give us a little more options ? both hardware and software wise. i think it is fully possible to extend the options a little without making things too bloated.

About the speed of your laptop ? did you do an upgrade from previous OS X version?

I upgraded from 10.5 and also think my machine is a little slow, but only when it comes to opening apps. People say a clean install will help.
  • Reply 46 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a Martin View Post

It's interesting how people find so different things good and irritating. I don't see the Exposé activation when hovering a file over the dock as a problem at all. But. I fully agree Apple should give us a little more options – both hardware and software wise. i think it is fully possible to extend the options a little without making things too bloated.

About the speed of your laptop – did you do an upgrade from previous OS X version?

I upgraded from 10.5 and also think my machine is a little slow, but only when it comes to opening apps. People say a clean install will help.

Yeah it was an upgrade. If I did a clean instal it would take me over a week to get my mac set up the way I like it, install all the app's (153 to be precise) etc. So I think I'm just gonna wait for the next generation of laptops which I'm guessing will be in the spring, then just buy another.

In the meantime if I can find a way to turn off that stupid Exposé, that would keep me happy.
  • Reply 47 of 97
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    X.7 is being designed to work on machines with slow processors.

So it should be named after some little agile and lively feline creature.
  • Reply 48 of 97
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinglen View Post

Yeah, I get your sentiment. When everyone was bitching about the transparency of the menu bar with 10.5, I felt similarly.

But losing the ability to discriminate between open windows isn't a cosmetic change, it's a loss of functionality. (Yes, as you pointed out in such a dismissive way, I can differentiate between a stickie and a browser window, but in 10.5 I could differentiate between one stickie note and another, and could pick the Safari window I wanted; now they all blend together.)

And thanks for your uninspired referral to the Apple site, but I submitted my suggestion to Apple on day 1.

I find it interesting that you say you lost the ability to read them? My stickes stay exactly the same size as they exist on screen, although I don't use that app. I use a the K-Notes widget in Dashboard so I don't have to look at notes on my desktop all day. Given that Expose isn't designed to do serious reading, but rather is designed for the simple task of picking a window from a batch of windows, it functions just fine. I've never had a problem determining which windows was the correct one within a second. You could always just use Command+Tab as well.

Some folks just don't handle change well I suppose.
  • Reply 49 of 97
    Quote:

hi there!

i had some problems with snowy myself, but managed to resolve them (or at least most of it) by a quick look on the Console. i saw that most of the error /warning messages came from safari, specially from SIMBL plugin manager. so i went to their page and updated it for the Snowy version. also, i cleand my left-over folders in library/app support for plugins such as ad blocker & safariblock that conflicted on ad blocking and cleared on prefrences the overlaping features of safariblock and clicktoflash on flash frames. every time one of these issues appeared, (a flash to block, a ad to block) safari had a warning message that he had "doubts" on which plugin applied.

Check you console and update your safari plugins managers and clean your library folder. i found out that it made a hell of a difference. i managed to stop all of the beach balls and hangs by updating Simbl. now managed to get old Mac OS speed and responsiveness again.
  • Reply 50 of 97
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:

all you need to do to witness the atrocity that is 10.6's Exposé is open a three new "stickies" (shrink them down to the collapse view for fun) and a single Safari window. Now activate Exposé and tell me why a tiny stickie note deserves as much horizontal space as an entire web browser window ... or, more precisely, why each single stickie has to take up essentially the same room as a browser window. pre 10.6, Exposé arranged things in a sensible manner, but now sensible has been taken over by "putting everything in a straight row."

Exposé used to be the feature i showed PC users with pride and pity; now it's almost completely unusable.

Absolutely agree. This is what happens when you change things for the sake of change alone. You take a good thing and fuck it up from any point of view.

The neon blue highlighting also looks totally out of theme (esp. if you use graphite system theme and your highlighting color preference is totally ignored).
  • Reply 51 of 97
    Quote:

Any word on a magic mouse driver for Windows 7/Boot Camp? Irritating that I have to switch mice when working in Windows.

Maybe this will help from Gizmodo

Magic Mouse Drivers for Windows Now Available

http://gizmodo.com/5409942/magic-mou...-now-available
  • Reply 52 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Maybe this will help from Gizmodo

Magic Mouse Drivers for Windows Now Available

http://gizmodo.com/5409942/magic-mou...-now-available

Excellent Thanks Mucho..I'll try them out after work today.
  • Reply 53 of 97
    Quote:

all you need to do to witness the atrocity that is 10.6's Exposé is open a three new "stickies" (shrink them down to the collapse view for fun) and a single Safari window. Now activate Exposé and tell me why a tiny stickie note deserves as much horizontal space as an entire web browser window ... or, more precisely, why each single stickie has to take up essentially the same room as a browser window. pre 10.6, Exposé arranged things in a sensible manner, but now sensible has been taken over by "putting everything in a straight row."

Exposé used to be the feature i showed PC users with pride and pity; now it's almost completely unusable.

Stickies? You're kidding, right?! That's still around?

I'd blame Stickies for the problem, not Exposé. Although, I see your point.

Solution: Make Stickies act like ONE window, with a transparent background and moveable "note objects". You could even have separate "pages" assigned to different tasks or Spaces. Now all I need to do is learn Objective-C and get a job with Apple.

For me, the Exposé F9/F10 rewrite is fantastic. It used to be a mess. Especially running a dozen applications, with tons of Finder windows open. Now, things are easier to find. Personally, I'd like the option of placing the Exposé window label text on top of each window, rather than below, but I think I can live with it.
  • Reply 54 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I like the labels in the new Expose, but unfortunately they're necessary.

The whole shrinking large windows and expanding small ones was a really dumb move. Now I have to waste time reading the label on every Finder window instead of looking quickly for the one with the right size and shape.

But some neat freak at Apple who's more interested in how pretty his/her computer looks than how efficiently one can use it, decided that Expose wasn't tidy enough.

We shouldn't be surprised though. After all this is the company that thinks huge aluminum towers weighing close to 60 lb should take up gobs of space on people's desks so they can be admired instead of sitting solidly on the floor where they belong. For better or worse form always wins out over function at Apple.

I hadn't really looked too hard at Exposé in 10.6, but you have a point about it forcing every window to a uniform size/shape.. We should send in suggestions to Apple. If enough do it, maybe they'll add a preference for it. Uniform Sized Windows/Proportional Windows. Proportional shrinking makes most sense to me, visually. Plus, it would solve Mr. Stickies problem, too.

As for the MacPro issue, it IS a workstation, not really a classic desktop machine.

I think it's too big, but who am I to question Apple.

Give us a Half-MacPro and we'll all shut up, right.
  • Reply 55 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

I hadn't really looked too hard at Exposé in 10.6, but you have a point about it forcing every window to a uniform size/shape.. We should send in suggestions to Apple. If enough do it, maybe they'll add a preference for it. Uniform Sized Windows/Proportional Windows. Proportional shrinking makes most sense to me, visually. Plus, it would solve Mr. Stickies problem, too.

As for the MacPro issue, it IS a workstation, not really a classic desktop machine.

I think it's too big, but who am I to question Apple.

Give us a Half-MacPro and we'll all shut up, right.

My windows retain their shape however they are scaled as space allows. I'm curious why folks keep indicating the shape is changing?
  • Reply 56 of 97
    Quote:

Yeah it was an upgrade. If I did a clean instal it would take me over a week to get my mac set up the way I like it, install all the app's (153 to be precise) etc. So I think I'm just gonna wait for the next generation of laptops which I'm guessing will be in the spring, then just buy another.

In the meantime if I can find a way to turn off that stupid Exposé, that would keep me happy.

A week to do a clean install? How would you do it to take so long?

I did it clean from 10.5 to 10.6 and it took maybe 6 hours total, including cloning my MacBook Pro's 200GB hard drive. Yes, I had to do a little tweaking here and there over the next few days, but that's no biggie, since I constantly tweak anyway. Snow Leopard WAS a little more finicky than ANY other version of OS X, I must say.

Clean install routine (omitting reboots):

Run Cocktail

Run Disk Warrior

Run SuperDuper! to clone hard drive.

Run Snow Leopard

Let Migration Assistant do it's thing.
  • Reply 57 of 97
    Quote:

A week to do a clean install? How would you do it to take so long?

I did it clean from 10.5 to 10.6 and it took maybe 6 hours total, including cloning my MacBook Pro's 200GB hard drive. Yes, I had to do a little tweaking here and there over the next few days, but that's no biggie, since I constantly tweak anyway. Snow Leopard WAS a little more finicky than ANY other version of OS X, I must say.

Clean install routine (omitting reboots):

Run Cocktail

Run Disk Warrior

Run SuperDuper! to clone hard drive.

Run Snow Leopard

Let Migration Assistant do it's thing.

I had the same question. I thought it was rather odd. Installing most apps just involves copying them to your apps folder. I did mine manually however. I didn't use migration assistant. I typically just backup my User folder which contains DMG's for all of my installable applications. To reinstall, I just open the dmg and install the app after restoring my data. Takes maybe 3 hours for a long list of apps (including the OS X install).
  • Reply 58 of 97
    Quote:

My windows retain their shape however they are scaled as space allows. I'm curious why folks keep indicating the shape is changing?

Actually, they are gently forced into a more or less uniform size and shape. I notice some getting smooshed or stretched a bit to fit the convention.
  • Reply 59 of 97
    Quote:

I had the same question. I thought it was rather odd. Installing most apps just involves copying them to your apps folder. I did mine manually however. I didn't use migration assistant. I typically just backup my User folder which contains DMG's for all of my installable applications. To reinstall, I just open the dmg and install the app after restoring my data. Takes maybe 3 hours for a long list of apps (including the OS X install).

I used to do it manually and it was a total pain, invariably things break and it just takes a LONG time. In the space of a few hours Migration Assistant does ALL that work and, I believe, attempts to relink applications to supporting files and folders.

It's well worth cloning your hard drive and running it. I just got a 1TB LaCie quad interface hard drive for $139. I partition it and try to clone my hard drive once a week. Just in case. I can also boot with the cloned drive if I need to.
  • Reply 60 of 97
    Quote:

Actually, they are gently forced into a more or less uniform size and shape. I notice some getting smooshed or stretched a bit to fit the convention.

I just double checked with a few stickies. They retained their exact shape. This is on a 27" iMac, so I don't know if screen size is a factor, but all of my windows are retaining their exact shape, they are simply scaled smaller if they go beyond a certain size. I don't see any of them being scaled up in size.