Apple wants to price hardcover bestsellers $13-$15 on tablet - WSJ

Comments

• Reply 61 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

With my Kindle I pay ZERO for the 3g Sprint network to deliver books for usually 9.99 or less. Apple is going to require me to spend big bucks for a data plan and then charge more for book then Amazon does. Bad deal.

Is forcing anyone to do anything.
  • Reply 62 of 155
    As long as we can still read the Project Gutenberg titles for free - or for a "reformatting" cost of say $0.99 to $2.99 if necessary, I'll be happy.

There are thousands of books I can read for free on my iPod Touch. And Stanza is a very nice app.
  • Reply 63 of 155
    I honestly have a hard time seeing this as a Kindle killer or even serious competitor if the screen is not some sort of e-paper. I haven't seen an OLED screen so I can comment on eye strain, but if it's simply an lcd screen, what would separate this from reading on a laptop? Not much.

I am definitely in line for a tablet for other reasons, but I don't see this as a device I'd read on.
  • Reply 64 of 155
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

I doubt it. Why? How many of us got money burning our pockets to buy a Amazon Kindle. The name sounds dumb. Whether it be called Apple iSlate or iPad I'm sold!

You think Kindle sounds dumb, but you're eager for yet another product name that starts with a lower case 'i'? Have you really thought about that objectively?
  • Reply 65 of 155
    I agree. I think Apple should ditch the i and go the route of the apple TV from here on in. Simply use the apple icon in place of the i for all products. I'd much rather have an apple tablet than an iTablet, The i is so last decade.
  • Reply 66 of 155
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]Sure... those prices seem a bit hight when compared to other digital 'written' content providers, but they'll surely drop over time.

BTW - Here's sneak peek at the device itself:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/i...et/1#c25011074[/CENTER]
  • Reply 67 of 155
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

I doubt it. Why? How many of us got money burning our pockets to buy a Amazon Kindle. The name sounds dumb. Whether it be called Apple iSlate or iPad I'm sold!

I don't know why you believe the Kindle's name sounds dumb. It is clearly a reference to throwing/burining your paper books for digital content instead.

There is nothing in a name. It is the substance that is more important. Right now I question the value of an Apple tablet against a Kindle which is only $250. I'm a book reader and could care less about newspapers and magazines. The Kindle serves this purpose better than a tablet.

BTW, where does Apple get the nerve of even charging the prices of a hardcover? If there is any avid book readers in this thread they would truly understand the difference between the a paperback and hardcover. The differences are the binding, quality of the paper, the smell, etc. If Apple believes they can get away with these prices then they have officially jumped the shark.
  • Reply 68 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Sure... those prices seem a bit hight when compared to other digital 'written' content providers, but they'll surely drop over time.

BTW - Here's sneak peek at the device itself:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/i...et/1#c25011074[/CENTER]

BTW - more speculation and rumor.
  • Reply 69 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akumulator View Post

BTW - more speculation and rumor.

[CENTER]Possibly... or Possibly The Actual Device.

It's not like they're all of a sudden going to manufacturer the device 5 minutes before its official unveiling, so there surely must be some actual (photographic) evidence of its existence, and this might well be it.

We'll See Soon Enough...

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 70 of 155
    Correct. But you said "Here's sneak peek at the device itself:" which implies fact more than rumor.

"We'll See Soon Enough... " <-- my point exactly.
  • Reply 71 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

If this is true, what is Apple smoking. #1, I buy most of my books paperback at $7 dollars or so most of the time, odd that I pay $15 a book but regardless those books (especially hardcovers) can be resold. I already have question about the $10 at Kindle, Nook etc... Especially when you can't transfer the book to a friend when your done etc..

Also this is kinda funny in regards to this statement from Steve Jobs: ?It doesn?t matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don?t read anymore,? he said. ?Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole conception is flawed at the top because people don?t read anymore.? -http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/01/steve-jobs-peop/#ixzz0dm2jKoeY

So I guess by raising the prices you are gonna get more book sales? I'm sorry that statement was a total Steve Ballmer, not Steve Jobs thing to say.

You are not paying close enough attention to ALL OF THE various uses that this tablet is going to be good for. Regular books is going to be one piece of the puzzle. That's all, one piece. Textbooks clearly dovetail with apple's focus on education and they clearly have the contacts to make that a big success for the tablet. Then you have to consider all the apps, internet, gaming, etc...The tablet is not just going to ben e-reader. It will likely be one helluva kickass e-reader but that is a small piece of the puzzle.
  • Reply 72 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

I know you meant that as a joke, but this is a long established standard of right of first sale, and I bet you'll see the difficult in doing this as the primary reason all the publishers are jumping on the bandwagon.

No more libraries, no more resale. I love Apple, but I'm sad to see this happening.

I stated on a post 6 months ago, that I see the day, possibly by the end of this decade, that many titles will never see printed hard-cover or paperback versions ever.

Also in the near term, if the publishers want to, they will be able to offer their books as e-versions at or about the same price they do now for printed... and then raise the prices of the printed versions significantly. The price increase will be politicized to the tune of "saving the world's resources" etc., but for many titles, actually a good idea regardless of political BS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

I will buy very few digital books at $14.99, knowing that I can get a hard copy for less than half that price, .....

How do you know the prices will remain at that price-point for the printed version?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamthompson3232 View Post

You are not paying close enough attention to ALL OF THE various uses that this tablet is going to be good for. Regular books is going to be one piece of the puzzle. That's all, one piece. Textbooks clearly dovetail with apple's focus on education and they clearly have the contacts to make that a big success for the tablet. Then you have to consider all the apps, internet, gaming, etc...The tablet is not just going to ben e-reader. It will likely be one helluva kickass e-reader but that is a small piece of the puzzle.

Absolutely correct

Only a few hours to go....
  • Reply 73 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I don't know why you believe the Kindle's name sounds dumb. It is clearly a reference to throwing/burining your paper books for digital content instead.

There is nothing in a name. It is the substance that is more important. Right now I question the value of an Apple tablet against a Kindle which is only $250. I'm a book reader and could care less about newspapers and magazines. The Kindle serves this purpose better than a tablet.

BTW, where does Apple get the nerve of even charging the prices of a hardcover? If there is any avid book readers in this thread they would truly understand the difference between the a paperback and hardcover. The differences are the binding, quality of the paper, the smell, etc. If Apple believes they can get away with these prices then they have officially jumped the shark.

Certainly any avid reader would know the greatest expense from softcover to hardcover: smell. It's grown in the Midwest, picked and packaged by migrant workers, transported by refrigerated truck (to preserve freshness) unloaded and stored in industrial vats awaiting careful application to high end books.

On a serious note, clearly apple would prefer the publisher set the price as low as possible. According to the pricing model presented here their cut doesn't change.
  • Reply 74 of 155
    Quote:

Correct. But you said "Here's sneak peek at the device itself:" which implies fact more than rumor.

He more than implied it. He states it as fact. Then some lame excuses.
  • Reply 75 of 155
    Quote:

[CENTER]Ahhh...

The 'doubters' never tire -

Rest Well

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 76 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

He more than implied it. He states it as fact. Then some lame excuses.

[CENTER]If Logic = Lame in your world, then so be it.

Note: Some 9 hours and all will be revealed, at which point you'll re-evaluate your questioning nature, though I do hope that these content prices are lowered ASAP.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 77 of 155
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    What if... and I'm just thinking out loud here. What if the publisher's got it, and for the higher price over a Kindle book you got an Apple ebook that was DRM free?

Share it. Use it on any device. Back it up.

Would that be worth the $5.00 difference in price over a locked-in Kindle ebook?

Remember, Apple did the same thing with music...
  • Reply 78 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

...That article also lists the cost estimates from other sites like Bookfinder:

Book Retail Price: $27.95.

Retailer (discount, staffing, rent, etc.) ? $12.58. That?s 45%.

Author Royalties ? $4.19. Exactly 15%.

Wholesaler ? $2.80. Exactly 10%.

Pre-production (Publisher) - $3.55. That?s 12.7%.

Printing (Publisher) ? $2.83. Translates to 10.125%.

Marketing (Publisher) ? $2. That?s approximately 7.15%.

Don't like these numbers? Google up some alternatives and we can discuss...

Happy to go with these numbers, time for some sums...

In order for the publisher and author to keep the same amount of cash from that $27.95 book as an eBook sold using Apple's existing 30/70 revenue split the cost to the user would be $13.91.

That's a little less than 50% of the hardback RRP (and yes, I know a huge amount of books are discounted, but it's still a saving to the reader).

That's the royalties, pre-production and marketing elements making up 70% of the sale price.

Whilst actual costs per book for the pre-production and marketing will vary dependent on volume sold, it is fair to say that on average if the price point is lower then more units would be sold, so those costs would reduce on a per unit basis. Basically (for the sake of simplicity), let's just say they remain at a similar % level of the cost of sale, regardless of the sale price...

So when the softback comes out, there's no good reason to thing that the e-quivalent iPad book wont cost 50% of that RRP as well.

The publishers see the same return on their investment, the authors see their royalties retain the same cash value and increase as a % of the sale price, and I get cheaper books.

As for Amazon losing money on every book sold, it is possible (I guess due to the wireless modem delivery system), but Apple make a slight profit out of serving up larger files at lower prices, books are gonna make them money.
  • Reply 79 of 155
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Wonder how long it will take for Apple to undermine the middle men publishers who are taking the huge cut of the price?

How soon will it be that online services act just like publishers (like CD Baby does for music) and get independent content on the App Store/iTunes for a small percentage of the selling price?

It's like the music/iTunes/iPod thing all over again. No wonder Steve is happy, that old pirate!

The thing is though, as much as this is all a good thing at start, losing 30% of revenue on a book you wrote still seems like a fairly big number after a while, for transaction processing. Credit card companies take about 1-5% normally for basic transaction procession. For the publishers who stag their author/s and give them a stipend to write or whatever the publisher is taking a risk by writing some cheques and things maybe a large % is justified. In this case though its zero risk to Apple. I will be very glad for less middle-men but I was interested if anyone has data on what the current (old-school) cuts are in the publishing world?
  • Reply 80 of 155
    Look, I'm as cost-conscious as they come, and moreso than most honestly.. but nothing here seems particularly outrageous to me (so far). The book pricing seems about right, unless what you want is a book for free, in which case, NOTHING will seem about right. (And I'll be honest, it sounds like that's what a lot of you are really getting at- you think you deserve to pay nothing for anything.) 10 bucks for the regular stuff, 12-15 for premium-- why is that so terrible, exactly?

Besides, as pointed out, if the pricing doesn't work, it will likely come down. I'm sure it won't be long before we see old, no-longer-in-demand titles for 5-8 bucks.

Also, for those of you taking all of your time arguing about the superiority of print over digital: Well sure, there are advantages to print. Just as there are and will be advantages to digital. So all that matters is what advantages you value more, and that's likely to vary from person to person.

Why an apple tablet over a kindle? Maybe no reason at all, big deal. In other words, if all you're looking for is a basic e-reader than the kindle might be what you want. Personally, I don't read much, so the Kindle isn't a worthwhile proposition to me, and since I read magazines more than anything else, the lack of color is a dealbreaker as well.

So again, this is going to vary from person to person. Why all up in arms about it? Take a deep breath. lol honestly. We don't even know anything for certain about this device until later today. If you want to freak out, maybe wait until all the facts are in at least.

One thing that does NOT make sense to me is AppleInsider's claim that "Amazon allegedly takes a loss on e-books that sell for $9.99. The company loses about $4.50 on each sale in order to maintain its dominant position in the market."

I'm not sure how they're getting those numbers, and I think this article explains the pricing situation a lot better: http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kit-...publishers-cut