It seems as if Mac is only good for video/sound processing and web design

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello everyone

I'm considering to switch from PC to Mac, but Mac seems to be good only for people who mostly deal with graphic design, sound/video processing, picture post-processing and web design/development. Despite all the feedback about the benefits of Mac hardware and software that are perfectly integrated, I, as a normal computer user who needs a computer just for web browsing, checking email, watching movies and listening to music like most people, still wonder whether it is really worth all the time to learn a completely new operating system and all the Mac in general, and, of course, a considerable expense since a Mac is significantly more expensive than a PC.

I'll appreciate any help and opinion because on second thought, I see no advantage of a Mac over a PC...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I'm debating whether this is a transparent or only semi-transparent trolling...

There is no advantage of a Mac over a PC and you should get a netbook. Preferrably one running Linux.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    YOU need to buy a Dell. I doubt you could handle a Mac.

But really... they both do exactly the same things... if price is your driving motive, then feel free to stick with Windows/PC.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I kinda like that "normal people" use their computers exclusively for a handful of generic functions. What's up with the Mac weirdos and their creative pursuits, anyway? It's so gay.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    I love the "time to learn a new OS" argument, as it is usual made by Windoze users who did have to take a lot of time learning different apps, etc. All the basic tasks you listed can be learned by a complete beginner in a couple of hours, less for someone with computer experience. You can learn to more more easily and quickly, and actually do much of it faster, on a Mac.

If time is money, then time saved learning how to do things and time saved actually doing them will more than outweigh any perceived initial costs. However, most people who raise this argument do not seem to think about money over time.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I've been in the PC business for over 10 years and my two home computers are Macs. I don't envision myself buying Windows, other than for work purposes, ever again.

This question comes up quite often and its always hard to explain. On these forums I've always equated a Mac to a BMW or Mercedes and a PC to a Kia or Chevy. Sure, both will get you from A to B but its HOW you get there that matters to Mac users.

I have 3 brothers who have all been PC users for as long as I've known them. They've all purchased iPhones in the past 2 years and now, all of them are Mac owners. For one brother I even offered to install an extra copy of Office for Mac I own and he refused to instal any MS software on his Macbook. He has taught himself iWork and describes iWork as "so much more intuitive" than Office. Plus, he's a lawyer who at work uses nothing but PC and MS software.

A coworker of mine is a STAUNCH Microsoft advocate. I gave him my semi broken 2G iPhone as a friendly gesture. That was about a year ago and just the other day he said he wants to buy an iPhone. Mind you, he carries two WinMo phones with him everyday and is always upgrading to the latest WinMo phone whenever TMobile releases the next latest and greatest. If I can convert him I'm sure you'll be pleasantly pleased buying a Mac.

Its hard to explain but Apple just makes life so much easier by integrating the hardware, software, and support through one company. They truly understand user interfaces and how to make them friendly, their support is always top shelf, their environmental practices have won them honors, and they continually push the bar of innovation.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rfe777 View Post

<snip>

I'll appreciate any help and opinion because on second thought, I see no advantage of a Mac over a PC...

Frog in a well.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:

Just get a PC. You are not good enough for a Mac
  • Reply 8 of 27
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

I, as a normal computer user who needs a computer just for web browsing, checking email, watching movies and listening to music like most people, still wonder whether it is really worth all the time to learn a completely new operating system and all the Mac in general, and, of course, a considerable expense since a Mac is significantly more expensive than a PC.

The general answer in your case is: NO.

If you eventually try how all that happens on Mac, the answer will become YES.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    That a Mac is only good for video, photos, graphics, etc., is FUD from the uninformed.

Learning OS X is easy.

Even the routine aspects - browsing the Web, checking e-mail, etc. - are easier on a Mac, and you won't have all the problems - viruses, malware, bloatware, etc. - associated with running a Windows machine.

Yet, it sounds like you already made your bed. Good luck lying in it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

If time is money, then time saved learning how to do things and time saved actually doing them will more than outweigh any perceived initial costs. However, most people who raise this argument do not seem to think about money over time.

Agreed
  • Reply 10 of 27
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Guys, don't bother! We won't be hearing from the OP again.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Guys, don't bother! We won't be hearing from the OP again.

You are wrong - I'm here, just don't get any notifications about replies to my email, although I have subscribed... strange.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    I run a small consulting business on Macs (a business which doesn't have anything to do with video or sound editing). In addition to the fact that I just prefer how a Mac works, and like the integrated functionality of the iLife applications, I don't have to worry about viruses and can do all of my own tech support.

Nice job making a new poster feel welcome. It might have been a naive question, but why assume it is trolling?
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I run a small consulting business on Macs (a business which doesn't have anything to do with video or sound editing). In addition to the fact that I just prefer how a Mac works, and like the integrated functionality of the iLife applications, I don't have to worry about viruses and can do all of my own tech support.

Nice job making a new poster feel welcome. It might have been a naive question, but why assume it is trolling?

Don't worry mate, I'm not bothered in the least and could care less for people such as these.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

It was posted on this forum too:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=848407&nojs=1

Add in the fact that it's worded in a way that belittles the platform and by extension it's users/supporters, it's easy to reach the conclusion that it's trolling.

However, the strongest offense usually incites the strongest defense, which in this case would result in the answer to the question of why they should choose the platform.

The question has been asked many times before in different forms and it's really up to the user to decide for themselves. It's like asking someone to explain why I should prefer strawberry ice-cream over chocolate. Try them both and see for yourself.

Computers are simply about doing tasks that need done. If those tasks get done in a satisfactory and efficient way then there is no problem that needs to be fixed. I can get by ok with Windows, it just annoys me with random popups, errors, inconsistencies, random slow-downs etc so I pay extra for slower hardware to remove the headaches and have a nice quiet machine.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Well, I agree about the personal preference question, but I've seen where people ask whether they should get a black or white iPhone or MacBook, and a long and passionate discussion ensued. (In such discussions I've told people that they definitely prefer black, but nobody but me seems to think this is the least bit funny.)

At least where the Mac vs. Windows is concerned, the reasoning for the preference should be easier to explain and rationalize than your favorite flavor of ice cream.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    OSX is easy to learn and you can do everything you seem to want to do on windows but more easily and with better reliability. I been using Windows since 3.1 and recently switched over to Mac this June. I think you're better off buying a Mac.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Give me a break Doc! I'm just giving the guy an easy way out. He can blame me, when he decides not to buy a Mac.

Quote:

It seems as if Mac is only good for....

.....but Mac seems to be good only for people who mostly.....

Despite all the feedback about the benefits of Mac hardware and software.....

....I, as a normal computer user.....

.......wonder whether it is really worth all the time.......

.....of course, a considerable expense since a Mac is significantly more expensive

.....on second thought, I see no advantage of a Mac over a PC...

• Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Funny, when I visit someplace for the first time I don't classify folks there in an obviously stereotypical (and incorrect) way and denigrate whatever it is they are discussing in the guise of a passive-aggressive question.

I would like to know if there is any value in historians or history? It seems to me they are only relevant when you care about the past rather than the future. Why should I as an average person care about some obscure architect that promoted some obscure style in the 1920s? On second thought I think the whole discipline has no useful purpose or advantage.

Ya, tell me that first post would get me a happy welcome in your circles.

You have to work pretty hard to hit all the usual troll commentary on a first post like that. Especially since if he really cared a simple post like:

"I'm considering getting a mac. Can you folks tell me why you like them so much and was it much trouble to switch from a PC?"

Even given there's a dozen threads just like it, he would have gotten a warm welcome and probably a link to one of those threads where it's all discussed to death.

He's a troll and he got a lot of takers. Get over it.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Oh my, now I have to "get over it." The ultimate put-down.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Oh my, now I have to "get over it." The ultimate put-down.

Nice way to miss the point. 'grats.