'Fake Steve Jobs' vs. AT&T's real-life phone service

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

So does capping their ?unlimited? usage and cutting them off the ?net when they use too much.

Give one instance where this has happened. While you're at it, tell us how many people use more than 5 GB data on their iPhone in one month.

Quote:

But AT&T NEEDS to "regain control of its wireless customers.? Apple has been bringing in tons of AT&T customers, and AT&T simply NEEDS to have the power to drive those customers away again. It?s how AT&T does business

This is how the public goes loony.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Give one instance where this has happened. While you're at it, tell us how many people use more than 5 GB data on their iPhone in one month.

This is how the public goes loony.

First off, it's really hard to even reach that limit, since youtube videos on 3G are cut rate on quality and thus bandwidth. Most are around 15MB on normal quality, and you can't get HD level videos because it would have no effect on an iphone.

If you really do 5GB on a consistent basis, either you are using p2p crap or bt via tethering, and both are reasons for terminating your service, ON ANY PROVIDER.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blurpbleepbloop View Post

I hope Verizon is on the ball.

Is that because you're a Verizon customer (biased)?
  • Reply 24 of 90
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

I could go on too long (ok, maybe i already did). But i don't get it. If i'm lucky enough to have business or personal needs that i meet by using ATTs service so extensively that i join that 3% of over-consumers, I should be happy to pay for that privilege. And I shouldn't talk about knocking down everyone else's cabanas and unplugging their printers, just because I'm unhappy because i can't everything i want for the price i want. Fakesteve and his cohorts deserve a bums rush on this one.

I understand that "unlimited" should mean just that. This is reminiscent of the debacle that Comcast High Speed Internet had as well back in 2007-08 I think. Unfortunately, regardless of the true meaning of "unlimited", there are those folks that simply abuse that service to the max. Far more than any wireless provider could have anticipated. For those that constantly stream you-tube, media, whatever... yes, they should pay an increased price. Or better yet, those that use the service at a minimum should pay a lesser data plan. I suppose a tiered system would be more appropriate.

Whiners will complain (as usual) that "unlimited" should mean they should be allowed to download literally gigabytes of data on a handheld device with no concern for how their actions affect other people. It is after all, a shared-bandwidth medium but the whiners don't think of it that way. It is all about them.

That kind of usage is wrong. If they have a desire (and no life) to download that much data for a handheld device (or illegal tethering), then let them pay more. They are abusers. Simple as that.

No wireless network can support that kind of usage. I'm not apologizing for AT&T but I think that even if Verizon was the first choice, they would be in the exact same position as AT&T is right now. I'm sure the Verizon executives are wiping their foreheads for dodging the iPhone bullet in the big picture due to the bandwidth issues.

In the end, it will end up being that the small percentage of users will screw it up for the ones that played it safe.
  • Reply 25 of 90
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    FSJ is looking a little sheepish on this. His most recent post is not in full FSJ character, sounding a little more like Lyons trying to cover his butt in case there are ramifications like, oh, emergency calls not being able to go through.

It is kinda childish, particularly since his first post on the FSJ/Randall Stephenson conversation was nothing short of brilliant.
  • Reply 26 of 90
    Guys,

FSJ is a joke, hence the name: FAKE Steve Jobs. It's a blog with one premise: a joke. Operation Chokehold is a joke. Get it? Why get so pissed off? If someone can't clearly see that the whole blog is a joke, they have something very seriously wrong with them and should seek counseling of some sort.

Take a deep breath. Relax.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

FSJ is looking a little sheepish on this. His most recent post is not in full FSJ character, sounding a little more like Lyons trying to cover his butt in case there are ramifications like, oh, emergency calls not being able to go through.

It is kinda childish, particularly since his first post on the FSJ/Randall Stephenson conversation was nothing short of brilliant.

• Reply 27 of 90
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by driver8 View Post

Guys,

FSJ is a joke, hence the name: FAKE Steve Jobs. It's a blog with one premise: a joke. Operation Chokehold is a joke. Get it? Why get so pissed off? If someone can't clearly see that the whole blog is a joke, they have something very seriously wrong with them and should seek counseling of some sort.

Take a deep breath. Relax.

Um, yeah, we know.

The 1700+ signups for the protest, however, may be quite real.

Lyons doesn't sound like he's totally comfortable with the ball he's started rolling.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    zoggzogg Posts: 10member
    I understand user's are frustrated, but if they truly want to punish AT&T and "bring them to their knees," the only real way is to simply not continue the service. Vote with your wallet. That's how capitalism works.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    I'm actually fine with AT&T's plan. The top 3%'ers can continue to pay the current rate for the unlimited data they are consuming and I can pay a subset of that rate based on my lesser data usage. Seems to me that is the only way they can reasonably move forward from a fixed rate.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayparry View Post

Yes.

Fake steve has a point tho... they sold people 'unlimited data' , those people can feel free to take advantage of that! They should not re-neg and say that now you have to pay because AT&T underestimated that people might actually use their cool new iphones. Your analogy is broken because if you paid for unlimited movies or whatever you were on about, you wouldnt want someone to stop you after a set amount.

A better publicity move for AT&T in this era of crowd-participation, is to say "Please proceed with Operation Chokehold as it will be a good test of our network readiness" That would probably diffuse the bomb and make people have less animosity towards AT&T. But because they called it irresponsible and pointless, now I want to join in!

some valid points. (including the "yes")
  • Reply 31 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

For those of us that need to make legitimate and important calls (possibly life saving calls), your little juvenile experiment will only cause harm for the rest of us. All I can say to you is get a good lawyer.

Hey, I have an idea, let's get back at.....

Dept of Transportation by all driving to work at the exact same time! Aren't we fed up with traffic jams! This will get them!

Dept of Water & Sanitation by all flushing the toilet at the same time! Aren't we fed up with low water pressure? Yeah...this will work!

Department Stores by shopping at the same time! Aren't we fed up with long lines! Hooray!

i bow to your wisdom.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

And with your proceeds, how about you put up some cell towers that improve coverage. It's obvious AT&T isn't doing anything to improve things.

brian, I think you underestimate the obligations ATT has to report its infrastructure investments REASONABLY accurately, what with SEC regulation and all. A multiblllion dollar corporation can't blithely tell investors it's spending $18B to expand its network, and then do nothing. There are far more checks and balances on the corporation than on your understandable expressions of frustration. Even if the investments aren't enough to provide full and perfect service for everyone all the time, i'd not be so quick to assume the reported investments are simply lies, or that ATT "isn't doing anything" to improve its coverage. Discourse is usually disserved when people resort to extremes.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    i have owned an iphone from day 1, and yes the service has gotten better for the most part, but so has the phone.

don't cry about the service provider, it was your decision to buy the iphone and you knew who the provider was to be before you bought it.

as with everything in this world, nothing is perfect.

NO ONE PERSON HAS THE RIGHT TO TALK JUNK ABOUT AT&T, EVERY PROVIDER HAS DRAW BACKS AND I HAVE HAD PHONES OVER THE PAST 12 YEARS ON JUST ABOUT ALL OF THEM.

THAT BEING SAID AT&T HAS DONE A GREAT JOB COMPARATIVELY TO THE REST.

SO STOP THE WHINING A FIND SOMETHING TO DO WITH ALL THIS EXTRA TIME YOU HAVE.

GO HELP THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE NOTHING, ESPECIALLY AT THIS TIME OF THE YEAR.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Is that because you're a Verizon customer (biased)?

Ha! Actually, I've never been a Verizon customer...I was on Sprint for several years until the iPhone came out at which time I switched. I get appalling service at home (bay area, CA). I'm hoping that there is a better alternative out there when the iPhone opens up to more (another) carrier.

blurp
  • Reply 35 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

You'd have to prove that everyone that happened to be using a lot of data during that hour was aware of the stunt and participating in it. How are you going to do that? With a whole lot of work scouring Facebook and message boards like this you might, just might, be able to stick it to what? 100, 200?

After 9/11, the Federal Government mandated and defined the Telecommunications Systems as Critical Assets because they are required to be used in the event of any national emergency. As such, any person, group, external entity, or terrorist that attempts to disrupt or destroy this infrastructure has committed a felony crime against the US Government.

I'm no lawyer, but from here it looks like Dan Lyons has organized a National DoS (Denial of Service) Attack against part of our Telecommunications Systems. This is no different than cyber-terrorists who attempt to attack our network infrastructure from abroad using similar DoS attacks.

Like I said, if I were Dan Lyons, I would get a good lawyer. The public participants who want to blindly follow Dan's lead, will probably have nothing to worry about.....no one can prove that that were part of this plan.
  • Reply 36 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayparry View Post

Fake steve has a point tho... they sold people 'unlimited data' , those people can feel free to take advantage of that!

Your limiting your use of the term unlimited. They stated unlimited but didn?t qualify what that term meant in the general marketing. They let you utilize their network in two unlimited ways, the amount of time per day and per month is unlimited (no blackout times or total time limit use) and you have unlimited access to any AT&T location in the US.

These weren?t always the case. AOL uses to give yo unlimited data caps but limited your usage to $15/month for 3 hours and then $3 per hour thereafter. And I think MetroPCS charges extra for using cell service outside of your calling region. even though it?s free nationwide calling from your state or region.

Even now there are cell plans that advertise unlimited nights and weekends, but you are still limited to their start and stop timeframes.

The contract you sign is to lock you in, not them. They then had customers sign a contract that clearly stated, albeit in fine print, that they have a right to cap you at 5GB, alter or cancel your account at any time. They also stipulated what you can and can?t do with the device. For example, tethering.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

"if you're looking for sympathy it's in the dictionary, between shit and suicide" (i know, i know).

Dude...you need a new dictionary!
  • Reply 38 of 90
    lol att and the ppl that claim they may need to make an emergency call are morons. everyone knows a cell phone is not an emergency tool because even in this day and age you CANT count on technology in an emergency. even if ppl were not blasting the network, theres still NEVER a guaranty that you will get a call through. thats why your not suppose to have just a cell phone at home. use your heads ppl, cells are a luxury not a right. and to the ppl upset with the top 3 percent, really? if i buy something no matter what it is, i should be able to use it as intended. if they say unlimted, where is the limit in that statement? att needs to get their act together, i went to vzw cuz att couldnt get me a call with out dropping it. then i went to tmobile cuz vzw nickle and dimes me for EVERYTHING. pretty soon other carriers are going to get the iphone and att wont have a leg to stand on. all these corporations need to stop filling their own pockets and treat us like customers. if i spend my hard earned money with your company i expect nothing but the best and no excuses. at least when i have an issue with tmobile they take ownership of the problem and get it resolved immidately. that alone makes up for their ho hum service. but one last thing, tmobile has wifi calling. if your like me and your under wifi 95% of the day, lousy cell coverage doesnt matter since i have top notch wifi coverage. in the end, my phone gets a great call long before anyone elses does.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    Quote:

After 9/11, the Federal Government mandated and defined the Telecommunications Systems as Critical Assets because they are required to be used in the event of any national emergency. As such, any person, group, external entity, or terrorist that attempts to disrupt or destroy this infrastructure has committed a felony crime against the US Government.

I'm no lawyer, but from here it looks like Dan Lyons has organized a National DoS (Denial of Service) Attack against part of our Telecommunications Systems. This is no different than cyber-terrorists who attempt to attack our network infrastructure from abroad using similar DoS attacks.

Like I said, if I were Dan Lyons, I would get a good lawyer. The public participants who want to blindly follow Dan's lead, will probably have nothing to worry about.....no one can prove that that were part of this plan.

dood youre wrong! in the event of an emergency, cell towers are giving the highest priority to emergency personel. try making a call from any carrier when there is a state of emergency.
  • Reply 40 of 90
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

It sounds like a worry for Fake Steve. The public participants might avoid legal troubles, but if AT&T is looking for a way to identify the 3% of users who are data hogs, looking at the list of phone numbers online during the entire period of Operation Chokehold would be a good starting point. The protestors' brilliant plan is to identify themselves to AT&T.