Apple responds to, apologizes for iMac shipment delays

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post


    AI has taken a hugh leap in speculation with this article. There is absolutely no proof that the delay has anything to do with hardware failures. Apple didn't say so, and no one has been told their delay was from faulty parts.



    However, AI has tried their damnedest to make it seem like the shipment delay is due to the reported problems. AI did say, with very few words, that Apple hasn't acknowledged why, but twisted the meat of the story to fit their guess.



    Give me a break. Just say your guessing. One thing my not have anything to do with the other!



    I don't think the people at AI graduated high school. But you are dead-on, AI loves to fabricate their own stories.



    Perfect case in point, headline: Apple responds to, apologizes for iMac shipment delays. Same day following story headline: "Fall Mac shipments up 21%." Hey AI, get your facts before posting your stories.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post


    Apple didn't break the screens, the shipper broke them. What's the big deal? They are covered under warranty and will be fixed. People get their panties in a wad over the stupidest things. Instead of blogging and making videos, take the iMac to Apple for service. Bunch of retarded people.



    Actually, the glass is not covered under warranty. If the glass is broken when you receive the product, then the product is DOA and must be returned to the vendor for replacement. If the glass is broken after you receive the product, then it is considered customer abuse and is not covered under warranty. As an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician, and having done Apple warranty repairs for the last eight years, I am well versed in their warranty policies. (Apple is very good at making exceptions. You might be able to talk them into a customer satisfaction exception in the case of broken glass, but this would be an exception and not the rule.)
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7Aces View Post


    "Huge leap in speculation"? For those who are capable of adding 2 and 2, this is hardly an Agatha Christie murder mystery.



    "Apple didn't say so, and no one has been told their delay was from faulty parts." Good lord, how naïve are you? Widespread, major issues have only been reported with 27" iMacs - and incidentally, only those are the ones who happen to be delayed for several months. Or perhaps you didn't find this suspicious at all? I don't know about you, but it's hardly a completely unreasonable assumption to think that Apple is aware of this huge problem and are trying to correct it - using supply shortage as an excuse so they won't have to publicly acknowledge a problem before they've fixed it, and potentially scaring customers away before the holiday season in the process.



    Anyone can cite a press release filled with corporate BS, but journalism is about connecting the dots and presenting reasonable assumptions, like AI has done here.



    That's not the point. I could have easily connected the dots too. I'm not being naive, today. I've followed most of the tech news on this subject. AI wants their analysis to be right. So, they state it as fact throughout the post to show linkage, even though they really don't know if it's true. At the end of the day they might be right. All I was saying is, AI as a leading journal tech site, should present the facts objectively and then insert their opinion on the matter.



    You say this problem with iMacs is widespread. How do you know that? Is it the (wild guess) 500, 1000, or maybe even 2000 post on tech sites reporting the problem? Is that a representative sample of the millions, or so, sold statistically speaking? When some one looks at this problem with objective perspective, they might just see that this iMac is selling like hot cakes and Apple just can't keep up. That's just as logical a conclusion from an average consumer perspective.



    I don't know what is going on with the delay. As a nobody, I'll never have all the facts. I need to depend on reliable and objective technical journal reporting, to make a choice. If it's opinion, say it as such. Sound-bites is great for sensationalism, but it doesn't help Apple's stock price, or my buying decisions.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post


    Maybe you should direct your comment at the graphics card vendor instead. Apple doesn't make graphics cards, or the displays.



    And yet these problems don't exist in the PC world....so no, it's not ATI's or Nvidia's fault.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post


    Maybe you should direct your comment at the graphics card vendor instead. Apple doesn't make graphics cards, or the displays.



    Furthermore, most of these quality issues started happening (years ago) when they stopped manufacturing in the States or Ireland and started sourcing from China!
  • Reply 26 of 40
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post


    And yet these problems don't exist in the PC world....so no, it's not ATI's or Nvidia's fault.



    Really? GPU defects don't exist in the PC world? Besides being a patently ridiculous claim on its face, history also proves the claim false. Lookup NVIDIA's defective mobile GPU for a nice bit of background.



    Fact is, defects occur in any manufactured product and obviously sometimes in third party supplied components. The claim that the 27 inch iMacs have some measurable difference in defect rates is pure conjecture and even articles discussing the situation admit that there is no real proof other than anecdotal information from people. We just don't know one way or the other.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7Aces View Post


    Good lord, how naïve are you? Widespread, major issues have only been reported with 27" iMacs - and incidentally, only those are the ones who happen to be delayed for several months.



    As you seem to like to take anecdotal evidence on its face, I'll offer you that I ordered my 27 inch i7 on December 8th and the shipper picked it up on December 15th. That's hardly the delay you claim. I'm not claiming one way or the other if they've had supply or manufacturing problems, I'm just pointing out that all the evidence doesn't support it.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post


    Really? GPU defects don't exist in the PC world? Besides being a patently ridiculous claim on its face, history also proves the claim false. Lookup NVIDIA's defective mobile GPU for a nice bit of background.



    A minor case-in-point with the 27? iMacs. People unable to use the video input from PCs with Nvidia 4800(?) series GPUs with DisplayPort out. Everyone was thinking it was an Apple issue but when it worked with other GPUs that arrived DP the problem couldn?t be on Apple?s side.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    No one actually said they were sorry for even apolgized for "shipment delays". I reviewed the holiday timeline and ordered mine a week ago. I got informed Monday that it had been shipped from China and it arrived this morning at my door, free shipping. My screen is awesome and the i7 screams.



    Your article could be compared to a tabloid. My next action on my new i7 quad core iMac is to remove your RSS tabloid news feed from Google reader. There is a difference between news and speculation.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CorkChop View Post


    No one actually said they were sorry for even apolgized for "shipment delays". I reviewed the holiday timeline and ordered mine a week ago. I got informed Monday that it had been shipped from China and it arrived this morning at my door, free shipping. My screen is awesome and the i7 screams.



    Your article could be compared to a tabloid. My next action on my new i7 quad core iMac is to remove your RSS tabloid news feed from Google reader. There is a difference between news and speculation.



    I'm glad for you! Anyway even though it is true that Apple never publicly say that there were hardware issues, many dealers all over the world are saying that they were warned of delays up to January's end because of hardware issues with the Ati video card. Having ordered one of those beast from a dealer (more than 2 weeks ago), I can only say that I hope that my iMac will be without problems.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Obviously it is the people who have problems that talk the loudest, but I expect that the actual number of 27" iMacs with problems is very low. My i7 iMac is great and the screen is beautiful. UPS caused an unnecessary delay by forgetting to put it on their truck the day it was supposed to arrive, but otherwise no issues.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,605member
    To get an iMac delivered by Christmas you had to order by the 12th of December. On the 13th of December Apple changed the shipping dates to '2 weeks' which reflects the earlier cut off date for Christmas.



    As it stands you can walk into an Apple store and buy a 27" iMac, what you cannot do is get them from resellers as Apple are not supplying them and are holding stock for their own online sales and stores.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post


    As you seem to like to take anecdotal evidence on its face, I'll offer you that I ordered my 27 inch i7 on December 8th and the shipper picked it up on December 15th. That's hardly the delay you claim. I'm not claiming one way or the other if they've had supply or manufacturing problems, I'm just pointing out that all the evidence doesn't support it.



    You obviously ordered your i7 iMac directly from Apple.



    The dirty little secret Apple does not admit to is how they treat reseller orders.



    I ordered a "BTO" i7 iMac from a West Coast reseller on 11/27 (Black Friday) at 7:30 AM. The reseller was originally supposed to receive it from Apple on 12/4 then 12/14, then 12/28. They beat the last date by a couple of days, as 12/28 was the date I finally received it, though UPS was supposed to deliver it on 12/24 (but our driver told UPS that our business was closed on that date, which was not true - he probably just wanted a lighter load on that day).



    I have numerous reports of i7s being ordered from Apple directly during the second week of December being received within 9-12 days. My order took a month basically.



    For Apple to apologize for a "two-week" delay but not to publicly acknowledge that orders received via their authorized reseller channel are given the lowest priority and intentionally delayed is dishonest in the extreme.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post


    To get an iMac delivered by Christmas you had to order by the 12th of December. On the 13th of December Apple changed the shipping dates to '2 weeks' which reflects the earlier cut off date for Christmas.



    As it stands you can walk into an Apple store and buy a 27" iMac, what you cannot do is get them from resellers as Apple are not supplying them and are holding stock for their own online sales and stores.



    If Apple wants to shut the door on their authorized resellers due to high demand and low supply of i7 iMacs, that's their business.



    But to point me to their authorized resellers on their own website without letting me, THE CUSTOMER, know that it will take me three times longer to acquire an Apple product from their recommended reseller is absolutely inexcusable. And it ought to be illegal, to tell the truth.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cheater View Post


    If Apple wants to shut the door on their authorized resellers due to high demand and low supply of i7 iMacs, that's their business.



    But to point me to their authorized resellers on their own website without letting me, THE CUSTOMER, know that it will take me three times longer to acquire an Apple product from their recommended reseller is absolutely inexcusable. And it ought to be illegal, to tell the truth.



    I ordered an i7 from my reseller at the end of November, a couple of days ago they phoned me warning that Apple told them not to expect it until late January, because of hardware problems they were trying to fix. Anyway, I see that all the i7 ordered from the store are still being delivered with 'small' delays. So I really don't know what to say. I only hope that I'll get a perfect working machine.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palple View Post


    I only hope that I'll get a perfect working machine.



    Well, after the 31 day wait, my i7 has been flawless. No flickering problem, no screen cracks, etc.



    I especially like the Magic Mouse, as scrolling with it feels very much like caressing my wife or the cat. LOL!!!
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cheater View Post


    Well, after the 31 day wait, my i7 has been flawless. No flickering problem, no screen cracks, etc.



    I especially like the Magic Mouse, as scrolling with it feels very much like caressing my wife or the cat. LOL!!!



    Don't take this the wrong way but...if caressing your wife is like caressing your cat, then either you have a Sphynx breed cat or your wife needs to shave.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I ordered an i7 on December 23. I had hoped by this time it might enter shipping stage.



    Anyone seen a pattern of how long the orders actually take to ship?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    emveeemvee Posts: 27member
    Incredible, I ordered and paid my i7-4GB-512MB iMac mid November at a premium reseller in Delft (The Netherlands) with the promise that it would be delivered before the end of that month. Since December I cannot get any commitment on a delivery date from them. They simply state not to be able to estimate it. Especially annoying because a similar order through the Apple Store has a shipping date within 2 weeks. I am trying to find out how many orders are to be handled before mine, but no words yet.



    Are there any other Dutch readers having similar experiences, either with resellers in The Netherlands, or the specific one in Delft?



    I am trying to become a Mac user as well, but Apple is not very cooperative unfortunately.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    palplepalple Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emvee View Post


    Incredible, I ordered and paid my i7-4GB-512MB iMac mid November at a premium reseller in Delft (The Netherlands) with the promise that it would be delivered before the end of that month. Since December I cannot get any commitment on a delivery date from them. They simply state not to be able to estimate it. Especially annoying because a similar order through the Apple Store has a shipping date within 2 weeks. I am trying to find out how many orders are to be handled before mine, but no words yet.



    Are there any other Dutch readers having similar experiences, either with resellers in The Netherlands, or the specific one in Delft?



    I am trying to become a Mac user as well, but Apple is not very cooperative unfortunately.



    I did the same in Italy, and although I did not have to pay at order time, they are still not able to know when it will be delivered. They only told me about hardware problems in the new iMac which is preventing deliveries. Anyway Apple is still delivering them on their online store!!!
Sign In or Register to comment.