Apple refuses to return repaired iPhone to owner

Comments

• Reply 141 of 189
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hvance View Post

Apple should be caned for this behavior

What behavior? Good corporate policy and common sense?

Quote:

This person should get a new phone immediately with an apology from Steve Jobs.

Why either of these? Apple did not cause her to lose her phone or get it stolen.
  • Reply 142 of 189
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So Apple should disregard THE LAW and just make up their own rules, while we're at it why not get rid of the legal system altogether and hand it over to large corporations.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hvance View Post

Apple should be caned for this behavior. Where is common sense? This person should get a new phone immediately with an apology from Steve Jobs.

• Reply 143 of 189
    atkinsatkins Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Okay.

With two people holding out that they own it, it would take a court to decide who owns it, not Apple/ATT.

But since it was not even important enough to file a report, why is this even a story?

Exactly. Everything is in fact pretty clear here. They just count on people not knowing what is really going on.
  • Reply 144 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So Apple US services the computers for Apple Canada? If so lucky you. I have had Apple computers serviced in two different countries, and know of people getting Apple products serviced in other countries, if the level of service we were provided is the best in the industry, then the industry is in a pretty bad way.

And what un-refutable evidence do you have that proves that the service levels in Canada are exactly the same as provided in the US?

Again, you are a piece of work. Where are you going exactly with this? The article is about a person living in the US (New York). You state that she received bad customer service. It is only logical then to get an answer with US numbers.

And I don't see how Apple gave bad service. They just did what they must do. You didn't think they have enough lawyers to tell them how to handle this kind of situation? Maybe you think that Apple should play police, look at the "evidence" and hand over the Iphone back to her? This would be good customer service? Wake up.
  • Reply 145 of 189
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atkins View Post

Again, you are a piece of work. Where are you going exactly with this? The article is about a person living in the US (New York). You state that she received bad customer service. It is only logical then to get an answer with US numbers.

And I don't see how Apple gave bad service. They just did what they must do. You didn't think they have enough lawyers to tell them how to handle this kind of situation? Maybe you think that Apple should play police, look at the "evidence" and hand over the Iphone back to her? This would be good customer service? Wake up.

Again, learn to read. Someone made a general statement in the course of this discussion, I questioned this statement, it doesn't matter what the original topic was about, I questioned the statement made. This is where I am going with this, not hard to follow, let me know if I have to type this slower for you next time.
  • Reply 146 of 189
    Quote:

Again, learn to read. Someone made a general statement in the course of this discussion, I questioned this statement, it doesn't matter what the original topic was about, I questioned the statement made. This is where I am going with this, not hard to follow, let me know if I have to type this slower for you next time.

Ok. First, I don't understand why should the Apple customer service change from one country to another.

Here is a study for canadian cellphone users (sorry, in french), which classes Apple's support as the best (of course we are speaking only about the Iphone, but I absolutely do not see why it would be much different for the comps:

http://biz.branchez-vous.com/communi...es_115891.html

Here is another study made in England:

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2006/09/...r-survey-95057

Apple's website in France is also first (again in french):

http://www.directpanel.com/fichiers/...rce_270409.pdf

While I do understand that these numbers are not enough for an exact representation of the customers, it surely does indicate something (especially in the light of the US studies): that they are quite satisfied in general. I think it is quite safe to assume that Apple has the best customer service in the industry.
  • Reply 147 of 189
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VTrain View Post

Apple has no legal right or ability to seize property from someone who is in possession of a product, whether it is stolen or not. They are not the government.

And this must piss Jobs off to no end...
  • Reply 148 of 189
    bryandbryand Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

I don't know why AppleInsider decided to run this article. It's so full of holes. The victim made her own choices about how she handled the situation. Why place the blame on Apple and AT&T?

Are you nuts? She called the police.They talked to her and helped her try to locate the thief. Where I come from, that is filing a police report. Besides, anyone can fraudulently file a police report if that is their concern. Apple is aiding and abetting a theft.

About six years ago, I had a brand new iMac G4 stolen (it was about a week old). I reported the break in to the police and my insurance and bought a new G4 right away. I bought the Applecare extended warranty with both computers.

Later when I called Apple for help with a problem with the second computer, I was asked which one I was calling about. At that time, I told them that the older one had been stolen and asked if they could contact me if anyone called apple support about the stolen computer. I was told they couldn't do that.

All I asked them to do was make a note on the file that the first computer was stolen so that they could help catch a thief and they refused. I don't know what it is with Apple, but they do seem to favour criminals over their paying customers.
  • Reply 149 of 189
    bryandbryand Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drow View Post

look, there's an ESTABLISHED and LEGAL procedure to handle this case.

FILE A GAWDSDAMNED POLICE REPORT.

original sales receipt only proves that you purchased it.

proof of payment of the associated phone contract only proves that you're a flippin idiot.

The article clearly states that the police were called and that they took enough information to verify the owner's story. That is making a police report. Why are you favouring the thief in this story? Are you a criminal yourself?
  • Reply 150 of 189
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    This is how it works in Australia.

-An iPhone is stolen from you.

-You call the police they give you an event number in order to complete the police report you need to supply them with the IMEI number, if you don't know it offhand you can supply it later, using the event number.

-The IMEI is supplied to all phone networks who are required by law to block the IMEI so the phone is unusable, maybe you American's should lobby the FCC into doing this rather than fartarsing about with what goes into the App store.

-The event number is used as the basis for making an insurance claim.

-Repairs, whether warranty or otherwise are not accepted by our repair centres without a valid receipt, perhaps Apple goes beyond this by not requiring a receipt but all other phone manufacturers require it.

Further to the IMEI blocking issue, the only person who can unblock an IMEI is the original owner who supplied the report.

Apple is bound by privacy laws, by law they are not allowed to divulge personal details of people who make warranty claims without that person's specific permission.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryand View Post

The article clearly states that the police were called and that they took enough information to verify the owner's story. That is making a police report. Why are you favouring the thief in this story? Are you a criminal yourself?

• Reply 151 of 189
    Quote:

Ok. First, I don't understand why should the Apple customer service change from one country to another.

Here is a study for canadian cellphone users (sorry, in french), which classes Apple's support as the best (of course we are speaking only about the Iphone, but I absolutely do not see why it would be much different for the comps:

http://biz.branchez-vous.com/communi...es_115891.html

The study in english is four years old, nothing newer? But then again, I don't live in England, Canada, or France, but I do know the three countries you listed all have services centres run directly by Apple. Other parts of Europe don't, and are serviced very differently.

Quote:

While I do understand that these numbers are not enough for an exact representation of the customers, it surely does indicate something (especially in the light of the US studies): that they are quite satisfied in general. I think it is quite safe to assume that Apple has the best customer service in the industry.

It isn't safe to assume anything.
  • Reply 152 of 189
    Quote:

The study in english is four years old, nothing newer? But then again, I don't live in England, Canada, or France, but I do know the three countries you listed all have services centres run directly by Apple. Other parts of Europe don't, and are serviced very differently.

It isn't safe to assume anything.

Ok, agreed, it isn't safe to assume anything. But he gave an opinion stating that Apple has the best service in the industry and given the... some numbers I could find and of course some personal experience, it is easier to agree with him.

What problems did you have with Apple to be so pissed about them? I mean, I had some minor issues, but at the end no other company gave me the same support (especially Sony and Dell).

Anyway I have a question. You said that what happened to the girl in the article was bad service from Apple. Can you tell me what precisely do you mean and what do you think Apple should do?
  • Reply 153 of 189
    Quote:

All I asked them to do was make a note on the file that the first computer was stolen so that they could help catch a thief and they refused. I don't know what it is with Apple, but they do seem to favour criminals over their paying customers.

Apple can't do this. First they don't have this kind of registry (stolen goods) and they aren't supposed to. Second why should Apple believe you? Maybe you have the proof of ownership, maybe it is false, maybe you don't have it, it isn't Apple's job to try to find the truth. You give the serial number to the police and the police can ask of Apple to do something. That is just how it works.
  • Reply 154 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alisax View Post

I'm the Alisa of this story. I would like to make it clear that I DO HAVE A POLICE REPORT. -- Shortly after I sent Consumerist my email, i realized that I was wrong in assuming that it would be obvious that i filed a police report once the police told me they couldn't do anything since i didn't have one. For what ever reason consumerist didn't edit that post to state this information. So even with a police report Apple still refuses to do anything. I am now working with a lawyer to see what my options are legally.

Thanks

I don't see how Apple is the problem. They must do the repair, this is their obligation and even the thief can sue them for not doing that. You filed a police report and the police then can ask Apple for the identity of the person and you can sue him. It is either that or there is some missing information.
  • Reply 155 of 189
    Quote:

Ok, agreed, it isn't safe to assume anything. But he gave an opinion stating that Apple has the best service in the industry and given the... some numbers I could find and of course some personal experience, it is easier to agree with him.

What problems did you have with Apple to be so pissed about them? I mean, I had some minor issues, but at the end no other company gave me the same support (especially Sony and Dell).

I have had half my Macs fail, and in both cases, in two different countries I believe the service was very poor. I would like to compare it to another company, but I haven't had anything else (big ticket items) fail recently to do so.

Quote:

Anyway I have a question. You said that what happened to the girl in the article was bad service from Apple. Can you tell me what precisely do you mean and what do you think Apple should do?

I have a short memory, when did I say that?
  • Reply 156 of 189
    Quote:

I have had half my Macs fail, and in both cases, in two different countries I believe the service was very poor. I would like to compare it to another company, but I haven't had anything else (big ticket items) fail recently to do so.

I have a short memory, when did I say that?

OOps, sorry. Mistake, my bad. Wrong comment.

Half of your macs failed? Wow, I had a lot of macs, the last 4 years I change them every 6 months. Only two problems I had were a disk failure in a Performa and DVD writer in the G5. Since then the worst was an occasionally noisy fan in a Macbook Pro.

Tell me a little about your problems, I am really interested. (no irony here, just in case).
  • Reply 157 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alisax View Post

A)I have a police report

B) apple never said "not with out a police report".. in fact they never asked for one. I told them there is a report and the answer I got was: We believe you and we're sorry that you were robbed but we don't really care.

C) I dont blame Apple for not giving me back the phone, I get that they have policies..but I don't think its unreasonable to change the policies considering the situation. I'm sure plenty of stolen iPhones have made their way through Apple at one point or another. It really cant be that difficult to flag a serial number that has been proven stolen (via whatever the deem to be valid proof) And set up some sort of procedure to deal with this, especially since neither Apple or AT&T offers insurance.

If you're the person from the story, your response here is JUST as inconsistent as your story to Apple, and you would appear to me... to be wasting their time, and asking THEM to go out on a limb to help you, when you did not help yourself. For instance, this WHOLE PARAGRAPH in the article is a justification that should never have been made. Reread it...

Quote:

I'm so excited that I can get my phone back! Until the cops arrive at my house, they tell me that since I didn't file a police report they can't do anything. I didn’t file it because in order to file one, I would have had to go to a precinct downtown (like an hour away) look through books of pictures to try to ID the thief, whose face I only saw from the side for a millisecond. And really, what would a police report do for an iPhone that was stolen on a NYC subway a week before Christmas?

You clearly noted that a police report was a pain to go through, so that's why you never filed one. Above, you say "I have a police report"... which makes me think that you have a document that confirms that the police arrived at your house, documenting that you alleged a robbery. I question whether you're saying that you filed a report of a robbery, and whether you went down to the precinct and tried to identify the thief, etc.

Here's a quick test. Let's pretend Apple was an insurance company looking to reimburse you for stolen property. What would THEY need to prove you owned and lost property? A police report. This is what you lead off with with Apple (don't even get AT&T involved). If you lead off with some convoluted story about how you didn't have a police report, but now you kind of have one, and what's the difference, because your name is on the warranty... and here's a cop telling you I had my iPhone stolen... Come on.

Here's what you say:

1.) YOU: Hello. Recently I received an update that my iPhone was in for warranty repair. This phone was in fact reported stolen a week before Christmas. I have a police report that was filed, which I can fax along with my photo id, original receipt, AT&T bill and warranty information. Is there anything else you need in order for me to re-acquire my phone?

2.) APPLE CS: Hold on.

3.) APPLE CS: I'm sorry, I'm not sure we can help you.

4.) YOU: I need to speak to your manager.

5.) YOU: Hello. Recently I received an update that my iPhone was in for warranty repair. This phone was in fact reported stolen on Christmas day. I have a police report that was filed, which I can fax along with my photo id, original receipt, and AT&T bill and warranty information. Is there anything else you need in order for me to re-acquire my phone?

6.) APPLE CS: Ok, sorry for your trouble. Yes, that sounds perfectly fine. Please fax this information to our customer support fax number at 781-555-6667. We will need to confirm the police report you send with the local precinct. Also, we would still need to send the repaired phone back to the New York Apple store, but we will require photo id before it can be picked up.

7.) YOU: Sounds good.

DONE.

I can promise you the story would have ended differently if you just followed the steps above. Live and learn.

If the "thief" or someone they sold it to ever showed up at the Apple store to pick it up?

1.) Hi, I'm here about my iPhone. I send it into repair two weeks ago, but I haven't heard back.

2.) Hold on.

3.) Ok, I'm sorry, but that device was reported stolen. We can give you the precinct the police report was filed at for more information.

4.) W-what? But I got that iPhone for Christmas from my boyfriend!

5.) I'm sorry, we can't help you.

6.) This is OUTRAGEOUS!

7.) Sorry.

~ CB
  • Reply 158 of 189
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Slow news day?

This article sounds more like gossip than real news. I wonder if it is even real.

This story is bull. It sounds like someone has been watching too much TV. The cops are going to come to someone's house over a phone? Right.
  • Reply 159 of 189
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

The article clearly states that the police were called and that they took enough information to verify the owner's story. That is making a police report.

No. The article also states that AT&T could not help her because she did not have a police report. Or if she had one it was never used. AT&T asked for one, yet this AlisaX individual (troll) claims she had one but Apple apparently refused it?

Someone is either lying or has a bad memory. Don't get sucked in by the BS.

Quote:

OOps, sorry. Mistake, my bad. Wrong comment.

Half of your macs failed? Wow, I had a lot of macs, the last 4 years I change them every 6 months. Only two problems I had were a disk failure in a Performa and DVD writer in the G5. Since then the worst was an occasionally noisy fan in a Macbook Pro.

Tell me a little about your problems, I am really interested. (no irony here, just in case).

Let's not feed the TROLL.
  • Reply 160 of 189
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    You can't just say something was stolen, even if it truly was, and expect to get it back. Think of how easily this could be abused by ex-spouses, or any individual with an ax to grind for that matter.

The bottom line is that it's not any of Apple's business to decide the "facts" of the case. Apple will gladly hand over any piece of equipment over to the police if and when they show up to get it.

Call the cops. If they determine you are the rightful owner, they'll go get it back for you. End of story.