iPod touch users slow to upgrade mobile OS - Study

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why is looking at the big picture so difficult for some?

Pot meet kettle

Quote:

If it?s just about getting more profit from paid updates then why doesn?t Apple charge users for their updates? If the accounting model reason is bogus then why are the iPhone and AppleTV even on a different accounting model? I don?t know the answers but if no one can answer those simple questions rationally and objectively then making blanket statements that it?s just about corporate greed makes absolutely no sense since they aren?t doing it across the board.

iPhone - apple collect the fee for the upgrades via their revenue stream.

In terms of the apple tv vs the iPod, it could ultimately depend on what apple believe people will swallow. The upgrade to ATV provided no real gain to the owners, and its unlikely apple would have gotten people to pay for that. If the upgrade provided actual functionality without having to crack, it would be an easier sale.

iPod touch is not in its infancy, adn it has a large collection of people who like to purchase applications, not all owners of course but a large percentage (maybe even 55%). With most applications moving to requiring OS3 for their purchase, Apple has a captive audience that pretty much has to upgrade if they want to purchase new items. If they had an apps store for ATV, I suspect there would be a fee for upgrades.

say 10million ipod touches upgraded at 10$ a head... no profit there
  • Reply 82 of 90
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

In terms of the apple tv vs the iPod, it could ultimately depend on what apple believe people will swallow. The upgrade to ATV provided no real gain to the owners, and its unlikely apple would have gotten people to pay for that. If the upgrade provided actual functionality without having to crack, it would be an easier sale.

iPod touch is not in its infancy, adn it has a large collection of people who like to purchase applications, not all owners of course but a large percentage (maybe even 55%). With most applications moving to requiring OS3 for their purchase, Apple has a captive audience that pretty much has to upgrade if they want to purchase new items. If they had an apps store for ATV, I suspect there would be a fee for upgrades.

A lot of people here talk as if the upgrade fee is new. It's not, it was there from the very beginning. Apple announced the accounting method back in MacWorld 2007 when it first announced the iPhone, Touch and ATV. The consequence would be that upgrades for the iPhone and ATV would be free and upgrades for the Touch would not.

The reason that Apple gave for putting the ATV on subscription accounting rules was that it was a "hobby" that they were going to be experimenting with. They were planning on adding features and did not want to charge for each upgrade while they were experimenting.
  • Reply 83 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

A lot of people here talk as if the upgrade fee is new. It's not, it was there from the very beginning. Apple announced the accounting method back in MacWorld 2007 when it first announced the iPhone, Touch and ATV. The consequence would be that upgrades for the iPhone and ATV would be free and upgrades for the Touch would not.

The reason that Apple gave for putting the ATV on subscription accounting rules was that it was a "hobby" that they were going to be experimenting with. They were planning on adding features and did not want to charge for each upgrade while they were experimenting.

That has to be one of the weakest responses to why Apple is charging Touch users.

If Apple is selling ATV then it is no longer a "hobby".

Apple is making a huge profit off of all of their hardware (maybe not ATV).

They better take Google's example and give upgrades away for free for everyone.

I think Apple can spare the money that the upgrade to the Touch would have cost them.

It's called Greed along with AT&T. Make the money while you can.

I can't believe the shareholder's don't get a dividend on Apple's stock. Steve is just looking for another Billion in profits from Sheep.

Android is on the rise and has about 4 tablets out and, 20K+ apps and will have 50 phones out in 2010.

You are now giving Apple your money paying for Apple Tax & an OS that is on 10% of comuters. Apple is on Intel, as is every other PC and Windows 7 is a huge success. Android is a free mobile OS & Computer OS.

This forum is really reaching for new content. This last week was recycled content and updates nobody cares about.

Edit. Ok "nobody cares my interpretation of the content on this forum" other than MobileMe he's in Apple Worship Heaven.

Hey, solispismmmmm I see you're in the room. I await your 30 page reply to why I'm wrong and then the breakdown from the 100's of poster in this forum and your reply to every response in a single posting "quoting each one with your response".
  • Reply 84 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

That has to be one of the weakest responses to why Apple is charging Touch users.

You are now giving Apple your money paying for Apple Tax & an OS that is on 10% of comuters. Apple is on Intel, as is every other PC and Windows 7 is a huge success. Android is a free mobile OS & Computer OS

As free as is radio.And we know that it isn't.

Perhaps you should be as philanthropic as Google. Write a program and give it away free and everytime somebody opens it you get a penny from some company for looking at their commercial.

Boy, isn't ignorance bliss?
  • Reply 85 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As free as is radio.And we know that it isn't.

Perhaps you should be as philanthropic as Google. Write a program and give it away free and everytime somebody opens it you get a penny from some company for looking at their commercial.

Boy, isn't ignorance bliss?

As angry as he comes across it appears that ignorance and bliss are not always in chorus.
  • Reply 86 of 90
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why is looking at the big picture so difficult for some? If it’s just about getting more profit from paid updates then why doesn’t Apple charge users for their updates? If the accounting model reason is bogus then why are the iPhone and AppleTV even on a different accounting model? I don’t know the answers but if no one can answer those simple questions rationally and objectively then making blanket statements that it’s just about corporate greed makes absolutely no sense since they aren’t doing it across the board.

ok, if it is an US accounting rule, then why are they charging the fee outside the US where this accounting rule has no effect?
  • Reply 87 of 90
    Quote:

If Apple is selling ATV then it is no longer a "hobby".

It's actually still a hobby STEVE SAYS SO

http://newteevee.com/2009/01/21/appl...s-hobby-horse/

http://www.redherring.com/Home/25300

Quote:

Android is on the rise and has about 4 tablets out and, 20K+ apps and will have 50 phones out in 2010.

Dont make me laugh

Quote:

You are now giving Apple your money paying for Apple Tax & an OS that is on 10% of comuters. Apple is on Intel, as is every other PC and Windows 7 is a huge success. Android is a free mobile OS & Computer OS.

You sound like this idot making a comment like that

But as you see even this idiot LOVES OUR iPhone & Apple products

Quote:

Edit. Ok "nobody cares my interpretation of the content on this forum" other than MobileMe he's in Apple Worship Heaven.

" What do I do next oh 1 infinite Loop?!......Your Steve-ness guide me" ... Not quite, but pretty close though.
  • Reply 88 of 90
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    A study shows? Who wasted time/money studying this?

What does it cost to own an iPod touch for a year?

What does it cost to own an iPhone for a year?

STFU and pay the $9.95
  • Reply 89 of 90
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    command + z ?
  • Reply 90 of 90
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

ok, if it is an US accounting rule, then why are they charging the fee outside the US where this accounting rule has no effect?

So outside the US Apple doesn't have to pay attention to US accounting laws?

Fascinating....