Apple announces App Store downloads top 3 billion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Mobile Me is like Techstud on acid!

How?.... Teckstud is banned FOREVER and all he was IMO was a successful Troll in these forums and he particularly enjoyed being a pest to SOLIPSISM . How a guy like that can post some 6,000 times and not be banned is beyond me.

I just love Apple and they do no wrong
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

For those interested and previously posted, CNBC is showing a documentary on 'Apps' this week, as well as other interesting subjects.

For all of you Google fanboys , who believe Google should be able to go anywhere and do anything... you might watch this show. It's a great mix of why Google is great and why they might know too much about us.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,295member
    I wonder which will be the bigger story: the Google phone, or three BILLION iPhone apps?
  • Reply 24 of 52
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

How?.... Teckstud is banned FOREVER and all he was IMO was a successful Troll in these forums and he particularly enjoyed being a pest to SOLIPSISM . How a guy like that can post some 6,000 times and not be banned is beyond me.

The mods were quite forgiving, and it goes to show how liberal and generous this environment is in terms of allowable speech.

It's no credit to Teckstud, but a credit to the mods and the site's owner(s). My hat's off to them for putting up with it as long as they did.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I wonder which will be the bigger story: the Google phone, or three BILLION iPhone apps?

Google Phone, but only a for a short while, once everyone realizes it aint no iPhone.

App Store success, while impressive to say the least, is no longer really news. Apple has proven itself and its business model beyond any doubt. The Next Big Thing will be the Tablet.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday revealed that more than 3 billion applications have been downloaded worldwide from its App Store for the iPhone and iPod touch.

If this doesn't explain Apple's purchase of Quattro Wireless, I don't know what would.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The mods were quite forgiving, and it goes to show how liberal and generous this environment is in terms of allowable speech.

It's no credit to Teckstud, but a credit to the mods and the site's owner(s). My hat's off to them for putting up with it as long as they did.

Google Phone, but only a for a short while, once everyone realizes it aint no iPhone.

App Store success, while impressive to say the least, is no longer really news. Apple has proven itself and its business model beyond any doubt. The Next Big Thing will be the Tablet.

Yeah your right, the moderators and owner gave him about 6,000 chances to get it right before giving him the boot.

True also about the Apple success, I posted on MacRumors (user name is iDisk) and in reality this is normal for Apple, why do I expect less. After the New Mac Pro's arrive and Tablet I'm going to do a complete overhaul with my mobile lifestyle.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

Like him on acid, as in the total opposite. Maybe too much opposite, like you are on acid!
  • Reply 28 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

The Google phone is a way bigger story.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:

Like him on acid, as in the total opposite. Maybe too much opposite, like you are on acid!

Aww Thanks Ireland.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    The only thing that popped into my mind on this news was;

The McDonalds sign with "over 50 Billion Served." Well, they used to have it. Now it might be a Trillion, and I'm guessing they found that might be fairly disturbing to anyone with an inclination towards math -- because it would seem omnipresent -- like you go to Aruba and there's a MIcky-D's spoiling the view.

But certainly, if you serve a Trillion Hamburgers -- then at some point, that burger has gone through the "Circle of Life" and landed on your plate again -- if you know what I mean...

So maybe, some of us have downloaded an app more than once -- because we've got iTunes syncing on a PC, a Mac and a Mac (not a Big Mac). Mac people, tend to have more than one computer and one girl friend (shhh! -- we don't want to get this TOO POPULAR). And this will of course, be FOOD FOR THOUGHT for the Rob Enderle Group who can put 2 & 2 together (because the GROUP, includes his dog and his wife -- so that means a collection of 60 fingers and toes -- or maybe 58 toes because some breeds of dogs don't have 5 toes on the front paw -- but don't ask for him to put 70 & 70 together, his Group is NOT THAT BIG).

Well Rob will tell you that a lot of apps are recycled, and also, a button for the color BLUE. That is, when he's not saying Apple will collapse because they are so mean to developers, they kick them out when they stuff the storefront with $1000 single button apps and redundant apps that aren't cool. Does Macy's HAVE TO SELL your panty hose Rob? I suppose they will go out of business if they don't sell every flavor of edible t-shirt....

It's only a matter of time until Apple hits the "Trillion Sold" mark, and then quits bragging about how many are sold, because you've got their t-shirt, the iBrain, and the matching holographic tattoo that displays a dancing mascot for the Apple Football Team. THAT sort of Omnipresence will spell doom, as soon as they own like half of Wall Street. So SELL THAT STOCK. At least before it splits three times and sells at $35,199. Of course, I am not a financial advisor, so I don't have to do math or go to jail by telling you this.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:

I'm not sure if you know how I view Apple/Steve but I'll break it down to you .
    • GOD/JESUS CHRIST

• STEVE JOBS

• APPLE

• PROGRAMMING

• REAL ESTATE

• WORKING OUT

• FAMILY/FRIENDS

• WOMAN

Yeah Steve could find a way to explain crossing the street sound so amazing that I want to do it just like he did.

" Team we did it! We crossed over unto 5th Ave, NY. The traffic was amazing, but we managed to get across quicker then the competition, and now we're light years ahead of everyone else" - Steve

you are insane..
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:

Teckstud! is that you?
  • Reply 33 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Why is Gizmodo saying it's "30,612,244" per day?

That depends on when they are doing the average. AI has a 10M/day average for the past 99 days. If they are now doing 350/sec that is just over 30M/day (350x60x60x24=30,240,000).

PS: What?s with the font size abusing whack jobs on this thread?
  • Reply 34 of 52
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

But the number is high, though it would have been nice to know how many android apps and itunes music downloads are downloaded over the same period, just for comparison.

The last average rate of music downloads was 9.1m a day. This was for the period between 8B (7/16/09) and 8.5B (9/9/09) downloads. Music downloads usually get a boost right after Christmas, so it may be getting close to 10m a day. But my guess is the app download rate of 10.1m is likely to have passed the music download rate.

Also, www.apptism.com says it is tracking over 135500 apps in the App Store. I believe it is fairly accurate, as their counter was only a bit over 100K when Apple announced 100K.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
  • Reply 36 of 52
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    This is outstanding....

Is this also considered a rounding error?
  • Reply 37 of 52
    I wonder how many of that number are the free downloads and how many AppStore developers sell enough paid applications that they get over thresholds and actually get paid by Apple so they can break even (not counting their expenses to develop the application, just the $99 annual Apple tax). My estimate (not based on anything just gut feeling) is that more than 80% of downloads are free ones (perhaps even more - otherwise Apple would tell us) and from the paid downloads 60% never gets over the threshold so developers get nothing in return. So there is small group of people that really earn a lot, than another small-ish group that earn some (nice but not overwhelming) money and wast majority of developers get exactly NADA.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    I've always thought of Apple as being more like Starbuck's than McDonalds.

I wonder why they are going with the Billions and Billions Served meme?
  • Reply 39 of 52
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

10.1 million a day = around 117 app downloads every second, twentyfour-seven. Not sure what the average app size is, but if it was 5 MB, then at that rate Apple's server would be delivering over half a gigabyte of apps every second.

What brand of servers do you suppose that they use?
  • Reply 40 of 52
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Let's put it in context...

http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...s-to-cars.html

I respect Tomi Ahonen for all that he's done in researching/analyzing/forecasting the mobile industry, but I think Apple (and esp what it is doing to Nokia) and Apple fans (or biased media") have gotten a bit under his skin (or in his head). For example, altho we are long past the videorecord-less iPhone, he's still talking about it like that app is representative of what's in the app store.

He's right that relative to the whole monetized telecom services industry, apps are a very small part. But he's looking backwards not forwards.

One needs to not think of an app the way one used to for PCs. In this mobile handset context, an app is simply something you can do on the handset - it can be a service (shopping, games, communications (like voip or twitter), etc) or content (book, songs, movies, etc). It may or may not involve getting data from the Internet or GPS or cellular or some other sensor in (or attached to) the handset. It's almost like a specialized portal (and now adorned with ads, how does it differ from a website?).

What the app does is that it makes it simpler to do that something you want to do. It converts something more complex into something much easier. Instead of going to the web via the browser to buy a movie ticket or book a vacation, you call up an app and work through the sequence of steps. Instead of working through ten levels of buried menus to get and set a particular ringtone for a particular person, you call up an app and quickly set it. The successful app developer will have written the app to meet the user's anticipated workflow.

I think what is happening is that users are being "conditioned" to access services and content through apps. Though the app itself might be free, the services and content received through it can be monetized. Even via ads.

If one can provide a service through an app that is easy-to-use, useful, or entertaining to many, and thus build a BRAND, then the App is relevant (and profitable). But that's the same concept as before - I could replace app with website (like Facebook or Amazon), or service (like Twitter). So yes, apps are important and different, but also not important and the same as before.

Apple is trumpeting the numbers because it can. It's a lot of downloads. And it draws people's attention. But Tomi is also right in his ranting, because Apple is also trumpeting it as a misdirection play - because underneath the App, other things are happening and Apple is already moving on to more important concepts, while others are just building their App stores.