Apple seen in 'pole position' to control mobile Internet computing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It is pretty amazing how far Apple has come, isn't it? A little over two years and Apple is defining the whole game and pushing everyone else ahead in the process.

Would we have expected anything less from Apple's visionary talent?

And what of the naysayers that laughed off the iPhone?

Palm's CEO Ed Cooligan - gone...

MS's CEO Steve Ballmer - gone from laughing to crying!
  • Reply 22 of 70
    Apple is about 3-5 years ahead of everyone else, IMO. No one else has been able to build an end-to-end easy to use solution other than them, and even in the case of Google there's no real evidence anyone other than geeks are jonesing for their product yet.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

This is why Microsoft is quaking in its boots. All along they thought search was the ebola-like threat looming on the horizon. More and more it looks like it's mobile computing.

MS can totally fail in search and they will still sell millions upon millions of Windows licenses. Mobile computing however is the real threat because as mobile devices get more and more powerful, people will start to turn away from laptops and desktops and just rely on their Gen 6 iPhones.

Don't people still want a computer to do large-screen stuff on? Sure. They'll go home, wirelessly connect their iPhone to the screen, keyboard, mouse, and printer in their home office and work away. No Windows in this equation.

No Macbooks, Macbook Pros, iMacs, or MacPros in that equation either. I don't think Apple wants to see a world where mobile devices significantly cannibalize the desktop... at least not until they can first build out a hierarchy of differentiated iPhone products to take up the slack.

Thompson
  • Reply 24 of 70
    "What have others been trying to do for years, attract social losers that have nothing better to do but stream music and check their facebook 3 million times a day? Thats about all this shows"

no, it shows more than you are saying.. as it is from where a major percentage of retail commerce hits come from.. Amazon, Best Buy, etc etc are getting customer sales that came from these social losers who have somehow are also social spenders.. This has been outlined several times in stats presented by followers of the $...
  • Reply 25 of 70
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

No Macbooks, Macbook Pros, iMacs, or MacPros in that equation either. I don't think Apple wants to see a world where mobile devices significantly cannibalize the desktop... at least not until they can first build out a hierarchy of differentiated iPhone products to take up the slack. ...

I think they are doing just that though with the (purported) tablet due to be announced after Christmas.

What this says to me is that all that talk about market share of Mac versus Windows is about to become irrelevant. I read a report two weeks ago that said that the number of individuals accessing the Internet with a mobile device is going to *pass* the number of desktops accessing the Internet next year.

If Apple dominates the market share and sets the standard for this platform, they have essentially done an end run around Microsoft and dominated them once and for all.

Sure Microsoft will still sell Windows to a lot of older people and businesses, but Apple will be in the market leader, "top share" position in an entirely new platform that they invented, and which completely eclipses the desktop market.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    This is not a good report because this is not good news.

All this is going to do is encourage Apple NOT to innovate. Or it might encourage them to innovate at a slower pace. Reports like these takes the pressure off of Apple to keep coming out with products that are leaps and bounds beyond the competition.

Lately, Apple has been only doing slight incremental updates to their products especially with the iphone/ipod touch. Reports like this is only going to encourage Apple to do the same.

This means you can only expect slight updates to the iphone's software and hardware so Apple can maintain their lead.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Not debatable.

And like you I'm an "older" iPod touch user.

However, this isn't about your particular situation. Statistics represent an aggregate view of the marketplace, not a given person's particular situation (like yours or mine).

Other studies have shown that the average iPod touch is younger (16-24) than the average iPhone user (25-40). Just search the Web, the studies are available to view.

I agree that the iPod touch does provide a lot of functionality without getting into the morass of egregious U.S. cellular rates. However, you are still burdened by standards, coverage, and crap providers, just like I am with my Pay-As-You-Go prepaid dumbphone on the T-Mobile network.

You've posted almost the exact same response I was going to post.

I too am a happy iPod touch user (older as well). But it is a no brainer that when the millions and millions of iPod touch users (many of them younger users) reach the time in their life when they need to move to a smart phone (and that time in their life WILL come); which phone are they going to buy. It's obvious. I mean they are already 95% dug in to the whole experience.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

I didn't take offense xTremeS. Your style of opinion is needed in forums, to give it spark at times, even Teckstuds style is childish at times, but he does make good points. Though like a child, he needs to be grounded when acting out of place

I will agree that droid does come second, with a mobile browsing experience. Google just lacks the Lust factor (for lack of a better word) that Apple creates. Plus Apple always finds a way to give us features we didn't know we needed (i.e. compass app, trimming a video clip & and on the back end providing excellent API's for developers, I just read that Apple is working on the "PastryKit Framework" that will work to enhance iPhones Web App interactivity. Very exciting indeed. I can't wait for WWDC2010. If this new Framework gets released to the public then may actually not be a bit of a stretch after all . Stayed Tuned "The Best is yet to come"

Well its a stretch for today but that doesn't mean its a stretch a few years down the line. As we all know two years in technology can be a lifetime. If Apple comes out with a fairly powerful Tablet I could see people docking that in the near future. The iPhone now just simply lacks the power do to its size. It would be really had to use that for anything other then simple tasks and web browsing.

Google is really good a certain things but you are right they do lack excitement right now. I see Google as more of a long term threat to Microsoft. Windows 7 is a fairly good product for Microsoft but they are really having their dark days now.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxmann View Post

"What have others been trying to do for years, attract social losers that have nothing better to do but stream music and check their facebook 3 million times a day? Thats about all this shows"

no, it shows more than you are saying.. as it is from where a major percentage of retail commerce hits come from.. Amazon, Best Buy, etc etc are getting customer sales that came from these social losers who have somehow are also social spenders.. This has been outlined several times in stats presented by followers of the $...

How does more broswer time using free products turn people into spenders?
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

All this is going to do is encourage Apple NOT to innovate. Or it might encourage them to innovate at a slower pace. Reports like these takes the pressure off of Apple to keep coming out with products that are leaps and bounds beyond the competition.

Lately, Apple has been only doing slight incremental updates to their products especially with the iphone/ipod touch. Reports like this is only going to encourage Apple to do the same.

This means you can only expect slight updates to the iphone's software and hardware so Apple can maintain their lead.

Apple does not, and never has innovated because of outside pressure. This is just ignorance about the company, it's history, and it's core values.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    Quote:

Apple seen in 'pole position' to control mobile Internet computing

Quote:

Apple is in the "pole position" to lead the mobile computing race, the report concluded.

Gotta love Appleinsider changing "Apple is in the "pole position" to lead the mobile computing race, the report concluded" into "Apple seen in 'pole position' to control mobile Internet computing". Their headlines are looking more and more like fanboy forum postings everyday. Apple has as much chance of "controlling" mobile internet computing with the iPhone as Toyota has of "controlling" alternative fuel vehicles with the Prius. Dozens of companies would have to just "give up" and hand over their operations and intellectual property for Apple to "control" mobile computing (I'm sure every mobile provider who doesn't offer the iPhone will just close up shop). While I won't take issue with Apple being a leading maufacturer of mobile devices and a leader in the industry, the fact that Apple has only a 17% share (and that's just smartphones), means all those other companies have an opportunity to reverse the trend.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well its a stretch for today but that doesn't mean its a stretch a few years down the line. As we all know two years in technology can be a lifetime. If Apple comes out with a fairly powerful Tablet I could see people docking that in the near future. The iPhone now just simply lacks the power do to its size. It would be really had to use that for anything other then simple tasks and web browsing.

Google is really good a certain things but you are right they do lack excitement right now. I see Google as more of a long term threat to Microsoft. Windows 7 is a fairly good product for Microsoft but they are really having their dark days now.

Well put.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxmann View Post

Which location do you like better, SF or MIA? (Yes I know thats random)
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:

No Macbooks, Macbook Pros, iMacs, or MacPros in that equation either. I don't think Apple wants to see a world where mobile devices significantly cannibalize the desktop... at least not until they can first build out a hierarchy of differentiated iPhone products to take up the slack.

Thompson

Ah, you've fallen into the 'cannibalization' trap that tech 'analysts' routinely trot out whenever they feel the need to say something that sounds like they know stuff.

Cannibalizing your own product is not a bad thing. I always said when asked, or even when not asked, you better be ready to cannibalize your own product because if you don't do it to yourself, your competitor will do it to you. And furthermore, if you're doing it to yourself, you're probably doing it to your competitors as well.

So what is preferable to Apple?

A consumer computer industry where desktops and laptops remain significant despite the rise of compact mobile computing devices? Or . . .

A industry where compact mobile devices virtually supplant (i.e cannibalize) desktops and laptops?

I think Apple would prefer the latter because then they own the whole market (or close to it) while the former, in all likelihood, leaves significant room for Windows.

If consumer habits trend towards compact mobile computing devices and away from the two tops (desk and lap) then any effort to prevent cannibalizing your own product is futile. Bottom line it is not really Apple's choice whether a market for large devices exists or not.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think they are doing just that though with the (purported) tablet due to be announced after Christmas.

What this says to me is that all that talk about market share of Mac versus Windows is about to become irrelevant. I read a report two weeks ago that said that the number of individuals accessing the Internet with a mobile device is going to *pass* the number of desktops accessing the Internet next year.

If Apple dominates the market share and sets the standard for this platform, they have essentially done an end run around Microsoft and dominated them once and for all.

Sure Microsoft will still sell Windows to a lot of older people and businesses, but Apple will be in the market leader, "top share" position in an entirely new platform that they invented, and which completely eclipses the desktop market.

I completely agree that Apple has invented an entirely new platform that will eclipse (not replace) the desktop PC market. The cell phone industry is already larger than the PC industry, and it won't take long for the smart phone industry to completely fill up the cell phone industry. And I believe that Apple is in the driver seat of that market, completing an end-run around Microsoft for a growth opportunity. So we are in agreement.

Having said all of that, my original response was to someone that envisioned a situation where iPhones themselves replaced desktop machines by allowing for attachment of monitors and keyboards, etc, thus rendering Windows (and Mac OS) completely irrelevant. But I don't believe that the public iPhone API will be expanded in that way because I think that Apple is going to want to keep the desktop segment alive. That market is too large too squander, even if it is smaller than the mobile market.

Thompson
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Ah, you've fallen into the 'cannibalization' trap that tech 'analysts' routinely trot out whenever they feel the need to say something that sounds like they know stuff.

Cannibalizing your own product is not a bad thing. I always said when asked, or even when not asked, you better be ready to cannibalize your own product because if you don't do it to yourself, your competitor will do it to you. And furthermore, if you're doing it to yourself, you're probably doing it to your competitors as well.

So what is preferable to Apple?

A consumer computer industry where desktops and laptops remain significant despite the rise of compact mobile computing devices? Or . . .

A industry where compact mobile devices virtually supplant (i.e cannibalize) desktops and laptops?

I think Apple would prefer the latter because then they own the whole market (or close to it) while the former, in all likelihood, leaves significant room for Windows.

If consumer habits trend towards compact mobile computing devices and away from the two tops (desk and lap) then any effort to prevent cannibalizing your own product is futile. Bottom line it is not really Apple's choice whether a market for large devices exists or not.

I couldn't agree more. The market will decide, and Apple would prefer to be the one doing the cannibalization. The distinction I'm making here is one of "passive" versus "active" cannibalization. That is, while I agree that Apple has moved (and will continue to move) to be at the nexus of the emerging mobile market so they can be the ones that benefit from whatever cannibalization may occur, I do not believe that Apple will actively encourage it by making it possible to run your desktop keyboard and monitor from your iPhone together with an API for building full-featured applications such as the ones we commonly run on said desktops. You won't be finding that capability in their publicly available iPhone API or in the iPhone OS anytime soon.

Doesn't anybody actually follow the logic of a conversation anymore prior to jumping on their soapbox?
  • Reply 36 of 70
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Most of this post is pure hyperbolic speculation that is not supported by anything. Part of your post is misunderstanding the process of developing a new platform.

Most of the innovation of the iPhone happened when it was first developed. The innovation was in the foundation of the OS and its API's. After that Apple is building on that foundation. Adding features isn't as exciting as building a brand new OS. After establishing the foundation in some ways you are limited in the changes you can make because you don't want to disrupt what you've already done.

In light of the fact that Apple is acquiring companies, intellectual property, and engineering talent that will directly impact the iPhone, outside of your opinion what evidence do you have that Apple will stop or even slow down its development of the iPhone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

• Reply 37 of 70
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I don' think this will happen because its simply not practical. The iPhone makes a great mobile supplementary device, but it does not at all replace a more capable computer.

Three years ago I used to have a desktop at home and carry around a notebook as my portable machine. Now I don't own a desktop, my notebook stays at home more than it used to, and I carry my iPhone as my portable machine. The iPhone keeps me connected until I can get home to my notebook.

Quote:

Having said all of that, my original response was to someone that envisioned a situation where iPhones themselves replaced desktop machines by allowing for attachment of monitors and keyboards, etc, thus rendering Windows (and Mac OS) completely irrelevant. But I don't believe that the public iPhone API will be expanded in that way because I think that Apple is going to want to keep the desktop segment alive. That market is too large too squander, even if it is smaller than the mobile market.

Thompson

• Reply 38 of 70
    Quote:

What have others been trying to do for years, attract social losers that have nothing better to do but stream music and check their facebook 3 million times a day? Thats about all this shows. There isn't anything in this article about innovation its about the surfing habits of the average iPhone/Touch user which we all know is obsessive.

Maybe this article should read Apple in pole position of having the most losers checking their facebook at the same time while streaming Pandora and not getting any real work done.

...or losers trolling fora

• Reply 39 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Apple does not, and never has innovated because of outside pressure. This is just ignorance about the company, it's history, and it's core values.

So true.

For the same token, I don't believe that it has ever been Apple's goal to sell the most computers or the most phones. Instead make something innovative and then have fun watching others playing catch-up, but don't get caught into the competition game. For this reason, I would be very disappointed if they would make a phone for Verizon, because that would mean giving in to outside pressures.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:

What have others been trying to do for years, attract social losers that have nothing better to do but stream music and check their facebook 3 million times a day? Thats about all this shows. There isn't anything in this article about innovation its about the surfing habits of the average iPhone/Touch user which we all know is obsessive.

Maybe this article should read Apple in pole position of having the most losers checking their facebook at the same time while streaming Pandora and not getting any real work done.

Yeah, and that is way worse than constantly replying to these posts. Really hope your getting paid for all of your time here.