Apple's iPhone commands 46% of Japanese smartphone market

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

BTW... Apple's entire developer platform (Mac, Safari, iPhone) is open to people who want to write powerful, elegant, and sophisticated Apps for a relevant and top of the line OS & Web browser. " Do you want to write code, or write the future " - Apple

Exactly. At this point, I think the whining is mostly from folks who can't get their adult-themed trash accepted.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Congratulations Apple!

I don't have a iPhone, I'm waiting for a few things to occur first.

1: .......

Wait away.....
  • Reply 43 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Video chat,(...) it's a very impractical technology that no-one uses. Holding your phone at arm's length and shouting really doesn't have many everyday uses.

lean iphone against coffee mug on table?

headset? iphone earbuds with mic?

not that impractical, surely?

(personally i have no interest in video chat, just saying it could be more comfortable than what you describe)
  • Reply 44 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

If I read the report correctly, the survey size was 2800 smart phone users who answered an email survey in September. The survey was only sent to subscribers who had previously signed up. How valid is this?

What is the potential source of bias? And, if there is such a bias, is it for or against the iPhone?
  • Reply 45 of 68
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Virtually every notebook computer sold at least over the past two years comes with a web cam built in. Its a much more practical way of video conferencing than on a phone, but few people use it. Its not really a feature that people demand and use.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

(personally i have no interest in video chat, just saying it could be more comfortable than what you describe)

• Reply 46 of 68
    You see? Even the hardcore tech savy Japanese know that iPhone

is the greatest device they have ever seen. They all wet their

pants the minute they fired their iPhones up.. They know that

it blows the doors off of any shity copy like android and palm

samsung.. IPhone is our dream come true. It's what we all rest

our hopes and dreams on.. It's the device that's made by the great

apple..
  • Reply 47 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Virtually every notebook computer sold at least over the past two years comes with a web cam built in. Its a much more practical way of video conferencing than on a phone, but few people use it. Its not really a feature that people demand and use.

really? where are you getting this data from? sources? i don't have any data to refute your statements, but i do see a lot of people every day using the notebook camera for video conferencing/chatting ....
  • Reply 48 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Its really a lot of smaller brands to be honest, and i think their not included because they arent on much of a global scale and dont have a real ecosystem behind them. When you think smart phone makers, the first 4 things that pop into my mind are RIM, Apple, Google, Microsoft...not Sharp, Panasonic, NEC or Fujitsu (those are the popular brands i can think of in Japan)

Although they are smaller brands, they still have a name. I'm interested in reading up on these. Can you provide the name of a few of those smaller brands? Thanks.

EDIT: Do you know of cellular companies in Japan or elsewhere in Asia that sell these smaller brand phones? - Thanks.
  • Reply 49 of 68
    There is no data, because there has been no study on it, because it's not that popular.

Quote:

really? where are you getting this data from? sources? i don't have any data to refute your statements, but i do see a lot of people every day using the notebook camera for video conferencing/chatting ....

• Reply 50 of 68
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

There is no data, because there has been no study on it, because it's not that popular.

that's a great lesson in lazy & comic argument - hope you're not employed as an educator anywhere? police and / or comedy could be more your forte :-)

a quick peek at google's offerings shows there's plenty of data, but i guess you wouldn't look it up - google probably isn't that popular where you live either

thanks for enlightening me though, now i know why nobody does any research on death and dying - death's just not that popular.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    What's this "heavily discounted"?

The iPhone is comparably priced in Australia e.g. free on twenty four month contracts, just like any other smartphone, no doubt it's a similar situation in Japan.

Then again all four networks offer iPhones here.

Quote:

The iPhone is being heavily discounted by Softbank, not sure if this is true for the 3GS, whom is the 3rd largest carrier in the country iirc. The fact its still selling is a good sign.

• Reply 52 of 68
    We do need to note the irony that you did not link to any of this easily found data. So does that make you as lazy as I? You really think Google isn't popular in New York?

Lets use this article for context, Video Conferencing, an Emerging Social Media Platform...Paltalk Claims 4 Million Active Users

This service has 4 million users around the world, FaceBook has nearly 400 million users worldwide, 4 trillion text messages sent per year, hundreds of billions of emails sent per year.

In light of these numbers, you don't find it safe to say video conferencing hasn't taken off as a popular communications medium?

Quote:

a quick peek at google's offerings shows there's plenty of data, but i guess you wouldn't look it up - google probably isn't that popular where you live either

• Reply 53 of 68
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Although they are smaller brands, they still have a name. I'm interested in reading up on these. Can you provide the name of a few of those smaller brands? Thanks.

EDIT: Do you know of cellular companies in Japan or elsewhere in Asia that sell these smaller brand phones? - Thanks.

Not off the top of my head I don't, you can head over to the DoCoMo website and look at their offerings.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What's this "heavily discounted"?

The iPhone is comparably priced in Australia e.g. free on twenty four month contracts, just like any other smartphone, no doubt it's a similar situation in Japan.

Then again all four networks offer iPhones here.

The phone had been doing very poorly prior to the 3GS release (apple followers will claim otherwise) due to 2 things, overpriced plans (extremely competitive in japan with the 4 carriers) and better phones already there.

They have been giving the 3G away there because sales have been glacial to say the least. A bit of steam picked up for the 3GS but let me say I have my skepticism about this article, for Apple to have 46% they would have had to sell roughly 350k 3G an 400k 3GS for the estimated 1.6million smartphones japan is supposed to sell this year. Can someone tell me when the original 3g went on sale in Japan?
  • Reply 54 of 68
    June or July last year. I bought one.

Bought a 3GS this June.

I see several iPhones every day where I live and it certainly ain't Tokyo.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    Misleading report.

Anybody who've been to Japan (I just came back from there a week ago) will know that the number of iPhone users are far and few between in Japan.

If you define those Sharp/Panasonic phones with imode, internet, 3g, etc, and TV features etc, as "smart", then I believe you're only going to see one iPhone for every 200 persons. I only spotted some handfuls of iPhone users (trust me Japanese people use their phones everywhere, all the time) throughout 10 days.

People using carrier-tied flip phones (and surfing the net/watching TV on the metro)? Almost everybody man.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    For that matter, not many people use iPods visibly as well - most are stuck on their handphones or Sonys.

Didn't really spot many Mac users either, and the Windows presence is still pretty much stronger than any evidence of OSX (which is kinda sad, in a way).
  • Reply 57 of 68
    Don't know where you were but I live in Japan (in the boonies) and I see iPhones every day; iPods are everywhere. The report, anyways, is about smartphones, not all cell phones.

As for Windoze, there are quite a few large PC makers in Japan... Macs are catching on, albeit slowly. I see quite a few Mc notebooks around town (two in a coffee shop just this morning; no PCs).
  • Reply 58 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

As for Windoze, there are quite a few large PC makers in Japan... Macs are catching on, albeit slowly. I see quite a few Mc notebooks around town (two in a coffee shop just this morning; no PCs).

Out here in LA you walk into any coffee shop and you?d think that Apple made the only computer and Facebook was the only thing you could do with it. Sometimes I swear I?ve seen 50 open and being used without a single non-Mac in the room.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So what's the reason for "giving them away" in Australia?

Apart from the rather obvious fact that iPhones are comparably priced with any other smartphone on a plan in Australia across all five companies who sell them.

It's called adapting to local market conditions.

Quote:

The phone had been doing very poorly prior to the 3GS release (apple followers will claim otherwise) due to 2 things, overpriced plans (extremely competitive in japan with the 4 carriers) and better phones already there.

They have been giving the 3G away there because sales have been glacial to say the least. A bit of steam picked up for the 3GS...

• Reply 60 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Out here in LA you walk into any coffee shop and you’d think that Apple made the only computer and Facebook was the only thing you could do with it. Sometimes I swear I’ve seen 50 open and being used without a single non-Mac in the room.

Dropped in on our local Starbucks last night (yep we have them here, too) and there were about 20 customers. Three people were working on notebook computers: two MacBook Pros, a MacBook Air, no PCs. Five more people were playing on their cell phones; three were iPhones. Another handful were listening to music; couldn't see what everyone had, but saw an iPod Nano and an iPod Shuffle. And I repeat: I live in the boonies.