Apple's earnings impress, but analysts hold breath for 'latest creation'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Aple could come up with;

1 - a cure for cancer

2 - a device to immediately transport anyone across the globe (transporter)

3 - a device to run a computer completely with mind power

and the stock would be downgraded & immediately drop $10 and people would complain of "lackluster ideas and forward looking vision".

Apple invents antigravity.

Apple cures cancer.

Analysts say they are waiting to see if Apple is going to sell tablet before recommending stock as a buy.

World holds breath on direction of Anal - ists!!! Stock drops!!

Heh Heh. I hope the stock tanks quite a bit. I am ready to b uy more. Just want the price to drop so I can make more money.

My adviser pointed my toward oil stock. Its down 40%.

My Apple (that he advised against ) is up from a low of 80. :-)

Just a thought.

en
  • Reply 22 of 31
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Aple could come up with;

1 - a cure for cancer

2 - a device to immediately transport anyone across the globe (transporter)

3 - a device to run a computer completely with mind power

and the stock would be downgraded & immediately drop $10 and people would complain of "lackluster ideas and forward looking vision".

"...these are NOT three separate devices!"
  • Reply 23 of 31
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Are these numbers (RIM's) somewhat skewed by the fact they had "Buy one get one FREE" going on?

It could be, what 5 million instead, which would be LESS then Apple?

The offer was limited to North America. That's 5% of the world's population and at most 50% of RIM's market.

Remember that the iPhone is also available in lots of countries for free. It certainly is where I live. Shall we not count those sales either?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

"...these are NOT three separate devices!"

BAM!

Good one...
  • Reply 25 of 31
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The offer was limited to North America. That's 5% of the world's population and at most 50% of RIM's market.

Remember that the iPhone is also available in lots of countries for free. It certainly is where I live. Shall we not count those sales either?

I think it's safe to assume there were lots more free Blackberries given out than iPhones.

The borrom line is tha , as the article says, "the iPhone commands double the average selling price of RIM's BlackBerries."
  • Reply 26 of 31
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I managed to talk my girlfriend into investing 100% of her stash a few years back. Even though I knew Apple was a sure fire winner, it still made me pretty nervous, as had Apple failed, my balls would have been chopped off.

Investing 100% of your assets in to anything is simply poor fianacial planning. No matter how well you understand the company, the industry or the people involved. Realize here I'm a big fan of Apples recent products but your future wealth should not depend upon one investment or even industry.

Dave
  • Reply 27 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I think we should count sales by revenue and profit, not units. Not are free devices are equal in value. RiM certainly isn?t getting paid from the carrier anywhere near what Apple is getting paid for an iPhone. They might be in the same general smartphone category but most BBs are very cheap in comparison.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think we should count sales by revenue and profit, not units. Not are free devices are equal in value. RiM certainly isn?t getting paid from the carrier anywhere near what Apple is getting paid for an iPhone. They might be in the same general smartphone category but most BBs are very cheap in comparison.

Revenue and profit can be equally as misleading though. Many companies are willing to accept lower sale prices in return for sales of complementary goods or services.

For example, the iTunes store is run at just above break even. Why? Because it helps drive hardware sales (Apple's main business). Similarly, RIM produces lower price device in order to drive it's subscription-based push e-mail service.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:

Revenue and profit can be equally as misleading though. Many companies are willing to accept lower sale prices in return for sales of complementary goods or services.

For example, the iTunes store is run at just above break even. Why? Because it helps drive hardware sales (Apple's main business). Similarly, RIM produces lower price device in order to drive it's subscription-based push e-mail service.

Which has to end up generating revenue and profits... that being the name of the game.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    All I can say is that I'm so bloody happy to have bought Apple at a split-adjusted stock price of $6.50/share.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

All I can say is that I'm so bloody happy to have bought Apple at a split-adjusted stock price of $6.50/share.

So did I (a bit lower, actually), but I am also painfully aware of the fact that AAPL has returned 0% over the past two years. Now that's certainly a lot better performance than I've seen from other stocks in my portfolio which have regressed, but then none of them have grown their profits so specularly during that time period either. The markets have been bidding AAPL's P/E down steadily for two years now, which means that investors are saying that the growth story is over. I don't think it is, but frankly, I'm starting to get kind of antsy