Apple plans second fix for flickering 27-inch iMacs - reports

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Would you really consider the new iMacs to be a first generation product though? Sure, they're the first 27' ones I guess.

What is similar to the older models besides the design of the case? It most definitely is a first generation product.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    I am sure we may never know. But I'd like to see what actual percentage of the iMacs are having this issue. Some of the reports and rumors about it use words like "majority" and "high percentage" yet their source is usually the amount of posts on the apple discussion forum, which, IMO is the worst kind of source.

Apple has sold millions of the new iMacs. So if the issue is with say 10k, yes it is unfortunate for those owners, but does that constitute all of the attention it's been getting? Or is it simply because it's apple and something to talk about?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

What is similar to the older models besides the design of the case? It most definitely is a first generation product.

The use of desktop-grade CPUs and GPUs, the display size, resolution and aspect ratio size, the case alterations. With Apple and many other tech companies each revision, even if the case/display dimensions stay the same there are many parts that can be considered first-generation. Even it?s mostly just a speed bump the logic board was likely tweaked and different vendor components used for various reasons which means there is always a risk to be had.

Still, despite these rampant problems I wouldn?t not recommend a 27? iMac. I?d say go into the Apple Store to buy it and have them pull it out and test it there before taking home just to make sure you didn?t get a dud. I did that with my 13? MBP to make sure I got a particular display panel type as Apple were(are) using two different types with varying quality. I got lucky with the first one.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Still, despite these rampant problems I wouldn?t not recommend a 27? iMac. I?d say go into the Apple Store to buy it and have them pull it out and test it there before taking home just to make sure you didn?t get a dud. I did that with my 13? MBP to make sure I got a particular display panel type as Apple were(are) using two different types with varying quality. I got lucky with the first one.

That seems like pretty sensible advice.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Still, despite these rampant problems I wouldn’t not recommend a 27” iMac. I’d say go into the Apple Store to buy it and have them pull it out and test it there before taking home just to make sure you didn’t get a dud. I did that with my 13’ MBP to make sure I got a particular display panel type as Apple were(are) using two different types with varying quality. I got lucky with the first one.

Really? What are the 2 types?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I ordered an i7 from apple which was delayed until early Feb. I cancelled that and bought an i5 on thursday of last week from Amazon which arrived on Friday. It's been flawless....except for the stupid magic mouse which decided it didn't want to be 'magic' anymore. Time to reset pram.

No yellow, no flickering, seems great. Screen is fabulous. Serial number says its from last week of 2009.

Alas, my i5 was made in december also. No issues for 2 days, then the screen would start flickering and eventually black out at times. It started instantly on bootup in front of the Genius who claimed I was the first iMac the stores seen and that it isnt a widespread issue. He went as far as to tell me that the internet is lying and that maybe a few displays were bad but not alot, but he "mine as well order more video cards" since i may be the first of many. I want to ask him now, since this 2nd fix is in the works, if he still thinks its not widespread.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:

A fine idea, but with both of the 27' iMacs we have that show the issue, it doesn't start happening until you've been using the machine for at least 30 mins (which would suggest a heat issue to me).
  • Reply 28 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

A fine idea, but with both of the 27' iMacs we have that show the issue, it doesn't start happening until you've been using the machine for at least 30 mins (which would suggest a heat issue to me).

I say do it general just to make you sure don’t get a dud as CE can will have issues, but it certainly isn’t prudent to sit around for a half hour.

This AnandTech article was interesting. They have a $1000 27” monitor that apparently uses the same IPS panel in the iMac but the LED backlight quality varies between the two. I have to wonder, besides some GPU driver issues if there isn’t also a problem with the backlight itself.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    mkanemkane Posts: 41member
    To me this seems like a power supply issue. When you add the i5/i7 with the 4850 video card, it's going to require a better power supply than what's in the other model iMacs. I'm not sure if the 27in i5/i7 iMacs use the same watt power supply as the other offering, but if it does then I'm willing to bet it is the problem.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:

I say do it general just to make you sure don?t get a dud as CE can will have issues, but it certainly isn?t prudent to sit around for a half hour.

This AnandTech article was interesting. They have a $1000 27? monitor that apparently uses the same IPS panel in the iMac but the LED backlight quality varies between the two. I have to wonder, besides some GPU driver issues if there isn?t also a problem with the backlight itself.

Other then a driver issue with the GPU it could also be a firmware issue like it was with the first Gen ALU iMacs. One of the issues with the gen 1 ALU iMacs is Apple was attempting to downgrade the GPU from an ATI 2600xt to a 2600gt which was causing issues. The iMac was listed as having a 2600gt but when you ran Windows the device manager showed it actually had a 2600xt installed. Apple was lowering hte specs throught firmware to control heat which didn't work out very well.

About four months later they issues a firmware patch that resolved the issue.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

hahahaha.

seriously though, what else did ferris666 report? Any dates on the apocalypse?
  • Reply 32 of 32
    I bought my 27" C2D on the first day of availibility, no issues. Best computer I've ever owned. I've sold 6 27" C2D's and one i7 model, and no issues so far. I'm guessing this doesn't affect all machines then? Sad for those affected... Keep sending it back. I had pixelated and freeze, but only in windows, on my first intel iMac.