Apple offers free taste of iTunes LP format with 'Holiday Sampler'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by teckstud: But Apple is giving away something free which never happens- so you do the math.

Gee, it's not like they give away free tracks every week.

(Hint: they do.)
  • Reply 22 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

I hope this works better on a computer - I downloaded this last night and played with it this morning on my AppleTV and it was a bit of a dog navigating through the different portions.

I?m having issues clicking through the LP with a mouse on a modern Mac. There is something wonky going on.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Dr. Seuss would fit your level of reading comprehension, yes.

I just looked it up.

grinch

noun informal

a person who is mean-spirited and unfriendly.

My apologies. To the real Grinch.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Gee, it's not like they give away free tracks every week.

(Hint: they do.)

Starbucks does.

And those other tracks are free because who would buy them? SO yes you are correct. Apple has previously given away free dreck available on iTunes. But is it from Apple or the artist, label, etc? This is different.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Quote:

Apple doesn't divulge that kind of line by line information- may prove too embarassing. But Apple is giving away something free which never happens- so you do the math.

Not true, iTunes has free items every week. This is just the first time they release an LP item for free.

Btw, they even have a section in the iTunes Store for such items `Free on iTunes`:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...fcId=328879919
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

I have done this with the Japan store. Just know that it requires an additional iTunes account (tied to a different email address than any existing accounts you may have) as well as an address local to the account's country - but you can simply look up a business address (or that of a friend) and use it...

I believe any US address works.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I just looked it up.

grinch

noun [COLOR="grey"]informal[/COLOR]

a person who is mean-spirited and unfriendly.

My apologies. To the real Grinch.

If you have to look up the Grinch then I feel for you. I thought he was green. Did you go to the right source? Do you know how to use Bing or Google?
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeYYY View Post

Not true, iTunes has free items every week. This is just the first time they release an LP item for free.

Actually, they gave away the 'iTunes New Music Sampler' album (not in this new LP format, however), as well as various pilot episodes for TV shows.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Quote:

Actually, they gave away the 'iTunes New Music Sampler' album (not in this new LP format, however), as well as various pilot episodes for TV shows.

And exactlly how do you know it's not the artist or the label or the TV studio that's not offering those for free as opposed to Apple?
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by teckstud: Starbucks does.

and later...

Quote:

And those other tracks are free because who would buy them? SO yes you are correct.

Nice revisionism.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:

and later...

Nice revisionism.

But you forgot

Quote:

And exactlly how do you know it's not the artist or the label or the TV studio that's not offering those for free as opposed to Apple?

Nice ommission.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:

By your same assumptions, how do you know this LP isn't from the various artists or studios on it?
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

By your same assumptions, how do you know this LP isn't from the various artists or studios on it?

Don't bother.

Forum Troll is trolling.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    For someone who hates Christmas music, but has to put something on stereo when the family comes, this solves a big problem. For free?

Well, okay.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Good idea, extremely lame music.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Good idea, Apple. I downloaded it and now I have a feel for what these things are about.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Good idea, extremely lame music.

Hey, it's Christmas music -- lame pretty much by definition. I'll settle for not totally offensive and annoying.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

In order for it to be free, the label must give up its cut of the sale price, and Apple has to give up its cut also. What's your point?
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

In order for it to be free, the label must give up its cut of the sale price, and Apple has to give up its cut also. What's your point?

Tell the truth. You really don't care.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Hey I might be persuaded to buy one of the nine LP's available in the Australian iTunes store if I could try a sampler like this first...

...oh well, back to basking in ignorance unless my Uncle Torrence can get it for me as a Christmas gift.