Next-gen Apple iPhone rumored to have Magic Mouse-like touch panel

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Pad-like device for Mac computers, it's iPhone + AirMouse app. Awesome thing. I got so used to browse web while stretching in my chaise longue...
  • Reply 22 of 62
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Could have this, could have that...

The next iPhone could have Oreo cookies all over the back, but I'm not betting on that either.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

It's called misdirection, folks. Apple also files a lot of BS patents otherwise their competitors would easily guess which way they're heading.

This is interesting. I've always been sure that Apple has leaked information as test balloons or in order to confuse/mask what they are actually working on... but... I have to admit I never thought of misinformation being used to deplete the efforts and funds of competitors... That would be truly strategic brilliance and a way to recoup losses of a failed effort.

Say Apple really looked into a particular concept. They worked it hard and concluded without a doubt that it couldn't be pulled off and/or the implementation has a subtle but brutal flaw making it a sure loser (but not necessarily an obvious one.)

Why not leak this is the direction you are going to go when you know all your competitors are copying your every move. They start pouring effort into a failed idea, not only do they spend money but they may not even have the discipline to abort the project and release the 'sure to fail' product. It makes Apple look that much better, it makes their competitors look that much worse... AND they are now even further behind on what Apple is really doing. (Much like happen to USSR and the STI (star wars)... although our leader didn't know himself star wars was as dog.... but if he did know, it certainly would have seemed like a brilliant strategic move to break the russians.)

Maybe this stuff doesn't go on.... but it's cool to think it does, especially now that the cold war is over.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Nonsense.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new hardware could also include an updated version of the iPhone operating system, Chen said.

In other news:

The sky may indeed look blue this summer and leaves may/could fall from the trees this autumn.

Water may very well be wet too.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:

It's called misdirection, folks. Apple also files a lot of BS patents otherwise their competitors would easily guess which way they're heading.

not to mention when their competitors come up with some great "new" gimmick feature and then have to pay Apple royalties.

Which Apple uses to fund the BS patent violation suits the same companies file over some other bit of nonsense.

its the circle of patent life
  • Reply 27 of 62
    So we can use our phones as our mice as well? great idea. Obviously not true.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Removable battery? Not in a million years!
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

So we can use our phones as our mice as well? great idea. Obviously not true.

i almost have to wonder if someone has misunderstood. because the iphone gestures were designed hand and hand with the new trackpads and the new mouse.

and if you look at the mouse, the plastic is the top surface. not along the sides or bottom. so this notion of wrap around sensors on the iphone doesn't make a lot of sense if it is supposed to be copied from the mouse.

seems to me that someone heard something about plastic and mouse and since the only plastic on the phone is the back, made a bad leap in their logic and assumed they must mean the back casing of the phone. even though logically it doesn't make that much sense
  • Reply 30 of 62
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

not to mention when their competitors come up with some great "new" gimmick feature and then have to pay Apple royalties.

Which Apple uses to fund the BS patent violation suits the same companies file over some other bit of nonsense.

its the circle of patent life

• Reply 31 of 62
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    I think there is milage in the idea of the tablet having some form on input on the rear of the device, whether it's a few buttons, or more likely a small trackpad sized area (or a couple on each end) for touch input - imagine using it as a sort of "shift" key, to alter the touch input on the main screen?
  • Reply 32 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Could have this, could have that...

The next iPhone could have Oreo cookies all over the back, but I'm not betting on that either.

No, Oreo cookies is one patent they wouldn't dare infringe on.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Removable battery? Not in a million years!

I don't know, a million years is a ling time.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Apple really could have an impact in this area. If there is a touch sensitive casing it can be determined if the phone is being held by hand. Sensors can be placed in the car to determine where the person with the phone is seated (driver, passenger). If the car is moving and the driver is holding the phone the phone then prevents certain functions from being used. This would be a dream come true to parents with teenagers.

This idea is very good, but I don't think it is possible to put such sensors in a phone. Moreover, any feature like that is basically activated using a software. So if the user wants, it can be turned on/off at will. Thus, having such a program installed on a phone becomes pointless, as it can be turned on/off at the child's will.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No, Oreo cookies is one patent they wouldn't dare infringe on.

Thanks for dashing my hopes. If the next iPhone could have somehow magically produced Oreo cookies, I would have been first in line to buy one.

Oh well, maybe the built-in Pez dispenser rumor will still pan out.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

All of you are thinking too hard. What if the backing is just to define device orientation. I realize this is what the accelerometer does, but it seems to me the most logical answer, if this idea is really true.

Apple makes products that do specific things, and do them very well. It doesn't need to be complex, it needs to "just work".

My thought exactly. What if rotating the phone while holding the edges results in the same behavior as now (UI "flipping") but holding it with two fingers on the back "locks" the UI when rotating the phone. If the user controlled things like number and placement of fingers, and which behavior was applied (fingers on the back lock, or fingers on the back unlock), you would get some nice customization. If overall "touch patterns" could be learned, then potentially the phone could remember the combination of a hand on the back in "holding the phone to my ear" mode, along with the touch pattern of my face and ear pressed to the phone. Almost zero chance of any other situation even remotely matching that front and back touch pattern, which could then safely be used to auto answer the phone. Phone rings, you look at it who is calling, decide you want to answer and put the phone to your ear, phone answers. Sweet.

Add three or four other subtle functions like that and a touch enabled back becomes useful. I doubt they would make a back that mimics the function of a Magic mouse or the screen, but as an adjunct input it could be cool.

Gordon
  • Reply 37 of 62
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Well, I believe we will see some interesting new features on the hardware for the new 4th gen iphone.

What the hell does Apple care about the accessory makers when it comes to the design of Apple products? They are a nice afterthought, a nice way to make some extra licensing money, but that's it.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Quote:

They also do it to catch potential feature-leakers. As for the patents, if they are actually doable at some point then they've covered themselves and can sick their lawyers on potential violators.

I must admit, I've a hard time seeing the point of a touch sensitive back. I'd be concerned about accidentally triggering something I didn't want to happen. But, hey, but what do I know about it?

All the rumors and conjecture sure are fun!
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Thanks for dashing my hopes. If the next iPhone could have somehow magically produced Oreo cookies, I would have been first in line to buy one.

Oh well, maybe the built-in Pez dispenser rumor will still pan out.

All that crap is bad for your teeth. iDrill anyone?
  • Reply 40 of 62
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    What is a touch sensitive back gonna allow me to do? Unless you can flip it over and use it as a mouse somehow I don't really see the point.