Next-Gen Macbook Pros?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know apple just updated their MBP line in October, but I am ready to purchase a new MBP since i got a lot of cash after christmas, and was wondering if Apple usually bumps up their specs at macworld. I think they bumped their specs last february but not entirely sure, anyone have any ideas??



im looking to currently buy the 15" 2.53ghz model, just not sure if i should wait a month or two or if this current model will be around for a while?



Thanks!
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post


    I know apple just updated their MBP line in October, but I am ready to purchase a new MBP since i got a lot of cash after christmas, and was wondering if Apple usually bumps up their specs at macworld. I think they bumped their specs last february but not entirely sure, anyone have any ideas??



    im looking to currently buy the 15" 2.53ghz model, just not sure if i should wait a month or two or if this current model will be around for a while?



    Thanks!



    Definitely wait. January refresh is a strong possibility. The MacBook Pros (15" and 17") haven't seen a significant improvement in almost a year. Quad-cores as either standard or an option is an almost certainty in order to maintain their competitiveness with PC brands offering quads.



    Buyers Guide reports a "Don't buy: Updates Soon". So definitely wait. Nothing worse than getting burned by Apple's product cycle...



    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
  • Reply 2 of 21
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 114member
    Wait to buy. The next 15/17 MBP refresh is right around the corner and it promises to be a significant step up from the current offerings.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    How soon do u guys think..January February?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    I am waiting for two reasons:
    1. Would love to see the matte display come to the 13" macbook pro.

    2. May be able to get a deal on the current models if a new one comes out.

    The 13" Macbook Pro is the ideal form factor for me. I just can't buy a laptop with a glossy display. If nothing happens in Jan/Feb, I will probably get the 13" and send it to tech restore to have the screen swapped.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    i have no problem waiting, i just really dont want to wait more than a month as school starts at the end of january and need a laptop.



    I heard apple is having their event on the 26th, but rumors are for the tablet computer. I also hear theyre realing a new intel chip...but not quite sure if anything is coming for the MBP or not =/
  • Reply 6 of 21
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post


    i have no problem waiting, i just really dont want to wait more than a month as school starts at the end of january and need a laptop.



    I heard apple is having their event on the 26th, but rumors are for the tablet computer. I also hear theyre realing a new intel chip...but not quite sure if anything is coming for the MBP or not =/



    The thing to keep in mind is that no body here really knows a thing. However I have to concur with all the educated guesses above - Wait! Some of the laptops are long over due for an upgrade. Second new Intel hardware debuts in a few days that could very well go into these machines. Third ATI has some interesting GPUs that potentially will make it into the portables. And lastly new Mac Books mean getting the old one heavily discounted as Apple clears inventory. So you win even if the new machines are to rich for your wallet. The only bad thing here is that the 26th is cutting it kinda close to your need by date.



    I'm also in agreement with many above that the rev when it comes could be very significant. That is saying alot because the current MBP are pretty good. At the low end expect far better battery lifetimes and at the high end a big performance jump.







    Dave
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post


    i have no problem waiting, i just really dont want to wait more than a month as school starts at the end of january and need a laptop.



    I heard apple is having their event on the 26th, but rumors are for the tablet computer. I also hear theyre realing a new intel chip...but not quite sure if anything is coming for the MBP or not =/



    Early January get a refurbished MacBook Pro. Then you got time to see what happens, sell your refurbished laptop a few months later. There could be a tablet, could be Core i3/i5 MacBook Pros with ATI 5-series 40nm graphics, there could be none of that.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I'd like to see:



    support for USB 3



    an even longer lasting battery



    larger SSD drive as an option, at a reasonable price
  • Reply 9 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCP21 View Post


    rumours say 26th january remeber the only rumours



    Sure hope so! I'm going to need to buy one in the next month or two. That's about my max timeframe and I know they're on a roughly 6-month cycle, give or take a few sometimes. So ya'll think along with new tables are new MBPs? Or at least by the end of February if the Jan. event doesn't bring us MBP updates?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Early January get a refurbished MacBook Pro. Then you got time to see what happens, sell your refurbished laptop a few months later. There could be a tablet, could be Core i3/i5 MacBook Pros with ATI 5-series 40nm graphics, there could be none of that.



    Hmm...switching to Core i3/i5 and ATI graphics seems to put Apple in a difficult position. Is the integrated graphics in the Core i3/i5 chips going to play nice with the ATI discrete graphics? CrossFire is out of the question, but maybe switchable graphics is still possible? Hopefully the integrated graphics in the CPU won't just be sitting there wasting power. Or perhaps Apple can use their clout to negotiate Intel to produce Core i3/i5 chips without integrated graphics especially for them.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post


    Hmm...switching to Core i3/i5 and ATI graphics seems to put Apple in a difficult position. Is the integrated graphics in the Core i3/i5 chips going to play nice with the ATI discrete graphics? CrossFire is out of the question, but maybe switchable graphics is still possible? Hopefully the integrated graphics in the CPU won't just be sitting there wasting power. Or perhaps Apple can use their clout to negotiate Intel to produce Core i3/i5 chips without integrated graphics especially for them.



    I have heard the rumors that a GPU free Arrandale is in the works. The mist obvious reason would be that intels GPU sucks. Not just because of three D but also due to power usage and the chip being useless for OpenCL. All indications are that it would end up simply sitting there wasting power.



    The big question then becomes what does that Arrandale processor now look like. That is will there be enough PCI Epress slots to implement what Apple needs. Apples alternative would be to go all AMD, which would be OK except for power usage.



    The likely solution is a GPU free Arrandale tied to an ATI discreet GPU. This could actually be a very sweet combo as both chips are bleeding edge low power designs that give up little in performance for that low power feature. Plus NVidia has slipped their next gen hardware so Apple has little choice.



    Remember this is all ARM chair engineering, nobody knows for sure what Apple will do. The only thing we can say for sure is that intels GPU won't live up to expectations. So Apple needs an approach that deals with that.



    Also note that the 17" MBP is well overdue for a performance overhaul. The October rev to the MBPs did nothing but make them look shinny for Christmass shoppers.





    Dave
  • Reply 12 of 21
    solareinsolarein Posts: 143member
    It looks like Lenovo, Sony, HP, Dell, Toshiba, and Gateway have each released information regarding their upcoming Arrandale Core i3/i5/i7-based notebooks ahead of schedule. Can the new MB/MBPs be far behind?



    Notably, the new ThinkPad T410s will have switchable graphics, with integrated Intel graphics in the Core i5 plus a yet unreleased nvidia discrete chip. So it looks like a GPU-less Arrandale may not be necessary after all, the integrated Intel graphics in Arrandale can play nice with discrete nvidia/ATI GPUs. One only hopes that Apple figures out how to patch OS X to make this work, preferably with instant switching that does not require logging out/back in.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Does apple always have a big media event when they refresh their products? I know they are having an event in January for the tablet. I wonder if they will want to keep that strictly tablet focused or include other product updates?



    I am having a hard time not pulling the trigger on a new macbook pro...
  • Reply 14 of 21
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    I would not expect a minor internal update to the MacBook Pro would get a mention.



    But is not the MacBook Air long overdue for an overhaul.

    It still has a trackpad button for goodness sake!



    C.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    My work computer definitely needs to be upgraded (AL 2.4 CD2). I hope the update comes this quarter. Here's what I'm looking for:
    • 2.53GHz+ Arrandale

    • up to 8GB RAM with a max of 16GB

    • Superior graphics to my 8600M

    Anything else would be gravy. I think that is pretty reasonable.



    What I'd like to see:
    • larger trackpad

    • USB3

    • touch screen

  • Reply 16 of 21
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post


    I would not expect a minor internal update to the MacBook Pro would get a mention.



    The MBPs are long over due for an overhaul. The last round did nothing significant for them. Of course any MBP upgrade will be over shadowed by a tablet but you can't build a show on one device.

    Quote:



    But is not the MacBook Air long overdue for an overhaul.



    Overhaul maybe the trash heap more likely. Even if the AIR got overhauled this month I'm not convinced Apple could turn around the publics perception of the device. They would be better off completely refactoring the machine and come up with a new name for it.

    Quote:

    It still has a trackpad button for goodness sake!



    C.



    Hey the good part here is that you only have a couple of weeks wait to see what comes out. As a side not there are a couple of Arrandales that might be low power enough to go into the AIR. I'm concerned though that the performance gain won't be there due to the very low clock rates.



    In every MBP case though you have to look at Arrandale and it's built in GPU and how Apple will deal with it. Apple might simply skip this round and wait for the new improved Arrandales that are suppossedly coming out. For the 17" machine they might skip Arrandale completely.



    Speculation of course so hang tight, in 22 days or so we should have an idea as to what is up.







    Dave
  • Reply 17 of 21
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,393member
    I'd be interested to see if these new MBP's have the new Intel chip with the integrated memory controller (I think from the nehalem series).
  • Reply 18 of 21
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    Overhaul maybe the trash heap more likely. Even if the AIR got overhauled this month I'm not convinced Apple could turn around the publics perception of the device.



    Really?



    For writers, the MBA is still the perfect device.



    Me, I got a 15MBP - thinking I needed the GPU.



    Turns out I don't. I find it's sheer bulk a permanent annoyance. I don't need a stupid optical drive. It's not 1999 anymore. My movies are all on a Drobo now.



    I'd be delighted to see the MBA updated.



    C.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    i will get my mbp 17" after 1/27.. i want to see if apple going to release i5/i7 mbp on that day first
  • Reply 20 of 21
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post


    Really?



    For writers, the MBA is still the perfect device.



    We could debate that, but I don't think you would see my points. Mainly because there is no such thing as a perfect device. By calling AIR perfect you demonstrate that you are already biased.

    Quote:



    Me, I got a 15MBP - thinking I needed the GPU.



    You might. Infact if your AIR has a 9400m in it, the system is using that GPU more than you might realize. The point is Apple is making greater use of the GPUs in every OS revision. As a user you may never know when that GPU is having a significant impact on performance.



    The reality is that when Apple went with the 9400m the AIR gained capabilities the slow i86 wasn't capable of delivering.

    Quote:



    Turns out I don't. I find it's sheer bulk a permanent annoyance. I don't need a stupid optical drive. It's not 1999 anymore. My movies are all on a Drobo now.



    What bulk? The AIR and the MBP are practically the same size. As to the optical drive I tend to agree. Not because of bulk but rather the space could better be used by more storage devices with an eye on SSD.



    Drobos are very interesting but that is not a backup. Of coused optical drives these days aren't either.

    Quote:



    I'd be delighted to see the MBA updated.



    So would I. Especially if they address the AIRs notable short comings. My gut feeling is that this won't happen in a satisfactory manner. In fact I could see Apple taking a step backwards to integrated intel graphics.

    Quote:



    C.



    Look at it this way I know there are a small minority of people that groove with AIR. That is realitiy but I don't think it is enough people to drive sales significantly. That is a flop in my dictionary. In the end I'm completely convinced that AIR is design winning over form and function.







    Dave
Sign In or Register to comment.