Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.3 to target crashes, over 90 components

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    freakboyfreakboy Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

A quick search of this thread and it appears you are the only one that called it 'buggy'.

With thousands of lines of code, bugs are inevitable. Overall I would consider SL to be relatively bug free given it's a major release.

SL for me has been a nightmare. I still can't run anything in rosetta without my user session being killed (any work I had gone).

I wish I'd never upgraded. For a minor performance enhancement, i've had nothing but headaches.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeasar View Post

I have one complain about SL and one only, and that is: FIX THE START UP TIME!!!!

I love the shutdown time on SL, and the start up time of Tiger, please combine the two Apple, cause right now my dad's crappy vista starts up faster then my SL macbook

How about you just not shut yours down? Sleep actually works quite well on a Mac.

Though I must say that I haven't experienced slow start up times in SL.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    I've been quite happy with 10.6.2 personally. I have a Mac Pro, and everything seems pretty stable and zippy. I still get a few annoying beach balls but this isn't a huge issue. Personally, I haven't noticed the Flash crash issue. Maybe I'm just not hitting as many Flash heavy sites as those of you being hounded by this problem.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Flash has been crashing in Safari for me as well, more so than usual.

K

Flash is garbage, click2flash fixed all my crash issues. Ever run a permissions repair after installing flash? It's frightening....
  • Reply 65 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Wow, I have to ask....from powered off or from sleep? My wife's Asus with Win7 is horridly slow when waking from sleep. It takes my early '08 MBP about 6 seconds to go from sleep to having a webpage open. I think my Dell 8200 with XP SP3 takes less time to boot than it does for Win7 to wake from sleep.

Maybe it's time for you to do a clean install and start over?

Agreed. I'll be the first to admin that SL isn't perfect but since 10.6.2 it has been golden for me. In fact for me it has been more stable overall than both 10.5.8 & 10.4.11.

Wake times have always been lightning fast for me but I was most surprised to find that sleep times decreased significantly. Boot times really haven't changed much but since I rarely reboot what do I really care.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

I'm hoping the fact that crash reports in Snow Leopard for the first time are sent automatically without asking the user will enable Apple to get to the bottom of bugs quicker. Hopefully we start seeing the result of this.

What?!!!

I haven't heard of this, can you point to information substantiating this claim?

If this is true, it sets a terrible, terrible precedent. No company, including (especially) the OS-maker should be "phoning home", i.e. sending private information back to the company without the user's explicit acknowledgement. Ever. I will never run Windows on an unprotected (non-VM) machine because of this kind of crap, especially their so-called "activation".

Why are people tolerant of this invasive behavior? It's fine if the user doesn't mind sending this personal information, and acknowledges that. But to do so without permission is invasive and a huge breach of trust!
  • Reply 67 of 74
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Flash is garbage, click2flash fixed all my crash issues. Ever run a permissions repair after installing flash? It's frightening....

Excellent tip! Massive! Thank you!

(BTW, yes I have. What is up with that, I wonder?)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

What?!!!

I haven't heard of this, can you point to information substantiating this claim?

If this is true, it sets a terrible, terrible precedent. No company, including (especially) the OS-maker should be "phoning home", i.e. sending private information back to the company without the user's explicit acknowledgement. Ever. I will never run Windows on an unprotected (non-VM) machine because of this kind of crap, especially their so-called "activation".

Why are people tolerant of this invasive behavior? It's fine if the user doesn't mind sending this personal information, and acknowledges that. But to do so without permission is invasive and a huge breach of trust!

I don't think this is true. Application crashes in Snow Leopard result in a report pop-up. I haven't seen a kernel panic in years, so I don't know about how it handle general system failures.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    cdyatescdyates Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Hopefully it will become obsolete with HTML5. It's an abomination...

Hope you're not holding your breath. HTML 5 is gonna be a while...
  • Reply 69 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The word search function, in particular. It now takes about 20 times longer to find word instances in documents, and it still misses instances that Preview in Leopard finds. Sometimes the search literally never ends, so you can't figure out if it's done. Searching for strings, which used to be easy, is now utterly hopeless. Also, Preview used to automatically inherit Spotlight search terms and find them in your documents. So nice, but no more. In the process of all this feature and performance subtraction, Preview became a massive RAM hog. They took something that worked virtually perfectly in Leopard and turned it into a complete disaster.

This is odd. It must be an installation specific issue as Preview has no problems in searching 48MB PDF documents almost instantaneously on my iMac 9,1. That being said, a friend of mine has issues with Preview's word search on his Macbook Pro.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

This is odd. It must be an installation specific issue as Preview has no problems in searching 48MB PDF documents almost instantaneously on my iMac 9,1. That being said, a friend of mine has issues with Preview's word search on his Macbook Pro.

That's a pretty small file. I'm working with much larger ones, though with PDFs it's not possible to know how much of a file is words and how much is image. Either way, I've noticed that even smaller PDFs without many images are much slower to search than they were in Leopard.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

That's a pretty small file. I'm working with much larger ones, though with PDFs it's not possible to know how much of a file is words and how much is image. Either way, I've noticed that even smaller PDFs without many images are much slower to search than they were in Leopard.

True.

48MB file of text only is far longer to search than a 48MB file of mixed text with embedded images.

I can produce a 5,000+ page document half that size of nothing but text and tables, or I can download a comic in pdf of 50 pages that size.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    Although I hate to admit it, my netbook running 10.5.6 does seem to be more stable than my Macbook Pro. As far as speeds go, the MBP takes the cake for obvious reasons.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    After using SL since the release on my MBA and a new iMac with no problems, I finally upgraded my MacPro to SL two days ago.

Things are not going too smoothly.

I've had a couple of UI faints where the mouse, keyboard, tablet all fail to do anything. Unplug them and reconnect did nothing, requiring a force shut down and restart. Have also had the main HD fail to wake from sleep twice, also requiring a forced shut down.

Hopefully, 10.6.3 will fix these problems. In the mean time, I'm off to do some trouble shooting.

Am also considering re-installing on to a different drive and fresh installing all apps, again, including Final Cut Studio which takes several hours.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

True.

48MB file of text only is far longer to search than a 48MB file of mixed text with embedded images.

I can produce a 5,000+ page document half that size of nothing but text and tables, or I can download a comic in pdf of 50 pages that size.

The files I use the most are scanned old newspapers with embedded search text. Most of these are about 1.5 GB in size, but of course most of that is bitmapped image. Still with the Leopard version of Preview, a search term would start returning results immediately and the entire file would be searched in literally seconds, maybe 15 tops. In Snow Leopard, it normally takes a couple of minutes for Preview to even start retuning results and 10-15 minutes for it to finish. To make matter even worse, search terms that Spotlight says are in the files are not found by Preview. In Leopard Preview, they were found. Terrible!

I've noticed that Preview now creates a file in Application Support/Preview called PDFIndex4.sk, which seems to be about the same size as the last file I searched. Not sure if the previous version did that.

EDIT: If anyone has this problem, try deleting the above-mentioned file. That's what I tried. It has not entirely returned the quick search functionality I was used to in Leopard Preview, but it is much better than it was. Oddly, compared to the huge file it replaced, the new file Preview creates is only 8k in size and seems to stay that way after multiple searches.