Supplier rumored to provide 5MP iPhone camera upgrade in 2010

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I would like to see what is considered nice picture in a dark club. A flash in a dark room essentially produces a washed out picture. There are some sensors that can capture a picture in extreme low light conditions but there are trade offs for everything. The best way to take a nice picture is to have proper ambient lighting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Who cares about pixels. How about a sensor that does a decent job in low-light situations? I'm tired of being at clubs and watch everyone else take nice pictures with their cell phones and all I can get is dark blurry faces...

• Reply 22 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

However, the public are idiots and will continue to beg for more pixels, so that's what Apple will be forced to deliver or risk being perceived as falling behind.

I agree with the idiots part. Most camera users in general don't know an F-stop from a pixel. Apple can deal with this in a couple ofvways one being educational marketing and two would be to sell a cell phone where the built in camera is less than an after thought.

In this thread many have already highlighted the technical issues with respect to sensor and optics but one thing that is missed is the "shutter release". I submit that the silly touch release mechanism is a huge factor in the marginal quality of iPhone cameras. A steady camera means sharper pictures. In the case of iPhone the shake is so bad that it is not likely that stabilization techniques would help.

The other problem here is Apples thin cases. There is only so much that can go into a few mm of hieght. Apple needs to think seriosly about this.

Dave
  • Reply 23 of 29
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So would I, the effective range of the LED's that are used as "flashes" in most phone camera's is around 1 metre (yard), if you want the same functionality a $2 LED torch will do the trick.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I would like to see what is considered nice picture in a dark club. A flash in a dark room essentially produces a washed out picture. There are some sensors that can capture a picture in extreme low light conditions but there are trade offs for everything. The best way to take a nice picture is to have proper ambient lighting.

• Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

$2 LED torch will do the trick.

Most of us typically leave our flashlights at home.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bennett View Post

Unfortunately, even with 25 megapixels you won't be able to make 8x10 prints, or crop and make 4x6 prints, because the lens is about 1mm in diameter and there's just no way for it to resolve more than about 2 megapixels of detail, at the absolute best.

Every time they bump up the resolution of the camera, it doesn't make the pictures sharper, it just takes up more space on the camera and more memory in your picture editing apps.

Given that a larger lens would ruin the aesthetics of the phone, you're much better off wishing for a sensor with lower noise, so that less of the resolution is lost to fuzz in low light.

great first post

is that you TS ??
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

I wouldn't mind a front-facing camera for wifi video iChatting.

you just crashed the whole ATT net work
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Most of us typically leave our flashlights at home.

priceless
  • Reply 28 of 29
    I work in a mobile phone dealership, and the iPhone is slowly becoming a joke.

I FREAKING LOVE my iPhone, but with no videocall & a SHOITE camera with no flash, our iPhone sales have gone through the floor.

Customers laugh at the suggestion of an iPhone now, even though the software far surpasses the functionality and ease of use of any other manufacturer.

The hardware is embarrassing, and 5MP will NOT cut the mustard.

Cheapo PAYG mobiles have 5MP cameras. NOT high-end handsets. =(

Sad times.