Apple shipped 7M MacBooks in 2009, now ordering 1M per month

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple shipped about 7 million MacBooks in all of 2009, and has increased its orders to one supplier to about one million per month -- a rate maintained during the typically slow span of January.

Quanta Computer handled most of the orders for Apple's notebooks last year, Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes reported Wednesday. Monthly orders from Apple increased from about 300,000 to 400,000 units a year ago to one million per month at the end of 2009.

"Despite the first quarter being the traditional slow season, Apple is expected to continue placing orders for about one million units to Quanta in January to cover the Lunar New Year period," the report said.

In all, Quanta Computer is expected to ship between 3.5 million and 3.7 million notebooks in the first month of the year. Those company's greatest benefit has come from Apple's purchase of a million MacBooks, the report said.

With Intel's recently debuted line of Core i3, i5 and i7 processors, it is possible Apple could introduce new MacBook Pros soon. Apple is expected to hold an event on Jan. 27 to unveil new products.

Earlier Wednesday, a promotional e-mail from chip maker Intel revealed a Core i5-based MacBook Pro. Currently, the portable line sports Intel Core 2 Duo processors. Apple's purchase of a million new notebooks to start the year could also signal an imminent refresh.

In all, 2009 was a breakthrough year for the Mac. Though numbers from the fourth quarter are not yet known, some believe Apple could sell more than 3 million Macs in the holiday season alone.

In October, the entry-level $1,199 MacBook Pro was the top-selling notebook in the U.S. In all, Apple portables took four of the top 10 selling positions in that month for notebook sales, also securing 8th, 9th and 10th place.

Between July and September, Apple had its best quarter ever, recording sales of 3.05 million Macs, representing a 17 percent increase over the year prior. If true, Wednesday's DigiTimes report seems to suggest Apple expects demand for its Macs -- particularly the MacBook Pro line -- to remain strong in the start of 2010.

One analyst has predicted that Mac sales will grow 26 percent in 2010. Robert Cihra, analyst with Caris & Company, believes Apple will outpace the overall PC market, which is forecast to see a 16 percent year-over-year increase.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    I bought a MBP. So I'm in.. And a new iMac of course.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    I wonder if that supplier actually already has orders where Intel i5 is already specified?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    In June my Santa Rosa laptop reaches 3 years old and AppleCare runs out. I wonder if I should replace it with a new i5 or keep at it.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I've joined the orchard.

Last year:

13' Aluminum Macbook, 24' iMac, iPod Touch. Oh, and also salvaged a 15' iMac G4 (flowerpot) for the kids. Love it.

This year:

27' iMac i7 on order soon.

Waiting on the refresh for a 15' MBP.

Home& Office will be fully outfitted. No looking back.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

In June my Santa Rosa laptop reaches 3 years old and AppleCare runs out. I wonder if I should replace it with a new i5 or keep at it.

He who dies with the most toys... wins.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    This is great news and comes to no surprise. Macbooks are some of the best-built, high-quality machines around. Consumers know that and know where that extra money is going.

Hmm... the matte-screen, blu-ray, commodity-hardware, apple-is-doomed critics seem mysteriously silent at the moment...
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Biggest question...will the i5 be offered on the MBP 13" at the first refresh stage, or later on? It's the cash cow.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    warpwarp Posts: 17member
    put me down for a high-end CTO MBP now. My 2 year old MBA has just about ran out of everything, disk space, RAM, etc.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Sell it and buy a new one. You know you want to
  • Reply 10 of 19
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

He who dies with the most toys... wins.

Actually ... He who dies with the most toys ... still dies!
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

And when you're dead, you're dead for a long time. Longer than when you were alive.....Actually!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Yeah - but you forget to take into account the automatic elevation to Top Dog in the after life. Its important - what are you gonna talk about if you have no bragging rights?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This is great news and comes to no surprise. Macbooks are some of the best-built, high-quality machines around. Consumers know that and know where that extra money is going.

Hmm... the matte-screen, blu-ray, commodity-hardware, apple-is-doomed critics seem mysteriously silent at the moment...

Get over yourself. MacBook Pros (15 and 17 inch) come with the option of matte screens. That's all anyone wants - a choice.

Nobody has ever said Apple's business will suffer greatly because of no matte screens on the iMacs. It's not a large number of people who won't buy a glossy screen, but why not make matte screens available (charging extra) to those of us who can't use glossy?

As it is, I will have to buy a Mac Mini and a 3rd party display instead of the Core i7 iMac I would buy otherwise.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    How much better is the i5 going to be in real world terms than the 2,8 17" I recently got. Is it really worth taking it in tomorrow to exchange it (no restock charge as it is the 14th day) and waiting for the new generation?

The machine I have is flawless, as most current MBPs seem to be. Isn't it likely that these Rev A machine (new architecture) will have a host of problems as the iMacs seem to have?
  • Reply 15 of 19
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    oh nevermind...
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Get over yourself. MacBook Pros (15 and 17 inch) come with the option of matte screens. That's all anyone wants - a choice.

Nobody has ever said Apple's business will suffer greatly because of no matte screens on the iMacs. It's not a large number of people who won't buy a glossy screen, but why not make matte screens available (charging extra) to those of us who can't use glossy?

As it is, I will have to buy a Mac Mini and a 3rd party display instead of the Core i7 iMac I would buy otherwise.

Amen brother!

At least offer the option of applying a matte film in the Apple Store for people so they don't walk out disgusted about seeing their faces instead of the computer screen.

And all those children's eyes being ruined by premature eyestrain from the glossy MacBooks.

Oh my.

*hmmm donuts*
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Keep at it. Mac's last a long time with proper care.

1: Dont' wear a watch cause it scratches the armrest.

2: Don't leave it out to get damaged, place it in a case when not in use.

3: Get replacement batteries ahead of time.

4: Clean the machine with iClear.

5: Detail the keyboard.

6: Keep a clone of your boot drive on a external drive.

And if it has a matte screen, thank your lucky stars because you can use it nearly anywhere.

Snow Leopard is still twitchy, if your not on it already. Plus the new processors could be twitchy too, especially since I read they will be hyperthreaded, which has been a security issue.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    So, those "Laptop Hunters" ads did really work well for Apple it seems.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

So, those "Laptop Hunters" ads did really work well for Apple it seems.

bingo

plus 100++++