Apple beat Google to Lala deal after failed bid for AdMob - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

AdMob provides advertising in applications, notably iPhone Apps. AdMob can tell what applications sell, how often they are used, where people are using them... everything. That gives them a lot of insight into Apple's AppStore business.

With Google having this information, they can figure out how to best use resources on developing new apps, and marketing them.

Right. But getting a window into how and where apps are being used and what's selling doesn't strike me as three quarter of a billion dollars worth of intel.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They can barely get their core (in)competency right, never mind other markets.

Microsoft is starting to get it's core competency right!

Why just the other night I saw one of those entertainment news shows starring Mario Lopez (Saved By The Bell) and co-host (whoever she was) use Microsoft's "Surface" table and they had a vertical tv camera hanging over top the table looking down to show the female cohost drag a photo of some woman who was going to be their next segment and she did so using her, now get this, fingers and she even rotated the photo a little just using fingers. Fascinating stuff. Microsoft has a hit on their hands with that Surface Table...</Sarcasm>
  • Reply 23 of 48
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Right. But getting a window into how and where apps are being used and what's selling doesn't strike me as three quarter of a billion dollars worth of intel.

Maybe that is why Apple didn't make a higher bid. I haven't heard anything about a bidding war between the two companies, but the devious thing for Apple to have done would have been to bid up the price or to express more interest in AdMob than they really ever had. Now that Google owns AdMob, I wonder if Apple will continue to allow AdMob to gather that information for free.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Good for Apple, can't let Google continue to bully the Big Boys and Girls. They already bulling the small guy, all those millions of blogs that have less than $100 in their Adsense accounts that have not been paid. Hope you read my iCrazee Mac Blog, enjoy the ads but actually click on them instead of letting advertising be free and just maybe Google will actually write all of us bloggers a check one day.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

They have failed with every Browser that they have introduced to the market.

What are you talking about?

Safari is in my not so humble opinion the best browser out there. I only ever use FireFox when I'm web developing just to make sure it looks right in other browsers and I only ever use IE when I'm accessing our stupid call system at work.

Mobile Safari is the best mobile browser on the market bar none so I fail to see how you think Apple has failed with every browser they've ever made when from memory they've only ever made two... Safari and iPhone Safari.

As for web development Apple is a major player in developing the HTML5 standard in fact it is streaks ahead in pushing standards than FireFox or Opera.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Apple hasn't got the first clue how to do search. Have you ever tried to find a technical support document by searching on apple.com? It's so bad that I go to google and do the same search in order to find where Apple is hiding the information.

Actually Google is a very poor search engine as well.

In fact ALL search engines suck. They are all fundamentally flawed.

I wrote about this last year here:

http://www.nzmac.com/community-blog/...h-engines.html

I couldn't - and still can't - workout why it is that with so much processing power we are still using a boolean type search system instead of a natural language search?

The Internet has all this information locked up in it that we can't access because there's no real way to actually find what we want. Google is making it worse by selling results.

If Apple ever did get into search I believe they would go for natural language search which. If they pulled it off Google would lose its dominance because people would use a system that gives them what they want.

Wolfram Alpha is on the right track but they're ultimately aiming at the mathematical results which is moot for the majority of the world.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

It's just a matter of time before Apple enters the search business, and then it will be a full-blown official war between these two. How quickly times can change. One day they are the best of friends, and the next they couldn't have a bigger enemy.

apple is known for making enemy. I remember when they got emagic logic. Boy was avid livid. Ironically, apple doesn't have any hardware for the prosumer. You can't count the iMac as you can't upgrade a thing.

I then remember a spat with adobe and adobe released all windows updates with no mac for almost two years, ironically again, you can't find

pro trainers to learn about this wheras Avid has their Avid Pro Tool and Maudio for the prosumer, most which are in oc due to uogradability. Shoot you don't even have the express slot in the 15 anymore and Internet musicians editors producers are the future.

I wonder what could happen with a great google phone, matt media center some of mac fanboy friena love. It's like dvr and sharing anywhere. No restrictions like with the iPhone and which computer you have to use.

Anyway. What would happen I wonder if msft google amd

and some good phone and internet phone samsung net TVA joined together

has anyone else notices but it's all becoming about open source ala hearst and not closed end systems. The future is going to be great for those on board. The net TVA are already there. This is why I don't think apple paid subscription would work. All the sites like abc,?NBC,CBS, FX already have free shows so whoa going to want topay??
  • Reply 28 of 48
    There's no way Apple are getting into search. No one will pay for a subscription search, and I just don't see Apple doing adverts on it, for the same reason Apple have really done adverts with iTunes... they're not clean, they're uncontrolled, a bad advert reflects badly on the people showing the advert.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    It is nice to see Apple trying to get ahead of Google. It would like to see this LaLa acquisition benefit Apple's products for years to come.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:

No, but besides that, AdMob makes its money on mobile platforms (i.e. iPhone) the way Google makes money on the web in general, by placing advertisements. AdMob is poised to grow on Apple's back. That's why it would also be interesting for Apple to own it. It would be a way for Apple to profit on the free ad-supported apps too.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

bingo

google makes %99 of their income from ads

admob does nothing unique at all
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

I couldn't - and still can't - workout why it is that with so much processing power we are still using a boolean type search system instead of a natural language search?

The Internet has all this information locked up in it that we can't access because there's no real way to actually find what we want. Google is making it worse by selling results.

If Apple ever did get into search I believe they would go for natural language search which. If they pulled it off Google would lose its dominance because people would use a system that gives them what they want.

Wolfram Alpha is on the right track but they're ultimately aiming at the mathematical results which is moot for the majority of the world.

are you saying we need a search engine to<< search>> the search engines ??

you may be correct

google sucks all day every day

sometimes on page 3 I find a non ad that fill my needs

and those google bots that ...
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

It's just a matter of time before Apple enters the search business, and then it will be a full-blown official war between these two. How quickly times can change. One day they are the best of friends, and the next they couldn't have a bigger enemy.

nahhh

who cares dude

google is after adobe sun msft and all print media

google is a one horse show

everyone else has 4 or 5 irons in the fire

one tiny misstep and googles stock goes 1/2

and what if a 13 yr old pimple faced kid invents a better faster more dianostic way to show/sell receive ads ?? At a cheaper /free price ?

what if apple bans ads ??

or bans flash ??

f google
  • Reply 34 of 48
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

google is just fine at natural language search. i use it to search support information for MS products and it's better at it than Microsoft's crappy support site and Bing. I can start typing in an error and it will automatically complete it for me
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neotyguy40 View Post

Why wouldn't Apple go up against Google?

The way I see it, I think Apple should make their OWN search engine and make it better than google and bing combined.

Mr. Jobs has a habit of seeing something, and making it 10x better. If I was him right now, I would do this:

1. Ban ads inside apps and use the excuse "We take 30% of all profits from paid apps, if they are free than we don't get any money". That will kill Google's investment in AdMob before they even profit from it.

2. Use Lala's music streaming to let people access their music from the cloud without needing to download and sync it everywhere.

3. Make our own search engine that has better features than other search engines. Use it to search iTunes too for music (something Google and MS can't compete with).

4. Look into technology that would be helpful to Google, and then buy it before they can.

The way I see it, with the strategy Google is pursuing, Apple has no choice but to go down the path of acquiring its own Maps, Search and advertising. And that's before I realised, as this article pointed out, how AdMob would provide insights into the App Store's inner workings. It is pertinent to note that Google has been the one to make the first hostile gambit, mainly with Android.

To quote Steve Jobs in an interview about Google (on their seeking not to get locked out of the mobile phone world): 'I actually think Google has achieved their goal without Android, and I now think Android hurts them more than it helps them. It?s just going to divide them and people who want to be their partners.'

As it stands, any new features that Google may come up with in Maps, Search etc may lead to its new Android partners (Verizon, Motorola, Samsung, LG, HTC etc) demanding that they are not released to their bitter rival Apple's mobile platform and should remain Android-only features. Herein lies the conflict and division easily foreseen by Steve Jobs.

It's going to get a lot uglier, but as the saying goes "you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas".

Now which of the warring sides does that apply to - or is it both?
  • Reply 36 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neotyguy40 View Post

Why wouldn't Apple go up against Google?

The way I see it, I think Apple should make their OWN search engine and make it better than google and bing combined.

Mr. Jobs has a habit of seeing something, and making it 10x better. If I was him right now, I would do this:

1. Ban ads inside apps and use the excuse "We take 30% of all profits from paid apps, if they are free than we don't get any money". That will kill Google's investment in AdMob before they even profit from it.

2. Use Lala's music streaming to let people access their music from the cloud without needing to download and sync it everywhere.

3. Make our own search engine that has better features than other search engines. Use it to search iTunes too for music (something Google and MS can't compete with).

4. Look into technology that would be helpful to Google, and then buy it before they can.

Along your line of thinking, didn't I read a while back Apple had purchased a mapping company? What happened to that ... I assume a work in progress.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

google is just fine at natural language search. i use it to search support information for MS products and it's better at it than Microsoft's crappy support site and Bing. I can start typing in an error and it will automatically complete it for me

It's not natural language search. If you meta tag the most commonly used words in English and include the mechanism for completion of the most commonly expected words as you start typing them it gives the illusion one is getting semantic searching. Never mind the fact the context of such search will continue to be a crap shoot.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Stop bringing MS into every thread, please.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Along your line of thinking, didn't I read a while back Apple had purchased a mapping company? What happened to that ... I assume a work in progress.

Apple acquired Placebase and their Pushpin Map technology and I for one am very excited to see the fruits of this labor. I read that Pushpin is Google Maps on steroids. Apple should be able to leverage it's excellent design to good effect.

I'm glad that Apple is moving away from riding Google's coattails on technology. Google's good at many things but Maps has consistently steered me wrong and Google Docs are simply "ok" nothing really groundbreaking IMO.

Apple will probably find the next Admob and get into that as well. I love seeing these battles erupt..it's just like the "old days"
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Apple won't get in to the search business and Google won't stifle Apple withing its SERPs.

Both companies could cause major damage to their core business if they start to meddle with the way things are right now.

All were seeing here is Google's parallel strategy taking effect. All big successful companies have them in order to survive. Those that have all their eggs in one basket don't stay around for very long.

Still, it's a good time for rumours.