Apple in position to increase acquisition activity in 2010 - report

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Running out of ideas? Need some fresh talent?
  • Reply 42 of 50
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    ? what about acquiring Nvidia?
  • Reply 43 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Twitter is the next one Apple should try to get. They're a great modern company with huge clout and even huger potential.

I say buy Twitter for 1B or so, if they can get it, and employ Loren Britcher to build the next version of Tweetie: called on the homescreen "Twitter" right into the iPhone OS. And into the Mac OS also. Continue to let Twitter run semi-independently, and they would report back and fourth to Apple. Apple would also help set the direction, sort of like the Disney-Pixar deal. It would be awesome, and forward thinking. Besides, for some reason Twitter teaming up with Apple sort of feels right somehow.

All iPods and iPhones would end up getting Twitter built in, and a whole lot of people would start to use it. Replacing e-mail for young people, and possible chat clients for many others.

And they could then, even activate Twitter e-mail, i.e. your e-mail address could be "username"@twitter.com, but you'd only be able to receive e-mail from people you follow on Twitter. Gosh, I'm good!
  • Reply 44 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

… what about acquiring Nvidia?

Market cap of nearly 10B, would never happen.

Similarly Adobe is worth nearly 19B.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

If Buffett is OK with dividends, why am I not seeing any pay-outs? I own Class B shares of Berkshire-Hathaway (BRK-B).

I realize that Buffett has recently acquiecsed to stock splits under certain conditions (I'm waiting for that for my Class B shares), but this dividend stuff is news.

He doen't pay any to his shareholders, but he certainly buys stocks that do.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    If Nvidia is an Target then they should Buy ARM first. Which is only 3 - 4B. But even ARM is far too expensive at P/E 55...... with only 150M of Cash.

Again, Apple should buy more prperties for their Apple Store instead of renting it. Just Choose the top 100, high Profile store.

I would love to know more about Universial Display. It looks good, but i thought Kodak owns the major patents regarding to OLED. How does UD compare?
  • Reply 47 of 50
    I think, and someone has probably already mentioned this, that apple should look at acquiring an audio video sound supplier, such as B&W, Cambridge Soundworks, aperion, or thespeakercompany.

I think since they are moving more and more into home entertainment they should create home theater and home entertainment systems, scalable from 2.1 to 9.2 and beyond.

I think they should combine the Mac Mini and the apple TV and include a blu-ray drive that will eventually be outdated, but will serve the necessary purpose of selling he product for a purpose it's already being used for.

I feel this would a great move for apple and the market is ripe for such a move.

Maybe I should be a speculator as well? Apparently Aston Martin is now using an idea I came up with 4 years ago, using a watch to unlock and start their cars; I came up with Infrared in cars 7 years before cadillac actually did it (I was 16 and intellectual property law was still being defined; and I still have the drawings I did in 1992 of what is now going to be the new Mercedes gullwing.

Apparently I'm in the wrong business and speculators that have gotten it wrong still have jobs, so why the hell not?

(this is sarcasm, btw)
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

I think, and someone has probably already mentioned this, that apple should look at acquiring an audio video sound supplier, such as B&W, Cambridge Soundworks, aperion, or thespeakercompany.

I think since they are moving more and more into home entertainment they should create home theater and home entertainment systems, scalable from 2.1 to 9.2 and beyond.

It should happen, but it won't happen.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

If Nvidia is an Target then they should Buy ARM first. Which is only 3 - 4B.

Where did you get that figure for ARM's cap?
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Apple used to own a large part of ARM, but they sold a lot of it off a number of years ago. Maybe all, I'm not sure.

ARM trades in the US as an ADR so it's a little difficult to determine their market cap, but Motley Fool says it's currently just under $4b.

http://caps.fool.com/Ticker/ARMH.aspx