Google Nexus One components estimated at $174.15 cost

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Its higher than the iPhone and Blackberry and Nokia (i think...some of their phones are outrageous)

You would expect to be getting a cheaper price though. You cut out the middle man of having to go into a store and buy one. It would be more impressive if it were at 449 or something.

Apparently you aren't paying for phone technical support either. That should knock off a few bucks.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

Well, it would be interesting to see what the actual wholesale price of these phones is to Google, not just the cost of materials.

Does the cell phone market exercise the same markup rates as typical retail, which is 300%?

If Google really wanted to shake up the cell phone industry business model, this Nexus One is a very very small start, but a start nonetheless.

I think many folks expected Google to really give a good incentive to buy direct from them by offering the hardware at a low cost. It doesn't appear that they're doing that, but without knowing how much they're pocketing off each device, you can't really say one way or the other.

Actually, maybe they are. $530 off contract certainly isn't on the high-end of what you pay out of pocket for something like an iPhone or high end Crackberry or Nokia, is it? Problem is, it doesn't seem particularly cheaper either.

i'd guess HTC wants to see some profit margins as well considering they helped design it, contribute to android and build it
  • Reply 43 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i'd guess HTC wants to see some profit margins as well considering they helped design it, contribute to android and build it

HTC's profit margins would be built into their wholesale price to Google...not reflected in Google's retail price directly. That's the typical model.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    $1, wait a minute, I could get that free from a tap, why those rip-off merchants.

They are selling phones at exorbitant prices when atoms can be had FOR FREE!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

And the rocks, oil, and sand are just a bunch of protons, neutrons, and electrons. My $1 bottle of water probably has enough of those to make a couple of iPhones. Who cares that it would take several billion dollars and many years to rearrange the the particles into an iPhone. That's just manufacturing costs, which we don't count.

• Reply 45 of 45
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Seriously, Dude? You?ve been here since May of last year. You should know that the BOM (Build of Materials) is not even close to everything that needs to be considered for the cost of the device to even equal a null profit on the device.

Bill of Materials, not build