Apple hits back at Nokia, asks ITC to ban handset imports

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The ongoing patent and licensing dispute between handset makers Apple and Nokia took yet another twist this week, as the iPhone maker has asked the International Trade Commission to ban the import of Nokia's phones into the U.S.

Apple's latest move is in response to a move in December from Nokia, when it too asked the ITC to ban the import of Apple products. This week's latest patent infringement suit is the latest in a list of legal battles the two companies are engaged in.

A notice of complaint from Apple was posted on the ITC Web site Friday without any detail. The ITC oversees U.S. trade and deals with matters that include patent infringement.

The battle first began in October, when Nokia sued Apple over the use of patented wireless standards. Nokia has alleged that the iPhone maker has infringed on GSM and wireless LAN related patents it owns.

Two months later, Apple countersued Nokia over its own patented technologies. Apple has alleged that Nokia has attempted to obtain more money from it than other companies, as well as rights to Apple's intellectual property.

Nokia previously asked the ITC to ban the import of Apple products, including iPhones, iPods and MacBooks, into the U.S. Nokia's ITC complaint accuses Apple of treading on seven distinct patents applying to user interface, camera, antenna and power management.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD)

What sore losers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutuall...ed_destruction
  • Reply 2 of 85
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Nokia previously asked the ITC to ban the import of Apple products, including iPhones, iPods and MacBooks, into the U.S.

Wait, Nokia asked the US to ban a US company's products from its own market? Good luck with that, Nokia. I sincerely hope they lose this one, given that the Macbook and iPod series doesn't even have ANYTHING to do with their patent infringement, if Apple even infringed at all. Nokia's just being stupid here.
  • Reply 3 of 85
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Wait, Nokia asked the US to ban a US company's products from its own market? Good luck with that, Nokia. I sincerely hope they lose this one, given that the Macbook series doesn't even have ANYTHING to do with their patent infringement, if Apple even infringed at all. Nokia's just being stupid here.

If Apple had nothing to fear they'd simply march into the courtroom and have it dealt with. There's always an outside chance they might come out of the wrong of this. These are simply negotiating tactics.

Draw swords!
  • Reply 4 of 85
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Wait, Nokia asked the US to ban a US company's products from its own market?

No Nokia asked the U.S. International Trade Commission to ban the import of Apple products into the U.S.

Apple has their products made in China or Taiwan, perhaps other places too, like in Europe.
  • Reply 5 of 85
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Speaking of China, seems they are cracking down on text messages too. So the business environment is souring there in a hurry. Apple should pull their manufacturing out fast and re-establish back in the U.S., that will make Nokia have to revise their lawsuit and make it less easier to enact the ban.

Your posts have a pattern now I realise. They start with a fact that you have read somewhere; followed by an assertion that is simply wrong; followed by a conclusion that is breathtaking in its stupidity. Nobody can be such an idiot. I now suspect that you are in fact merely playing with the boring conventions of logic, wisdom, common sense etc and that we should all recognise and bow before your genius.

I await your next prose-poem with barely contained anticipation.
  • Reply 6 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

If Apple had nothing to fear they'd simply march into the courtroom and have it dealt with. There's always an outside chance they might come out of the wrong of this. These are simply negotiating tactics.

Draw swords!

I agree. I think they are both posturing. Apple needs Nokia technology and Nokia needs Apple's UI know how. They will posture, threaten, argue, etc.. Lawyers will get fatter, and in the end it will be quietly settled outside of a courthouse. I would be surprised to see headlines announcing: "Noka and Apple reach agreement. Both parties agree to forge new bold initiatives into mobile technologies."
  • Reply 7 of 85
    I would prefer to see Nokia get knocked out. This would ease the pain I had with their phones. Of all the phones I used, and that where a lot the last 10 years the ones from Nokia where the worst. It's impossible that Apple ripped Nokia technology because wouldn't that make the iPhone a crappy product as well?
  • Reply 8 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Draw swords!

As an apropos example of things not going your way in court despite overwhelming confidence is Apple Computer v. Apple Corps. Apple Corps sued and won and/or settled with Apple Computer several times over nearly 3 decacdes, but in 2003 they sued Apple Computer yet again for the iTunes Music Store which Apple Corps felt violated their previous agreement. Apple Computer offered them $1M, but Apple Corps rejected it and went to court for $500M. Not only did Apple Corps lose they had to pay their own legal fees on top of $2.78M they had to pay Apple Computers. Talk about a backfire.
  • Reply 9 of 85
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

I agree. I think they are both posturing. Apple needs Nokia technology and Nokia needs Apple's UI know how. They will posture, threaten, argue, etc.. Lawyers will get fatter, and in the end it will be quietly settled outside of a courthouse. I would be surprised to see headlines announcing: "Noka and Apple reach agreement. Both parties agree to forge new bold initiatives into mobile technologies."

The thing is, Nokia's technology has been incorporated into handset standards, which is why they are more or less obliged to license it at standard rates.

Whereas there is no reason on earth Apple should be obliged to provide Nokia with "UI know how."

If it's true that Nokia has attempted to jack up Apple by demanding out of line licensing fees for tech that they license to every other phone manufacturer for less, I can't see where that's not going to be a problem for them in court.
  • Reply 10 of 85
    Perhaps there are legitimate claims here.

But right now both Apple and Nokia sound like a couple going through a bad divorce.
  • Reply 11 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The thing is, Nokia's technology has been incorporated into handset standards, which is why they are more or less obliged to license it at standard rates.

Whereas there is no reason on earth Apple should be obliged to provide Nokia with "UI know how."

If it's true that Nokia has attempted to jack up Apple by demanding out of line licensing fees for tech that they license to every other phone manufacturer for less, I can't see where that's not going to be a problem for them in court.

You have a point. I am really concerned more about the fact that Nokia only wants 10 very specific patents examined rather than a blanket infringement. This is where Apple may have problems.
  • Reply 12 of 85
    I cornered beast fights hardest. It seems to me that Nokia is scared of Apple's rapid progress into smartphones, and they don't have a suitable programme to counter Apple. They're playing for time to get their house in order. Otherwise (if you believe what Apple has said), Nokia would have granted Aplple the same licensing terms as every other company.
  • Reply 13 of 85
    Quote:

in the end it will be quietly settled outside of a courthouse.

Maybe a pistol duel? Or a good old cat fight? Though neither are especially quiet.

Quote:

I would be surprised to see headlines announcing: "Noka and Apple reach agreement. Both parties agree to forge new bold initiatives into mobile technologies."

The headline will be "Nokia and Apple reach agreement. Both decline further comment."
  • Reply 14 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Maybe a pistol duel? Or a good old cat fight? Though neither are especially quiet.

The headline will be "Nokia and Apple reach agreement. Both decline further comment."

I like yours better.
  • Reply 15 of 85
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Wait, Nokia asked the US to ban a US company's products from its own market? Good luck with that, Nokia. I sincerely hope they lose this one, given that the Macbook and iPod series doesn't even have ANYTHING to do with their patent infringement, if Apple even infringed at all. Nokia's just being stupid here.

They are both international companies. Their products have multiple countries of origin and sell around the world.
  • Reply 16 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Your posts have a pattern now I realise. They start with a fact that you have read somewhere; followed by an assertion that is simply wrong; followed by a conclusion that is breathtaking in its stupidity. Nobody can be such an idiot. I now suspect that you are in fact merely playing with the boring conventions of logic, wisdom, common sense etc and that we should all recognise and bow before your genius.

And so he embodies the spirit of that once-lived member......techstud.

May he never live again.
  • Reply 17 of 85
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

And so he embodies the spirit of that once-lived member......techstud.

May he never live again.

nah mac tripper is truly insane

repeating the same mantra over and over shows cracks in his .....

on topic

nokia better becareful

apple will bite it
  • Reply 18 of 85
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    woohoo! corporate pissing contest!

• Reply 19 of 85
    I would love to see a well though out legal based opinion on all these law suits. Everything else is wild speculation.
  • Reply 20 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

I await your next prose-poem with barely contained anticipation.

I enjoyed that. Thanks.