More evidence of 'iPad' name, AT&T bracing for 'unannounced devices'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

The iPad will be between 10 and 11 inches and go on sale in Q1 while the larger iSlate will be go on sale in Q2 after durability and battery life issues have been resolved.

You heard it here first... Time will tell.

this is BS!

so what the hell would Apple do with that first-step creaton, iPad, after being released the iSlate? this can't happen IMHO.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple began the process last September, and has continued to ask to have the option open to oppose the name.

Based on the weasel-y wording in the bolded portion, FUD, I'd say.
  • Reply 23 of 71
    Sorry to bring up he-who-shall-not-be-named: In all fairness, Techstud was the first to call it iPad (and I railed against it). I'll have to eat my hat is it comes to pass.....
  • Reply 24 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

I don't understand you, guys... why do you think the tablet would be subsidized??? it's not expected to be a big-screen iPhone, it's much more likely to serve as a "super-iPod Touch" that you can't buy with contract, evenif you can be connected to the internet via wifi. So, why should we need 3G network for that? if the iPod Touch sells great with wifi...

I don't want it to be. The reason why I would think that is because almost every single article/rumor related to this device that they are coming out with ties it to a cell network, some how some way.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    Quote:

this is BS!

so what the hell would Apple do with that first-step creaton, iPad, after being released the iSlate? this can't happen IMHO.

Well let's see: paper note books come in 2 main sizes:

a. 8.5 x 11

b. 5.5 x 8.5

a. iSlate $1200.

b. iPad $800.

Why not? Time will tell.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

this exactly doesn't mean the name will be iPad, as they trademarked many other potential names, too. And protecting themselves against Fujitsu is just to protect the "latest creaton" whatever it'll be called.

I?m with you, I think it?s just to protect against the similarities of iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You mean AT&T finally giving us tethering?!

Seriously, AT&T need to give us what they promised before they start preparing for anything else.

AT&T has to be working to allow tethering since it?s such a financial draw and people like me are just taking it because they can?t buy it.

I think that using 3GSM for the tablet makes the most sense, even if they do announce a CDMA version of the iPhone. The overall sales will be low compared to the iPhone and dropped calls have no affect on a tablet pulling data.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think that using 3GSM for the tablet makes the most sense, even if they do announce a CDMA version of the iPhone. The overall sales will be low compared to the iPhone and dropped calls have no affect on a tablet pulling data.

And world wide compatibility if they want to sell it in other countries.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Quote:

a. 8.5 x 11

b. 5.5 x 8.5

a. iSlate $1200.

b. iPad $800.

Why not? Time will tell.

I'd go for that. Just not those prices. Drop each by $200 and you're talking.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    iPad FTW!!!!!!!
  • Reply 30 of 71
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

a. 8.5 x 11

b. 5.5 x 8.5

a. iSlate $1200.

b. iPad $800.

Why not? Time will tell.

a is a 13.9 inch screen, something I have not seen speculated anywhere. That thing would be freaking enormous!

b of course is a 10.1 inch screen, which seems to be the dominate speculation.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,155member
    *Waits for the Microsoft Tampon to be announced*

Seriously though, wont Maxipad sue them?
  • Reply 32 of 71
    It's a much better name than iSlate, at least.
  • Reply 33 of 71
    Pad and Tablet sound a bit mundane, like a dog-eared yellow legal pad on someone's desk.

Slate sounds a bit 19th century. It evokes images of a young Abe Lincoln sitting in front of the fireplace learning to read on a small chalkboard.

I'm gonna go with iTouch. "I touch" the screen to interact with the device.
  • Reply 34 of 71
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

It's a much better name than iSlate, at least.

I agree. Eventually the stupid tampon jokes will go away and all will be left is the grandeur and popularity of this device.

iPad is sure as heck better than iSlate.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Here's the thing. "iPad" might sound awkward now, but so did "iPod." Anyone remember that? People were like "What? A pod? Like, a seed pod? Some kind of spacecraft? That's the stupidest name I ever heard."

And now, of course, "iPod" is just what it's called, like "zipper" and "kleenex." If this product is successful in the way of some of Apple's other products, they could call it "iMonkey'sAss" and before to too long you'll forget you ever had misgivings. It'll just be what you call that ubiquitous thing that everybody has.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Here's the thing. "iPad" might sound awkward now, but so did "iPod." Anyone remember that? People were like "What? A pod? Like, a seed pod? Some kind of spacecraft? That's the stupidest name I ever heard."

And now, of course, "iPod" is just what it's called, like "zipper" and "kleenex." If this product is successful in the way of some of Apple's other products, they could call it "iMonkey'sAss" and before to too long you'll forget you ever had misgivings. It'll just be what you call that ubiquitous thing that everybody has.

True, but I doubt that iPad is likely since it?s too similar to iPod.
  • Reply 37 of 71
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    StayFree is going to be so upset. I figured they were working in a 5 day a month iPod integration product.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

True, but I doubt that iPad is likely since it?s too similar to iPod.

Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe they'll call it the "iFune."
  • Reply 39 of 71
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe they'll call it the "iFune."

zLate -- everyone will want the iSlate, but 2 years later, you can also get the zLate.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    iKotex?