Support for OpenGL 3.0 added in beta build of Mac OS X 10.6.3

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

No. Read the link. I didn't say they weren't interested in producing an SDK. They ignored it's potential as a game platform.

If you think they are not interested in the platform as a gaming device then how you can sure they were interested in the platform for 3rd-party devs since they announced neither at the 2007 event. It looks like they’ve done well to capitalize on the gaming potential.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you think they are not interested in the platform as a gaming device then how you can sure they were interested in the platform for 3rd-party devs since they announced neither at the 2007 event.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they always indicated they would be releasing an SDK for developers to create 3rd party apps. They just never mentioned it as a gaming platform.

Don't you think that even the most basic marketing pitch would include something as exciting as that in the promo's? The publishers and the users certainly took notice and were excited about the potential, but it was never even mentioned by Apple.

[Edit] Found the original release info. Ajax was communicated when the phone came out, and the SDK was communicated to developers 4 months after the release

"At WWDC 2007 on June 11, 2007 Apple announced that the iPhone would support third-party "web applications" written in Ajax that share the look and feel of the iPhone interface.[139] On October 17, 2007, Steve Jobs, in an open letter posted to Apple's "Hot News" weblog, announced that a software development kit (SDK) would be made available to third-party developers in February 2008"

And here's the letter from Jobs:

"Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users. With our revolutionary multi-touch interface, powerful hardware and advanced software architecture, we believe we have created the best mobile platform ever for developers.

It will take until February to release an SDK because we’re trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once—provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc. This is no easy task. Some claim that viruses and malware are not a problem on mobile phones—this is simply not true. There have been serious viruses on other mobile phones already, including some that silently spread from phone to phone over the cell network. As our phones become more powerful, these malicious programs will become more dangerous. And since the iPhone is the most advanced phone ever, it will be a highly visible target.

Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer. While this makes such a phone less than “totally open,” we believe it is a step in the right direction. We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone’s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs.

We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.

Steve

P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch. [Oct 17, 2007]
    "
  • Reply 63 of 69
    Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they always indicated they would be releasing an SDK for developers to create 3rd party apps. They just never mentioned it as a gaming platform.

Don't you think that even the most basic marketing pitch would include something as exciting as that in the promo's? The publishers and the users certainly took notice and were excited about the potential, but it was never even mentioned by Apple.

No, and it was a big contention for people that seem to be long time Apple customers but didn?t seem to understand the very basics of how the company tends to operate.

Simple timeline?
    • August 29th, 1997 ? Skynet becomes self-aware

• january, 9th 2007 ? iPhone announced

• June 29th, 2007 ? iPhone released

• September 5th, 2007 ? iPod Touch released

• October 17th, 2007 ? Jobs announces new iPhone OS SDK in letter.

• March 6th, 2008 ? Phone OS Beta 1 SDK released and 3rd-party games demoed at Apple event

• July 10th, 2008 ? App Store went live with iTunes update

• December, 21st, 2012 ? The Mayan obsessed with making a calendar dies before he could add December 22nd and so on so a small portion of the world gets stupid

• Reply 64 of 69
    Quote:

No, and it was a big contention for people that seem to be long time Apple customers but didn’t seem to understand the very basics of how the company tends to operate.

Simple timeline…
    • August 29th, 1997 — Skynet becomes self-aware

• january, 9th 2007 — iPhone announced

• June 29th, 2007 — iPhone released

• September 5th, 2007 — iPod Touch released

• October 17th, 2007 — iPhone OS SDK announced by Job in letter to devs

• March 6th, 2008 — Phone OS Beta 1 SDK released and 3rd-party games demoed at Apple event

• July 10th, 2008 — App Store went live with iTunes update

• December, 21st, 2012 — The Mayan obsessed with making a calendar dies before he could add December 22nd and so on

Nice touch

Quote:
    • August 29th, 1997 — Skynet becomes self-aware

• December, 21st, 2012 — The Mayan obsessed with making a calendar dies before he could add December 22nd and so on

I think the iPhone's gaming aspect hit Apple like a ton of bricks. They've cashed in on it now of course, and I hope the update to OpenGL 3.0 is also a result of that and hopefully a change in direction for Apple. Not everyone wants to do work on their Mac 24x7, myself included. That and I hate rebooting into Windows.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    Quote:

Nice touch

I try to keep it light even when we don?t agree.

Quote:

I think the iPhone's gaming aspect hit Apple like a ton of bricks. They've cashed in on it now of course, and I hope the update to OpenGL 3.0 is also a result of that and hopefully a change in direction for Apple. Not everyone wants to do work on their Mac 24x7, myself included. That and I hate rebooting into Windows.

I think the whole App Store ecosystem knocked them off guard in a good way. The number of devs, the number of apps, the cleverness of some apps, the very specific industry apps, the overnight success stories of some small devs, and even major developers who are big money from a PMP that isn?t first designed as a handheld console.

Gameloft already scaled back their investment in Android. Even with the growing pains and complains a few have the iPhone OS, SDK and App Store are an overwhelming success. It?s no wonder everyone seems to be following their lead...

Quote:

Games for iPhone generated 13 percent of Gameloft's revenue in [Q3-2008]. "We are selling 400 times more games on iPhone than on Android," Rochefort said.

It Could Be Better

I would like to see a proper gaming API added to the SDK. What i mean by that is that is developers having a simply way of making on on-screen controls work with any number of 3rd-party D-pads. You attach the hardware and the virtual buttons go away and correspond automatically with the HW buttons. Perhaps the dev could then add other buttons to the display for even more options. I think if Apple wants to make the iPhone OS into the best gaming machine they have to go this route in some capacity. Too many games just won?t be ideal with a physical controls and without a standardization you don?t get HW makers competing for your dollar and you don?t want to have to buy a different control per game developer.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    Quote:

[*]December, 21st, 2012 — The Mayan obsessed with making a calendar dies before he could add December 22nd and so on so a small portion of the world gets stupid[/LIST]

That's an insult to the Mayans and it also demonstrates your naivety and ignorance.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

That's an insult to the Mayans and it also demonstrates your naivety and ignorance.

Don't forget I insulted cyborgs and have shown my ignorant toward artifical sentient lifeforms.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    Quote:

Don't forget I insulted cyborgs and have shown my ignorant toward artifical sentient lifeforms.

Haha
  • Reply 69 of 69
    Quote:

I don't care because those guys will definitely kill you for mocking them...they'll make sure to kill you when you were a kid and when your mom was in rehab.