McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet

Comments

• Reply 81 of 235
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

I bet there's a chill wind blowing up that guy's shorts tonight.

...Erin go brea....

It's eminently possible Apple authorized him to 'leak' this info.
  • Reply 82 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

...Erin go brea....

brách.
  • Reply 83 of 235
    Either he is complicit with Apple or he is one of the reason paper media is not doing well. How brain dead, or arrogant can you be? I just feel sorry for the guys from McGraw-Hill who actually did the negotiations and understood the requirements of keeping their mouths shut. I'm sure they will have great difficulty in the future of getting the best deals from Apple. Meanwhile this fool will get his bonus and probably leave to go to work for some other board.
  • Reply 84 of 235
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not sure I agree with you but your argument certainly does have merit. From what I can tell, McGraw-Hill's marketshare looks to be about 40% for the financials segment and 35% for the educations segment. I have to concede that would be a smart play.

Maybe a smart play for Apple, but why would McGraw-Hill play along? What do they have to gain by enticing other publishers to get onboard? They'd lose the differentiator of being on Apple's device and just create more competition for themselves.
  • Reply 85 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not sure I agree with you but your argument certainly does have merit. From what I can tell, McGraw-Hill's marketshare looks to be about 40% for the financials segment and 35% for the educations segment. I have to concede that would be a smart play.

Its not all that thrilling that the Tablet is going to run the iPhone OS.
  • Reply 86 of 235
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

are you sure about that?

I cant speak for everyone but i have to assume your computer needs extend beyond basic word/powerpoint. I use my hackintosh for lecture note taking, Photoshop CS4 for fun, and Windows 7 on the other partition so i can do all my programming homework and to run those lovely little programs that come bundled with my exorbitantly priced textbook.

Now if this tablet does all that, which i severely doubt it will running on the iPhone OS then yes i wouldn't need a computer at all
  • Reply 87 of 235
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Maybe the talks between Apple and MH broke down a while ago and he's just talking out of his ass... both for the same reason.
  • Reply 88 of 235
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

That right there is the biggest problem. Our community college is adopting a new program in 2 years where they will be purchasing 30k+ ebooks for students (price reflected in tuition of course) and every book is supposedly sold at 25 to 45 bucks which is significantly cheaper than your average 130 dollar textbook.

For this tablet to be successful for education (30% education discount maybe?) it cant be outrageously priced and its as simple as that, especially since you will STILL need a computer in conjunction with this. If its reasonably priced i could see it being a hit in schools.

You're forgetting about the grey market, alternative eBooks to the publishers proscribed models and the fact that any computer in the world (including an iPhone), can read a PDF file.

This is (hopefully) the same as the music and video markets. The dinosaur companies will be enticed in by the shiny profits not realising they are about to be hit by an asteroid called the free market.

The book publishing industry just went through a ten year period where all the small publishers were knocked off by the big ones and now one or two companies own the whole lot. Today's publishers have zero competition and set prices however they like. New books are hardly produced at all, the publishers just put fins on the old ones. The market is generally dying a slow death.

If Steve stays true to form and Apple isn't totally corrupt, the tablet might see the advent of real price competition in those markets, new independent publishers, authors actually getting the lions share of the money for their work, and almost certainly the death of some of the gigantic publishing concerns we have to deal with today.

Good riddance, I say.
  • Reply 89 of 235
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Maybe a smart play for Apple, but why would McGraw-Hill play along? What do they have to gain by enticing other publishers to get onboard? They'd lose the differentiator of being on Apple's device and just create more competition for themselves.

I see your point, but if he did want to give his company a leg up without making their competition react then why say anything at all about it. There simply are a plethora of reasons the CEO would want to be the spill the beans. Off the top of my head: opportunist seeking the spotlight, free press for him or MH, and/or hubris in thinking their dominance will not be matched.
  • Reply 90 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

This thread needs more Erin Burnett

Not only is she not 'that' hot, she's a gold digger, it seems.

http://www.menshealth.com/men/best-l...10000013281eac
  • Reply 91 of 235
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    [QUOTE=Mazda 3s;1557408]This thread needs more Erin Burnett /QUOTE]

First, Erin said, she likes the smell of her own...

Second, Erin hates Apple, she's always slamming the iPhone. If she was any good as a financial reporter she would have jumped all over the revelation and dug for more details.

Third, the McGraw Hill guy probably knows only 10% of the deal. So what if it does textbooks. So what if it runs the iPhone APIs. That doesn't mean it won't run desktop apps. He only knows what Apple wanted him to know which is only the stuff relevant to textbooks.
  • Reply 92 of 235
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hha View Post

"Now, with the tabloid, you're gonna open up the higher education tablet..."

TABLOID as a NAME???

I was thinking the same thing when he slipped that in. he did correct it to 'the tablet' but I wonder if it wasn't more telling than a simple slip.
  • Reply 93 of 235
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I was thinking the same thing when he slipped that in. he did correct it to 'the tablet' but I wonder if it wasn't more telling than a simple slip.

I hope not. Tabloid is 11" x 17". Plus it has questionable connotations.
  • Reply 94 of 235
    Yesterday the New York TImes reported that the Times was customizing an e-version for use with "reader applications," although it's been widely reported that Apple and the NYT have been working together on this project for a year. While McGraw-Hill's CEO was less coy than the Times has been, his comments really don't add to what others have already confirmed about the iPad. So... I don't anticipate any spankings for this guy.
  • Reply 95 of 235
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Can I buy you some sense of humor?

(Don't be predictable in your response).

Humor is free, his comment wasn't funny. I said "though", I meant "tough". I.E. Whether Jobs is pissed or not who cares.
  • Reply 96 of 235
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pnajar View Post

Either he is complicit with Apple or he is one of the reason paper media is not doing well. How brain dead, or arrogant can you be? I just feel sorry for the guys from McGraw-Hill who actually did the negotiations and understood the requirements of keeping their mouths shut. I'm sure they will have great difficulty in the future of getting the best deals from Apple. Meanwhile this fool will get his bonus and probably leave to go to work for some other board.

He's not Apple savvy - more to the point, I can't even imagine that this guy has met Jobs.

If he has? Well, he didn't absorb much at the meeting. Jobs still hasn't managed to settle down, still ranting and raving, throwing stuff around - well, it's what I imagine he's doin'!

I'm positive this guy knows nothing of the hundreds of forums waiting for THE 'announcement' - from Steve.

This is the type of CEO who wouldn't know a HDD from a SSD - idiot.
  • Reply 97 of 235
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Not only is she not 'that' hot, she's a gold digger, it seems.

http://www.menshealth.com/men/best-l...10000013281eac

I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating Cheetos (you probably wouldn't either )

• Reply 98 of 235
    It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the tablet will run the iPhone OS and not OS X. The tablet, by its very nature, is not suited to running programs that make sense on a laptop or destop.

It's simple, really. Set up the device to run Mac OS and inevitably there are fools out in the wild who try to run programs on the device which it simply can't run at all well. They will then complain that the thing isn't working well.

Instead, Apple will deliberately limit the tablet to the tasks for which it is suited, which are many.

Many have complained that if the Tablet is a Touch with a larger screen, they'll be disappointed. Prepare to be disappointed. But it should be noted that the good news is that being as the tablet will not be designed to replace a full-feature laptop, it will be priced accordingly, i.e. below $700.

My guess is a 7-inch screen to achieve the desired price point, as opposed to the rumoured 10-inch screen. $500 would be a good long-term price target with a price a little higher likely to start. Two memory capacities and you've got price points between the Touch and a MacBook covered.

Don't think of it as merely a bigger Touch. Think of it as a great portable device for browsing, reading, gaming, organizing, notetaking, viewing movies, sharing photos, and so on. This is all stuff that you can do more or less now with a Touch but the screen is just too small to do all of the above comfortably. The tablet would change all of that. Combine that with a price below $700 and Apple won't be able to build them fast enough.

Those complaining because the device can't run Mac OS will only be making fools of themselves in that it will in no way hinder this unit's marketability.

A jumbo Touch a game-changing device?

Bet on it.
  • Reply 99 of 235
    But OMG, that voice. She sounds like a Valley Girl on amphetamines.
  • Reply 100 of 235
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I can somewhat see how the CEO of a larger publishing house might get some inside info on this thing, but I have a hard time see how they'd get access to the nomenclature. I can't imagine it's that easy to choose a name these these days in a global market.

For instance, Apple can't call even use the AirPort in Japan, the AppleTV was introduced as the iTV noting that name was already in use and Cisco argued for the I-phone trademark rights. And as I recall there is already a debate on the validity of an old trademark for iTablet or iPad.