Apple tablet speculation: production costs, internal components

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

It would be fantastic if the Apple tablet has an Intel atom inside, because that means Mac OS X (touch) inside. Even if it has reduced battery life.

Yeah, fantastic. Within days people will be making hackinslates from the slew of other atom-based cheapo tablets that will be on the market.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

My bets are on PA Semi producing a custom designed ARM Cortex A9 chip

What are you betting? $100? I'll take that bet.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

The MacBook is going nowhere so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Where have you been, living in a cave?

The MacBook line has been reduced to one model, the white one.

Quote:

Samsung have supplied Apple for years with components for the iPhone and iPods

Components are a different story. You think Apple is going to let out that the iTablet is just a device from Samsung with a sticker change?

Quote:

It is highly probable the processors will dual A9's. ARM don't just copy Intel (where do you get this shit from?) and the ARM's are considered superior to any of the Atom's so far.

ARM doesn't copy Intel, but it has to make it compatible, not a whole different processor family like PowerPC was my point. Still they don't have the volume or else Apple would have made all Mac's ARM processors from the very start of the switch. Apple plans on iTablet being the next computer of the future, so much that it's going to replace the MacBook and work it's way up, so that means volume sales and no ARM.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

4200rpm 160GB hard disk drive...128GB SSD...Intel Atom processor...2GB of DRAM...3.2 megapixel camera.

Anyone want to bet that none of that is accurate?

(It may ship with 128GB of flash, but iPhone flash != SSD flash)
  • Reply 25 of 68
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I don't think it's wise to assume that the display would cost $50. Considering how Apple usually changes the paradigm of interfaces, it's probably not a safe bet to assume the display will be a standard plate of glass like everyone else is using.

When the rumors first started for Apple's tablet project, the biggest difference between it and the iPhone's initial buzz was the smartphone market had a large selection of crap for the iPhone to outshine and embarrass. That eclipse-effect is a crucial part of the Apple mystique. A few months ago there was no chance for Apple to tap into that effect because there was no such swarm of tablets/e-readers for an Apple product to outshine. BOY - in just a matter of months Apple's reputation and rumors have brought us to a CES 2010 that just gave Apple the gift of an abundance of blah tablets for Apple to steamroll.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

Calculating cost on a device very few people have actually seen, is either very brave or very stupid.

I'm guessing the latter.

i have to agree.

it also seems like they are basing a lot on the notion of this as a scaled down computer, not an upscaled iphone (which the dominant rumor).

Assuming that an event is happening later this month (has it actually been confirmed from Apple) it will be interesting to see what is announced in regards to the tablet, if anything.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

They lost me at 'Hard disk drive'.

agreed. this device is meant to be portable. and Apple is shifting all portables to solid state as the prices reach reasonable levels.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

The idea is to get some additional portability/functionality but factoring in the downside of a tablet too (no file saving, limited capability of software, etc.)

Where in the world did you get those down-sides from?

The software would be limited by the hardware, sure. But that will put it on par with comparable netbooks, but gaining the benefit of having a trimmed down and specially tuned OS and apps, rather than desktop OS and apps. If anything, the software on the tablet will be superior to a netbook in every way except for typing.

No file saving? I can save files on the iPhone. Why would that change? The limited file management on the iPhone is more a side effect of the security model. I'm expecting even better access to the media stores and a more-general Newton-style shared-data store. But they certainly won't go backwards.

And the tablet doesn't need an 'advantage' over a laptop. That's like asking what is the advantage of a Shuffle over a Nano; or a Nano over a Touch.

They're different things for different people with different needs.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Where have you been, living in a cave?

The MacBook has always had one case design. Once with a 2 colours and a few different performance configs, but the same design. Before that the iBook had two sizes and multiple performance configs so I guess your argument that Apple?s low end was dying could be made from the time Apple introduced the MacBook.

So they have one configuration for the MacBook while the 13? MBP for $200 more is the machine people buying more. That is a problem for you? I?m sure it?s not a problem for Apple. Note that a tablet is not a replacement for a notebook. The do different things in different ways.

Quote:

Components are a different story. You think Apple is going to let out that the iTablet is just a device from Samsung with a sticker change?

Since when isn?t a processor a component?
    Quote:

Kumar said the tablet processor will be manufactured by Samsung

As t?s been pointed out, Samsung and Apple have a long history of working together.

Quote:

ARM doesn't copy Intel, but it has to make it compatible, not a whole different processor family like PowerPC was my point. Still they don't have the volume or else Apple would have made all Mac's ARM processors from the very start of the switch. Apple plans on iTablet being the next computer of the future, so much that it's going to replace the MacBook and work it's way up, so that means volume sales and no ARM.

You clearly stated:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper

ARM copies Intel?

You have failed to see that ARM doesn?t need to x86 derivative to run. It?s much more efficient than Atom and is much more likely for a tablet than anything Intel produces.

You?re stated that ARM has to follow Intel, that ARM should somehow be running x86 apps and yet you?ve failed to see that every mobile, PMP, and 100s of millions of other devices run on ARM processors. Not exactly the niche player you think it is. I?m sure even the HP Slate has ARM processors in it.

if you start with a bad foundation it?s hard to build a decent house. Perhaps you need to stop looking at a tablet as a slightly thinner ModBook, but as an accessory device synced through iTunes and designed to take over certain tasks of your PC, not replace it.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    Here's the breakdown of a netbook. $198 hardware cost!

Pretty amazing when compared to projected Apple iSlate costs.

http://www.shanzai.com/index.php/mar...m-slim-margins
  • Reply 30 of 68
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Well from what folks have been saying and asking fro, Apple BETTER have a tablet starting around $399.00 or it will not be as big a deal as we hoped.

Is that $399 with or without a carrier subsidy? An unlooked Google phone is over $500. Apple's tablet will with have 4x the screen size, a more powerful processor and graphics chip to run it, more memory, larger battery, etc, etc. If there is an unlocked version of the Apple tablet, don't expect it to cost less than $900.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    @ vinney57, @bartfat: I agree.

I would think they'd want to keep it cheaper than the macbook, so $699-$899.

But they might first play on the "cool factor", like the old "black tax" on macbooks, so @vinney57 pricing looks more realistic there.

They'll probably go with dual ARM to get as high performance as possible; even if they only match the 3GSs battery life with the bigger cell the tab will have.

The perf. expectation will be an awesome netbook, like an ION; instead of a huge iPhone. So they'll need all the processor they can afford. Lack of multitasking will probably be wildly unacceptable.

I thought one of the big issues with the ArrogantPad was that the multi-touch panel alone would cost ~$200. So I think @c4rlob is right on.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Why do I feel like this is another of Apple's famous leaks to mislead the competition (i.e., Microsoft and HP). It doesn't make sense that both the iPhone and the tablet would have a 1GHz processor, the same as the Nexus One. There has to be some kind of difference between the next iteration of the iPhone, which should have a similar processor as the Nexus (assuming that it wants to compete with the Nexus) and the tablet. Now, if it's a multi-core Cortex-A9, I understand a 1GHZ processor, but this guy is speculating that it will have a Cortex-A8.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

They also refreshed that model in a "unibody" design. They wouldn't do that for a product that they are phasing out.

I find it hard to believe that apple will put the tablet in a position to replace a macbook. Why replace your top selling model (although they have done it before)? I think they would rather have you buy both if possible. I think they will try really hard to position it as a companion device (maybe even allowing the tablet to become a secondary screen/input device for your mac). Of course, a tablet will likely replace a macbook for some people. I just don't see that as an ultimate goal.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    uh no.

they want to catch the young ones, get to them early so they will go Mac. And the women. Women are totally ignored by technology even today. Everything is so guy focused.

But the Apple Tablet will be fun, sleek, hip, and sexy. Cool for the ladies and the men.

So there's only way to market this baby. 3 people, unified message. You get the women, the teens (boys included) and there's even some muscle for those that want a sense of power. It's totally hawt. Plus they have all been seen time and again by the Paparazzi with their iphones so it's totally logical they would step up.

That's right folks, tremble with fear cause the Twilight Trio is going to be pimping the new Apple tablet.

You heard it here. I have insider sources. this is NOT a rumor, it is fact.

And not only that but they are going to have a special edition Twilight Tablet that is packed with photos, music (from the soundtracks and the kids Celebrity Playlists plus RPatz soon to be released digital EP) and the already released movies. Plus everyone that buys the Twilight Tablet will have the satisfaction of knowing that they are making a donation to SPCSV (that's the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Sparkly Vampires)
  • Reply 35 of 68
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmeader View Post

Here's the breakdown of a netbook. $198 hardware cost!

Pretty amazing when compared to projected Apple iSlate costs.

I lost track of how many of those items are obviously inferior to what Apple is using. So it's not that amazing at all. To paraphrase Steve, anyone can make a crapbook.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    I think many are missing the uses of the apple tablet. For the "only a full macos x will do" people, it only needs to be a roaming access to all your other computers. Sure, you will be able to store some files on it, but 128 gigs? what for? My iphone has all the "files" I need in 32 Gb of flash- all the other files and macos (or windows) applications you need will be on your home computer, readily accessible by wifi, and (unlike the iphone, where you can already do this) readable on the 10 or so inch screen. Merely fire up any vnc client and there you are, on your home desktop. You can then do anything you can do on your home computer from your sofa, or with.proper configuration, anywhere in the world, When away from home (or work), in portable mode, the iphone type interface and os will do nicely, for whatever native apps you want. The best of both worlds??.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    I think there will be 2 cameras. Front and back.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

uh no.

they want to catch the young ones, get to them early so they will go Mac. And the women. Women are totally ignored by technology even today. Everything is so guy focused.

But the Apple Tablet will be fun, sleek, hip, and sexy. Cool for the ladies and the men.

So there's only way to market this baby. 3 people, unified message. You get the women, the teens (boys included) and there's even some muscle for those that want a sense of power. It's totally hawt. Plus they have all been seen time and again by the Paparazzi with their iphones so it's totally logical they would step up.

That's right folks, tremble with fear cause the Twilight Trio is going to be pimping the new Apple tablet.

You heard it here. I have insider sources. this is NOT a rumor, it is fact.

And not only that but they are going to have a special edition Twilight Tablet that is packed with photos, music (from the soundtracks and the kids Celebrity Playlists plus RPatz soon to be released digital EP) and the already released movies. Plus everyone that buys the Twilight Tablet will have the satisfaction of knowing that they are making a donation to SPCSV (that's the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Sparkly Vampires)

I was laughing so hard at this I actually almost typed "lol" as my password! Sorry I can't see apple putting all of their eggs in the Twilight Basket, that market would cover lonely females and 13yr old girls.

Still nice try ..
  • Reply 39 of 68
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsnaulty View Post

I think many are missing the uses of the apple tablet. For the "only a full macos x will do" people, it only needs to be a roaming access to all your other computers. Sure, you will be able to store some files on it, but 128 gigs? what for? My iphone has all the "files" I need in 32 Gb of flash- all the other files and macos (or windows) applications you need will be on your home computer, readily accessible by wifi, and (unlike the iphone, where you can already do this) readable on the 10 or so inch screen. Merely fire up any vnc client and there you are, on your home desktop. You can then do anything you can do on your home computer from your sofa, or with.proper configuration, anywhere in the world, When away from home (or work), in portable mode, the iphone type interface and os will do nicely, for whatever native apps you want. The best of both worlds??.

This reminded me of two things that I've considered might be in the tablet in the past.

1) Wireless syncing, it's time

2) Apple could introduce their own vnc client that works through mobileme, bringing remote computing to the masses. If not there are plently of vnc clients already on the iPhone that will also work on a tablet, so you are right... people will be able to utilize the full computing power of their home computers if they so desire.

Another option would be to allow app specific vnc clients to reduce lag. For example you could have photoshop on the tablet and your mac/pc. From the photoshop app you would instruct the computer to open photoshop. From that point on, only the necessary inputs would be transmitted between the two devices. The app would contain all the menus and tools needed to work in a touch friendly interface and would only need to transmit instructions when you had to manipulate the image. No more clicking on "file" then transmitting the instruction to the computer, waiting for the updated image with the file menu open to be sent to you, then clicking on "open" and transmitting that and waiting once again. When working on a picture, you could select the area you wanted to crop or whatever before any communication is sent between the two devices. Once you've selected what you wanted to do, that information would be transmitted to your computer and photoshop would do the work and send the image back to you. Of course this could also be done with a cloud based server instead of your computer. An implementation like that would make the whole vnc process a lot more seamless and it would feel like all the work was being done on the tablet.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    You know i have a gut feeling this Tablet ain't going to happen anytime soon. I mean we don't even know if there's an actual event. It's all speculative and hyper and my heads getting all cabobbled.

Watching Ballmer at CES keynote made me think this could be what were getting if, and i mean if, there's an Apple event in January. The Courier, despite all the speculation didn't come to pass.

Hey i hope i'm wrong. I'm as psyched as the next person to see this new device. A gut feeling is generally based on experience and we've experienced flat Apple keynotes before.

SLAP...see i'm doing it again.

Do Apple normally book events and leave only a few weeks before formally announcing it?