Apple also behind Slate Computing, filings suggest

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I’d like to see a pic of that board with OS X written in chalk all over it. Can that be faked in Photoshop?

How 'bout this?

• Reply 42 of 57
    American usage of ‘slate’ as a verb:
    ‘This product is slated to be released in January.’ (= planned)
    British usage of ‘slate’ as a verb:
    ‘The product released in November was slated by the press.’ (= panned)
    The ‘i’ in ‘iSlate’ just invites me to read it as ‘I slate …’, and as I’m from the UK, that has negative connotations for me. I can see the headlines, especially from the MS-oriented press. With a product name like this (which I suspect is nothing more than a rumour – like the product itself at the moment), Apple’s position in the UK computer market would seem increasingly iS’lated.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    How about Slate book?
  • Reply 44 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

How 'bout this?

Do you shake to erase AND charge?
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:

Etch-a-Mac?
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Wow. Such corporate intrigue! Worthy of a Bond movie.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

How about iNook?

How about Nooki? Everybody needs some ...
  • Reply 48 of 57
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Etch-a-Mac?

• Reply 49 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

islate is growing on me very fast.. it sounds catchy but I wouldn't naturally assume its a tablet computer. I'm still wondering what the final name will be..and also what in the world a magic slate could be named after??

I'd bet MacTablet. Straightforward and a good way to use the tablet's inevitable success to market the Mac brand.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Etch-a-Mac?

Heh. Don't force me to do another Photochop.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

How about Nooki? Everybody needs some ...

Gizmodo featured that a few weeks ago in one of their contests:

http://gizmodo.com/5426981/one-lette...ery/gallery/19
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Back in the 80's/90's there was a company called Slate that created applications for GO's PenPoint OS. Not sure if it is the same company, but it would certainly add a little synergy a software developer for arguably the first tablet computer now used as the name for Apple's future tablet.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Personally, I don't see this islate type product being a big hit. Who the heck wants to use a touch screen all the time when it's way faster to type using a keyboard (having the ability to enter text via a real keyboard would be a plus IMO)? Plus the screen gets smudgy from your fingers.

If this thing is real and Apple releases it, I think it'll be about as successful as the apple tv.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    It's not about it being a word processor, I don't think. Though, we may be surprised at how well it does text input...

I think it will be a jack of all trades media viewer.

Games, e-book, web, email, light word processing, movies, music...skype maybe...photos...

It's 'just' a giant iPod Touch so far. But that being so...I can see the potential for it to be so much more and bury the 'netbook' competition...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    I don't doubt that we may be able to use that new wireless mini-me Apple k/b with it if the iSlate has blue tooth...

Dock it and you have a 'desktop replacement.'

We'll have to see, I guess. But I'd say we'd have the choice of virtual on the move and either when at home.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DezBunnie View Post

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/tr...tIndexOnPage=1

Ipad

its so simple.

Don't laugh--you may have just found the real name for Apple's tablet computer. Since Slate Computing--a "shell" company supposedly owned by Apple that has the both the iSlate and iPad trademarks--the possibility of the device using the name iPad isn't so far fetched.