Safari retains speed crown over newcomer Chrome in OS X

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I was a little surprised at how well firefox did. I should say that I'm using a Quad I7 with 8GB though

Firefox's plugins make it a very tough competitor all else aside. I put it on family PC's due to the WOT plugin, adblock+, and Better Privacy.

Running the test in Windows was about the same. Chrome was actually better. Safari was bad. For Firefox, I only tested Minefield. Hard to tell what the scrolling was actually like as Windows 7 RC does not allow my bluetooth Apple mouse to function properly in BootCamp. If I actually had the money for an iMac with i7 and 8 Gigs, I'd probably go Alienware.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This test wasn?t with WebKit but with the JS engines each browser uses. Safari and default builds of WebKit use the Nitro JS engine while Google decided to go with their own V8 JS engine for Chrome.

Aren't they both integrated back into WebKit eventually? Oh well, thought so.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Aren't they both integrated back into WebKit eventually? Oh well, thought so.

I suppose it depends on how you define integrated. You can turn off JS in Safari and other browsers, not sure about Chrome, and see that SunSpider won?t run even though the basic page loads fine.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Yet you click on the search field? It's still a click one way or the other. Defaulting to a web search page just puts the cursor in the search field and you start typing.

Well, no. when I open a web browser, it is a blank page with the cursor in the URL field. If the first thing I need to do is google something (rarely), then I just hit the tab key and then keep on hitting the other keys (typing) ending by hitting the return key.

To each his own.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    I?ll give Chrome a chance even though I?m a Safari fan. If you want to read experience with Chrome so far or you also want to give it a try you can download Chrome from my here
  • Reply 66 of 69
    For those of us who tinker with Linux, Chrome is good. I was able to add Chrome to Linux Mint without much trouble. In both Windows and Mac OS, I have VirtualBox running with 384 Meg of RAM assigned to Linux Mint. Chrome works okay.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    The speed difference is so small it's irrelevant. Meanwhile, Chrome already has 500 free extensions (soon for Mac too) while Safari lollygags along with *cough* none. The only REAL competition for Chrome is Firefox.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

The speed difference is so small it's irrelevant. Meanwhile, Chrome already has 500 free extensions (soon for Mac too) while Safari lollygags along with *cough* none. The only REAL competition for Chrome is Firefox.

How popular are extensions for the average user? I use Safari on Mac and IE8 on WIn7 with the Chrome browser engine inside IE. I like the integration that each built-in browser has, as well as the power savings when using battery.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

I use Firebug and other Dev Tool extensions for Firefox. It's built-in to Safari so I don't need them. It's built-into Opera so I don't need them.

I don't use Sidebar extensions for RSS, Twitter, Dictionary [built-in to Safari] or other Social Dweeb Networking crap, extensions for every F'n blog site, etc. I don't need a color extension, I don't need a photo extension, blog upload extension, etc.

I want a browser that complies with CSS3, SVG1.1, WebGL, MathML, CSS2/2.1, HTML5, XHTML1.1, XML1.1, XPath, XForms, etc.

Get it?

I want the Interface to do stateless/state behavior via WebServices to actually be transparent across browsers and platforms.

That's it!